Road construction on way to cape liberty

chickadee1

Hi - wondering what construction is like on way to Cape Liberty. Will be coming to Cape Liberty from CT - will be taking Tappan Zee- NOT George Washington Bridge - and would like advice. We are familiar with GSP so will be going that way until we connect over to NJT. What is best way to get there with least construction. Our cruise is on a Thursday, May 28, and we figure to leave Western CT about 9:30. Thanks for help - just remember, GWB is not an option!!

After the bridge take 287 to Palisades Pkwy south (or looks like you can take 9W south to the palisades-actually looks like they are either the same road for a while, or right next to each other)

Then pick up 95 S/NJ Turnpike (right by the GWB) to exit 14A and then follow this

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

there will be construction on the NJTpke on weekends between 14 and 14A but you should be OK!

Thanks meg - but instead of Palisades parkway, what exit would we get off Garden State? You might not remember, but we have a pick up truck and the Palisades is a pretty old road. I have never been on it but a friend was on it recently and says the speed limit is only 50. Would really rather go on GSP - I grew up in Essex County and spent many, many, many miles on the parkway - my grandparents lived at the Jersey Shore and we went there many weekends in the summer!! (I realize the Jersey Shore is way south of where we need to be!!

thanks

oh crap.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=I-287+E%2FI-87+S&daddr=41.077798,-73.919449+to:Garden+State+Pkwy+S+to:Port+Terminal+Blvd,+Bayonne,+NJ+07002+(Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port)&geocode=Fe6_cgId4hGY-w%3B%3BFUd9cQIdZbqV-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=40.973159,-73.963394&sspn=0.243142,0.674286&ie=UTF8&ll=41.074693,-73.92005&spn=0.030346,0.084286&t=h&z=14

try that......i plunked down the starting point as the end of the bridge.....that LOOKS correct.....

oh crap.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=I-287+E%2FI-87+S&daddr=41.077798,-73.919449+to:Garden+State+Pkwy+S+to:Port+Terminal+Blvd,+Bayonne,+NJ+07002+(Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port)&geocode=Fe6_cgId4hGY-w%3B%3BFUd9cQIdZbqV-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&sll=40.973159,-73.963394&sspn=0.243142,0.674286&ie=UTF8&ll=41.074693,-73.92005&spn=0.030346,0.084286&t=h&z=14

try that......i plunked down the starting point as the end of the bridge.....that LOOKS correct.....

Thanks Meg - that will work out very well. I know that in NJ there is always construction but we will keep our fingers crossed. Your way is 1 hr 9 min from end of TZB and it takes a little over an hour to get there from our home so we will figure on 2.5 hrs - that sounds reasonable. If we leave at 9 - we will be there for lunch!!

well...it's google maps' way and SOMETIMES they are a little off....i would say leave maybe 8:30 or so.........just in case!:p

We would be leaving earlier but we are driving our neighbors down also and they need to pick up a Rx that morning after 9 - the drug company won't let them pick it up until the 30 day limit is up. I did ask my friend what she would do if her pill renewal date was during the cruise but she didn't know - it is a necessary pill. I might tell her to try to get samples from her MD. I'm sure we will get there before the sailaway time - just might miss lunch. I have wanted to go on a cruise for many years and I don't want to miss any of it!!

Chickadee1 - You've made it very clear that you don't want to take the GWB, but I would suggest that you need a Plan B in case something awful is happening on the Tappan Zee bridge the day you want to use it. It's unlikely, but driving in the NY area, it's always good to be prepared for any contingency. WINS 1010 has traffic updates for the NY metropolitan area every 10 minutes.

Chickadee1 - You've made it very clear that you don't want to take the GWB, but I would suggest that you need a Plan B in case something awful is happening on the Tappan Zee bridge the day you want to use it. It's unlikely, but driving in the NY area, it's always good to be prepared for any contingency. WINS 1010 has traffic updates for the NY metropolitan area every 10 minutes.

Thanks - we'll keep that in mind. We very rarely go anywhere near NY so we wouldn't think of that radio station. Our friends will have a GPS with us so at least if we have to take a detour we'll be able to find our way!!

FYI....some pharmacies will fill an RX ahead if a person is going on vacation and then run it through the insurance when it is time....(generally BIG places will not, but some smallr ones will................)

ALSO, most Rxs can be filled when the patient is down to 7 days of a med................

OR if they use Target or CVS or something they can fill it anyplace.

Another station is WCBS 880 AM that has good traffic info.

Thanks- I was talking to my friend and it seems she can get her meds the day before so it won't be a problem. Kind of glad -we're driving and certainly didn't want to start the trip off in a bad mood with delays at drug store but now it will be ok. As my friend knows, I get a little antsy when we plan on being somewhere - I tend to like to get there early - and she just drives faster to get there!! As she knows, sometimes I just close my eyes and pray!!

Thanks- I was talking to my friend and it seems she can get her meds the day before so it won't be a problem. Kind of glad -we're driving and certainly didn't want to start the trip off in a bad mood with delays at drug store but now it will be ok. As my friend knows, I get a little antsy when we plan on being somewhere - I tend to like to get there early - and she just drives faster to get there!! As she knows, sometimes I just close my eyes and pray!!

I told you this was under control when I spoke to you yesterday! Actually picking them up on May26th!!!!

I told you this was under control when I spoke to you yesterday! Actually picking them up on May26th!!!!

Hey - you see that I had already said you were able to get them earlier!! Are you following me around cruise critic????? If DH and I don't get any rest between now and when we leave, we won't be able to leave early because of us!!!

Archived