Umbrellas in Alaska?

Infi

It's been a few years since I've been to Alaska, but when I was last there on Celebrity they provided umbrellas for passenger use while ashore. They were similar to the pool towels in that they were provided and signed out for at the gangway. Does Princess do this? Looking to lighten my packing load for the plane trip!

We were on the Dawn and they did not provide umbrellas. That was a while ago; perhaps they do now.

Since we were going in mid-September and I knew that it would most likely rain I brought my own umbrella. I found a very small one; about 6 or 7 inches when folded up and it has one button you push to open and close. Very handy, light and didn't take up much space.

I think that you can get a lighweight disposable poncho at the dollar store.

That would be my suggestion. I know that I overpacked for our Alaska tour and wish that I had simply purchased a plastic poncho.

I'd read on another thread that umbrellas aren't the best option for Alaska because the sidewalks in many towns are narrow and get very crowded in high season - the umbrellas can bop someone else in the face and generally create snarls as people linger in front of windows or doors.

We had planned on bringing one and after reading that (made sense) we opted for a good waterproof windbreaker with a hood to avoid the hassle. Also one less thing to pack (or accidentally leave at the restaurant on-shore :D)

This Sat. will be my 7th cruise to Alaska and always, always bring an umbrella. Now I also bring my raincoat and have a poncho but while on a excursion I used that umbrella in ketchikan alot. It is up to you but I would bring one.

Marilyn

I'd read on another thread that umbrellas aren't the best option for Alaska because the sidewalks in many towns are narrow and get very crowded in high season - the umbrellas can bop someone else in the face and generally create snarls as people linger in front of windows or doors.)

I hate umbrellas, partially for this reason!

I live in the Seattle area, and most people around here rarely use umbrellas. I like to joke that only tourists use umbrellas. :D They are such a pain to open and close every time you go in and out, especially if you are going into lots of little shops, as you are likely to do in Alaskan ports. And then you are stuck carrying around a wet umbrella indoors. A rain jacket with a hood is so much more convenient, without the risk of putting someone's eye out! :rolleyes:

Save yourself some packing space and a lot of hassle and just leave the umbrellas at home!

Archived