TIPPING ON THE FREEDOM 2 times???

Just want some advice, this time. No one seems to tell me the correct answers.

When I get my sign and sail card, I tell the RCCL people to add the gratititues for my inroom stewards and my Wait staff for all the 7 days I am there so they will add 200.00 extra to my room and wait staff? For the two of us, Why do they give us the extra enevelopes? We overpaid last year, so instead of telling us we paid the tips ahead of time they made us pay an additonal 200.00 more. to me that was totally wrong

I am not giving an extra enevelope, if i choose to do so, let me do it, do not assume that I must do this.

Red:mad:

When I get my sign and sail card, I tell the RCCL people to add the gratititues for my inroom stewards and my Wait staff for all the 7 days I am there so they will add 200.00 extra to my room and wait staff? For the two of us, Why do they give us the extra enevelopes? We overpaid last year, so instead of telling us we paid the tips ahead of time they made us pay an additonal 200.00 more. to me that was totally wrong

I am not giving an extra enevelope, if i choose to do so, let me do it, do not assume that I must do this.

The envelopes are left as a courtesy in case you want to tip others..like a favorite bartender, bar waiter, dealer, etc. Also, many tip addition to the cabin steward, waiters and other.

It's not a ploy at all... You certainly are under no obligation to use them.

The envelopes are left as a courtesy in case you want to tip others..like a favorite bartender' date=' bar waiter, dealer, etc. Also, many tip addition to the cabin steward, waiters and other.

It's not a ploy at all... You certainly are under no obligation to use them.[/quote']

She claims to be a very experienced cruiser. She should already know this. Of course she may not realize how her posts come off-perhaps English is her second language, and she is not expressing what she actually means? Maybe she is really Italian and not an American of Italian decent.

Red, if I had a question, I would have gone to the purser's desk and asked why I was given envelopes when I had pre tipped. This is what any reasoning adult would have done. Either this or simply trash the envelopes. Don't worry that your waiter/steward will think you did not tip. They will know.

I also understand that RCI will give their pre tippers vouchers to put in those envelopes so they can show their steward/waiter that they had tipped, if you request them. I know Disney did this in 2004.

On the other lines I have been, that offered the automatic tipping, HAL,NCL, Princess, did not give us envelopes at all. We did give our waiter and steward extra, which I put in a little note card that I brought. I like to bring thank you cards to give them along with an extra tip.

If you are very worried about this happening again on your May 31 cruise, and you fear contacting the purser's office, and do not want to simply throw away the envelopes, just do not take the option of pre tipping, and tip at the end of the cruise.

I don't think they are forcing you to tip again, they probably give them to everyone JUST IN CASE there is someone you want to give a little extra to.

Or a simple goof up which could have been straightened out at the purser's desk. I think Red was afraid her waiter and steward would think that she had not tipped, and so she tipped again, when perhaps the envelopes were meant for the stateroom next to her.

I haven't been on RCI in nearly 4 years, but I know at that time you could choose automatic tipping or envelope tip, whereas most other lines automatically add the tips to you account, and if you want to envelope tip you need to have those removed. So cruise lines policies are a little different, more people on RCI and Celebrity envelope tip than some of the other lines. I think that is why she was confused. she needs to realize that every cruise line does things a little differently, and if she does not understand how they handle things, she should go to the purser's office. That is what most adults would do if they were concerned. They would not tip twice, unless they really wanted to do this.

How did they "make you" pay the tips a second time? Didn't you know you'd already paid them? They can leave an envelope on the bed every day of the week -- and since the people who get tips are the ones laying them out, I'm sure they do it hoping for more money -- but that doesn't mean you have to put money into it!

I'm certainly not advocating stiffing the ship crew, but once you've paid your tips, your responsibility is done. If you've tipped the suggested amount (and are satisified that that is a reasonable tip), toss the envelopes and don't think about them twice.

She claims to be a very experienced cruiser. She should already know this. Of course she may not realize how her posts come off-perhaps English is her second language, and she is not expressing what she actually means? Maybe she is really Italian and not an American of Italian decent.

Red, if I had a question, I would have gone to the purser's desk and asked why I was given envelopes when I had pre tipped. This is what any reasoning adult would have done. Either this or simply trash the envelopes. Don't worry that your waiter/steward will think you did not tip. They will know.

I also understand that RCI will give their pre tippers vouchers to put in those envelopes so they can show their steward/waiter that they had tipped, if you request them. I know Disney did this in 2004.

On the other lines I have been, that offered the automatic tipping, HAL,NCL, Princess, did not give us envelopes at all. We did give our waiter and steward extra, which I put in a little note card that I brought. I like to bring thank you cards to give them along with an extra tip.

If you are very worried about this happening again on your May 31 cruise, and you fear contacting the purser's office, and do not want to simply throw away the envelopes, just do not take the option of pre tipping, and tip at the end of the cruise.

Thank you for responding, Yes we are italians by first language. We came to this country when we were in our teens so its kind of difficult for her to understand the correct way to talk, and write. She grew up dyslexic and has grammar issues, please understand that she is no stupid by any means. My sister sometimes can not put words in its correct place.

I hope that no one is trying to make fun of her or myself. We try to compensate her grammar. We all understand where she is coming from. Our second language was the hardest for us to learn.

Loretta

They give you envelopes and VOUCHERS to give to those who have served you, so you can say "Thank you" for the service. You can tip additional amounts, if you wish. Many don't. But, it's nice to thank IN PERSON those who have made your vacation special. That's why you get the envelopes.

If you don't want to do that, don't! It's not a requirement!

Thank you for responding, Yes we are italians by first language. We came to this country when we were in our teens so its kind of difficult for her to understand the correct way to talk, and write. She grew up dyslexic and has grammar issues, please understand that she is no stupid by any means. My sister sometimes can not put words in its correct place.

I hope that no one is trying to make fun of her or myself. We try to compensate her grammar. We all understand where she is coming from. Our second language was the hardest for us to learn.

Loretta

Loretta, I did not see dyslexia in Red's posts. It seemed more to me that she used words with similar meaning but not the correct word for what she wanted to express.

BTW, she made 2 threads here on this subject, in the other thread, several people were confused by her post and what she meant- and made several silly jokes. In reply, she smarted off to them and told them they must be drunk, instead of clarifying what she meant.

You seem very intelligent and you are capable of expressing your self correctly. Why would YOU tip twice instead of going and getting this straightened out at the purser's desk-unless you wanted to tip twice?

The correct answer is...if you have pre-paid the tips ahead of time or add them to your sea pass account you don't need to pay them again. You can use the envelopes to give more if you wish, or just use them to put the vouchers into them and leave them for the service staff.

No one made you pay and additional $200, you did that on your own. That you didn't remember you already paid the tips is your own omission. When we pre-pay, it is on our cruise invoice, when we put them on our onboard account, it is on the cabin statement they put under the door. You can also check your statement daily by requesting it at the Guest Relations desk and you will see it listed there.

BTW, unless you are in a suite, your tips for the week would be $68.25 per person, $136.50 for the week. Suites pay a little higher, $84 per person, or $168 for the week. These figures are for 2 people.

BTW, unless you are in a suite, your tips for the week would be $68.25 per person, $136.50 for the week. Suites pay a little higher, $84 per person, or $168 for the week. These figures are for 2 people.

Loretta Marie has stated that they stayed in suites.

• 7 months later...

Archived