Help! Which of these 2 cruises would you take?

bobnsofi

Hi all, our cruise pals want to book either Island Princess or Carnival Spirit for an August 09 cruise. Below are the itineraries. Which would you experts choose??? Thanks!!!

Island Princess

IslandPrincess.jpg

Carnival Spirit

Spirit.jpg

Hi all, our cruise pals want to book either Island Princess or Carnival Spirit for an August 09 cruise. Below are the itineraries. Which would you experts choose??? Thanks!!!

Island Princess

IslandPrincess.jpg

Carnival Spirit

Spirit.jpg

Considering the Island Princess is a "R" ship they'd win hands down, tho I understand Princess has kind of ruined the ambiance of Class that was built into the Renaissance ships. But those smaller ships are SOOO nice, only 700 passengers. If you truly want to see what they should be...see Oceania or Azamara. Wish I was on one of them instead of Mille And they seem to have a really nice itinerary

I say they both offer some excellent options. Carnival with Sitka is a highlight.

With both the cruises, I would also definately recommend you consider a Prince William Sound boat tour, excellent glacier tour, FAR superior to anything seen from cruiseships.

I'm a big Princess fan but the Carnival schedule would allow you to take the Tracy Arm excursion with Adventure Bound out of Juneau. Very few ships have a schedule that will allow this and it's a fantastic tour.

Royal, Pacific, Ocean, and Tahitian

Actually I believe the Tahitian has been renamed Ocean. Not two separate ships.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2482

I've booked her Northern Europe itinerary for Aug 2010. Looking forward to the small 680 passengers compared to our Med cruise on the Grand at 2600 passengers. We don't care for the behemoths.

I'm a big Princess fan but the Carnival schedule would allow you to take the Tracy Arm excursion with Adventure Bound out of Juneau. Very few ships have a schedule that will allow this and it's a fantastic tour.

Would you prefer 4 port towns and 1 glacier or 3 port towns and 2 glaciers? You're basically deciding between Glacier Bay and Sitka.

Both of these points really get to the issues in my opinion. I would add that the Carnival intinerary gives you a lot more time in Juneau. Even if you choose not to take the Tracy Arm excursion, you'll find so much great stuff to do that you'll benefit from the extra time. That was my only complaint last July on the Diamond. We managed to do both a whale watch and helicopter glacier excursion but it was tight and left no extra time for Juneau itself. If you're leaving at 4:00 , you have to figure on being back on board by 3:00 or very soon after.

Having said all that, we loved the Diamond (bigger than the Island) and really wouldn't have wanted to miss Glacier Bay.

Tough decision but one where you probably can't go wrong. :)

Have a great trip to Alaska.

Hey bobnsofi is this your first Alaskan cruise? If it is, then consider this. On the cruisin towards the glaciers, your first glacier is your best glaiser. Both itineraries are great. If it isn't then you would be just comparing it to your first cruise. Do you prefer sea days or stops? One stops in Sitka and one doesn't. Sitka is a great port with lots of history and walkable. What kind of cabin and budget? Alaska is a BALCONY must cruise and what you think you can aford for one cruise line you may be able to upgrade on the other. Just my thoughts. By the way I am cruisin on the Spirit in June. As for Napi's Mom, ARRTrain, and agabbymama start your own thread.:cool:

Yep, you are right, 1 ship, not 2.

Actually I believe the Tahitian has been renamed Ocean. Not two separate ships.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2482

I've booked her Northern Europe itinerary for Aug 2010. Looking forward to the small 680 passengers compared to our Med cruise on the Grand at 2600 passengers. We don't care for the behemoths.

Either itinerary will be fabulous, but for first-time Alaska cruisers, highly recommend including Glacier Bay in your itin. Next time, include Sitka (which we love). If sailing from/to Whittier, try to work in a cruise in Blackstone Bay, for many breathtaking waterfalls and glaciers, as well as wildlife. Enjoy!

Another BIG plus for Carnival is your ship naturalist Dirk. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm actually looking at adding the 9-2 trip for myself, and he is a significant reason for me.

(I hope to contact him and make sure he has the contract for all season. :) Last several years, after many- around 15 years with Celebrity, he has been jumping all over!!! )

We did the Island Princess our first cruise in Alaska in 2006. We wanted Glacier Bay. It was a great cruise and we'd sail the Island Princess again. But........we also enjoy Carnival and really wanted to see Sitka so this time we are doing the Spirit southbound. I believe we'll have an equally enjoyable cruise on a great ship but I'd be happy to share my opinion upon our return. Good luck with your choice.

K.

Archived