Tell me about Brilliance, Grand Suites, and...

:D Background: Wife & I planning a 3oth anniv. Med cruise in Nov 2010. New to RC. Saw a good itinerary out of Barcelona, have a few questions we would like opinions on from someone other than RCCL employees.

1. I'm somewhat claustrophobic, and this is a special occaision, so decided on a GS. Your thoughts, experiences, favourite cabin ( Brilliance).

2. List of perks mentions hors d'ourves and drinks in concierge lounge in "afternoon ? ". How long, when, and what drinks are free?.

3. Pictures and videos tell me this is a very beautiful ship...is that true or is it even better in person?

4. Specialty restaurants....your opinions? Cost is fine with me.

5. Is solarium/pool as excellent as I have read?

Many thanks to any and all who are kind enough to respond.

Ken

:D Background: Wife & I planning a 3oth anniv. Med cruise in Nov 2010. New to RC. Saw a good itinerary out of Barcelona, have a few questions we would like opinions on from someone other than RCCL employees.

1. I'm somewhat claustrophobic, and this is a special occaision, so decided on a GS. Your thoughts, experiences, favourite cabin ( Brilliance).

2. List of perks mentions hors d'ourves and drinks in concierge lounge in "afternoon ? ". How long, when, and what drinks are free?.

3. Pictures and videos tell me this is a very beautiful ship...is that true or is it even better in person?

Ken

We took the Barcelona Med cruise last August. We loved the Brilliance and had a great time.

If I was picking a GS, I would take 1556, because people say that it has a larger expanse of glass than the other GS. 1060 has a huge balcony. Any GS in the centrum area will be close to the CL and very convenient.

The drinks were from 5:30 to 8:30 if I remember, and they serve simple mixed drinks, wine and champagne.

I liked the ship very much, but it is a bit quieter than the larger ships (which DH and kids prefer).

We went to Portofino one night, and it was very nice.

The round-trip from Barcelona is a nice itinerary and you can't go wrong; it was one of our favorite vacations.

1. I love the Grand Suites - and 1556 is my favorite cabin on the Radiance Class ships. I have 1556 booked for the Brilliance cruise in June. It is a "hump" cabin, which I really like. It is also close to the center of the ship, allowing easy access to the Concierge Lounge, Dining Rooms, Pool, and elevators. It also had less "movement", as my DH is prone to seasickness.

2. Besides the free appetizers and free basic drinks, there's also access to free continental breakfasts in the morning; we love the Concierge Lounge simply for the chance to sit down before dinner and socialize with others.

3. I think you'll find the Brilliance a beautiful ship - the Radiance class ships are unique in all of the glass - allowing views of the ocean from almost anywhere on the ship.

4. Both Chops and Portofino are excellent; we also like to do the Mystery Dinner at Portofino, as well as the Wine-Pairing Dinner.

5. In my opinion, the pool is 'just a pool' - nothing fancy there. The Solarium, however, is nice. Be aware, though, that on sea days, both can get crowded rather quickly...the Solarium will especially get crowded if the weather is chilly.

Hope this helps - I'll be sure to post a review and pictures after my cruise in June, allowing you to see Room 1556.

Sherri

Ken

You will enjoy this ship, it is one of my favourites.

As you are booking a suite you will have access to the Lounge 24 hours a day.

Drinks are free between 5-830 and there is a good selection.

You will have priority bookings through the concierge and fast track boarding at Barcelona

In the cabin will be Coffee and tea making facilities a bar and a great bathroom.

you can have Breakfast there but would reccomend the free room service as you have a larger menu than other cabins.

Both restaurants are excellent but prefer Portofino as a wider choice and the steak is just as good as Chops.

The solarium is great but can get crowded.

One thing you have to try is the self levelling Pool table while at sea, dont watch it if its rough as you could become sea sick.

Would be a great place to sleep though

hope it helps.

Coxwain is doing live from the Brilliance on this blog now so ask him any questions

Have a great cruise.

Archived