ideas for Victoria, San Francisco or Seattle

I was just wondering if anyone has found things to do in Victoria, San Francisco or Seattle. Has RCCL provided any information to other things to do and see that are not posted in their excursions for these ports. Were traveling Mariner on June 14...a group of 11....thanks for any input :)

For Seattle - the Underground Tour. Google it! We went there on our own - have to get tickets early so we were there when it opened. Well worth it!

Victoria - Parliament Buidings, Empress Hotel for high tea (have to make ressies - $$$$$), Provincial Museum, Royal London Wax Museum, Craigdarroch Castle.

In Seattle consider the Duck Tour -->http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/ Also the Pacific Science Museum and Seattle Center, Experience Music Project, Pike Place Market (go as early as possible), you can rent kayaks and paddle on lake Union, shop at either Nordstrom or REI, both of which have their flagship stores in Seattle.

For San Francisco I'd want to visit Chinatown. Perhaps for dim sum for lunch.

For Seattle - the Underground Tour. Google it! We went there on our own - have to get tickets early so we were there when it opened. Well worth it!

Victoria - Parliament Buidings, Empress Hotel for high tea (have to make ressies - $$$$$), Provincial Museum, Royal London Wax Museum, Craigdarroch Castle.

We are on the June 14th Mariner cruise and am soo looking at doing the Underground tour. You mentioned that you did it on your own. Can you tell me if you took a taxi to it, or another form of transportation? I have bookmarked and read the Web page, but haven't really researched the mode of tranportation to the starting place for it as yet. Also what pier did you dock at? Thank you.

Absolute must is Buchart Gardens in Victoria. We were just there on Friday ... the tulips, dogwoods and rhododendrons were in full bloom. The roses should be blooming within the next month. It was incredibly beautiful. They had a spring liuncheon special that included admission and lunch at the restaurant that was a great bargain and wonderful food and setting. We rented a car and headed out first thing in the morning before all the tour groups arrived. Practically had the place to ourselves for an hour. ;)

We are on the June 14th Mariner cruise and am soo looking at doing the Underground tour. You mentioned that you did it on your own. Can you tell me if you took a taxi to it, or another form of transportation? I have bookmarked and read the Web page, but haven't really researched the mode of tranportation to the starting place for it as yet. Also what pier did you dock at? Thank you.

I don't remember the number of the pier, but I do know that it was the one right near Pike's Market.

We walked to the Underground Tour - took about 25 minutes or so, and it was pretty much a slight downhill all the way. We just headed south from the ship. Seattle is neat in that there were maps everywhere - I'm struggling to remember if they were on bus shelters or what, but you couldn't miss them as you were walking on the sidewalk. I had a map with me as well. It is in old Seattle. I think they opened at 10 or 11 for ticket sales, but that would be on their website. We got tickets for the first show, then shopped a bit in the area while waiting for our show.

So, you would need to find out where you are docked. I know at least one pier is in the middle of nowhere, so you would definitely need to cab it.;)

After the tour, we took the free underground bus to Nordstum's (sp), then took the Monorail to the Space Needle. We did the Space Needle, took the Monorail back, then walked to the Pike's Place (long walk - we're fitness fanatics), went through Pike's Place (which was REALLY crowded), then walked back to the ship.

We did the Alcatraz tour in San Francisco. You can do this on your own, the ferry to Alcatraz leaves just one or two docks down from where the Mariner docks (turn left out of ship terminal). Fisherman's warf was a short distance to the right of the terminal, there you will find places to eat, stores, and the sea lions.

Wow, ya'll took my SF suggestions. The 49 mile tour is really interesting and Alcatraz was a great tour. We've always had a car when visiting, but I've seen several tour buses for SF. Coit Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Presidio, Golden Gate Park, and the Mission District are all great sites.

In Victoria, as has been mentioned, plse don't forget the 55 acre 'world famous' Butchart Gardens they are simply spectacular..as is the magnificent Hatley Castle & Royal Roads University in Hatley Park...The 565 acres are simply beautiful..Japanese, Italian & Rose Gardens, etc etc..and lots of Peacocks...

Was built in 1908 by James Dunsmuir eldest son of Robert a coal 'baron', who built the smaller Craigdarroch Castle..

Victoria is known as the City of Gardens and the hanging flower baskets are lovely - even just a walk or carriage ride around this small clean city is a delight..and the natives tend to be very friendly!! :)

Have happy cruisin'!

I was just wondering if anyone has found things to do in Victoria, San Francisco or Seattle. Has RCCL provided any information to other things to do and see that are not posted in their excursions for these ports. Were traveling Mariner on June 14...a group of 11....thanks for any input :)

this sentence sums it up, I should know I lived there 25 yrs:

After the tour, we took the free underground bus to Nordstrom's, then took the Monorail to the Space Needle. We did the Space Needle, took the Monorail back, then walked to the Pike's Place (long walk - we're fitness fanatics), went through Pike's Place (which was REALLY crowded -- but it is worth watching the fish vendors throwing fish), then walked back to the ship.

Was it difficult getting around canada driving ? Where did you rent the car from and was the rental place close to port.

We rented from Hertz because I have a gold account and we got good rates through AAA. However, all the major car rentals are available in Victoria. Hertz picked us up at the pier and when we returned the car, dropped us off downtown at our request. We strolled around the downtown area and then walked back through Beacon Park (lovely) to the ship.

There is no problem driving in Canada and our auto insurance covered us. We live in California. Roads are good and traffic is the usual.

Archived