Cheese info in Vancouver please

Can't find it there. Since Kraft wouldn't let me get it from them I just assumed it couldn't be bought in the states.

Fortunately, we have friends in Victoria and we visit up there every once in a while or they come down to the US.

Going up for a cruise is really the best way to buy cheese. ;)

Thanks for your input.

Colette

Thanks Koolforkatz. I don't think we'll have time for Costco. I love using MacLaren's for Welsh Rarebit. Great brunch treat with a wonderful hefty ale.

I will google Costco, however, in case we have the time.

Happy Sails! Colette

How do you make it??? I just had Welsh Rarebit for the first time and WOW LOVED IT!!!!

I love Maclarens as well....How do you make Welsh Rarebit using Maclarens please :)

Welsh Rarebit

butter

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp dry mustard

3/4 cup beer or ale (the stronger the better :rolleyes:)

1-1/4 cups milk

1-1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (use MacLarens :))

1 tblsp wine vinegar

1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce

san & white pepper to taste

6 slices bread

Melt 1/4 c butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; increase heat to medium.

Add flour and mustard; stir until smooth. Add beer; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add milk alternately with cheese; bring to boil and stir until smooth after each addition. Add vinegar, Worster, salt & pepper; mix well. Keep warm.

Spread butter liberally on each slice of bread; place on cookie sheet. Broil until toasted. Place each slice of bread on heatproof plate; spoon cheese sauce over each slice. Dot each serving with small amount of butter; broil until sauce is bubbly & brown. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Yield 6 servings.

I also like to add a slice of tomato and sometimes crushed bacon bits. :):)

Welsh Rarebit

butter

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp dry mustard

3/4 cup beer or ale (the stronger the better :rolleyes:)

1-1/4 cups milk

1-1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (use MacLarens :))

1 tblsp wine vinegar

1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce

san & white pepper to taste

6 slices bread

Melt 1/4 c butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; increase heat to medium.

Add flour and mustard; stir until smooth. Add beer; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add milk alternately with cheese; bring to boil and stir until smooth after each addition. Add vinegar, Worster, salt & pepper; mix well. Keep warm.

Spread butter liberally on each slice of bread; place on cookie sheet. Broil until toasted. Place each slice of bread on heatproof plate; spoon cheese sauce over each slice. Dot each serving with small amount of butter; broil until sauce is bubbly & brown. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Yield 6 servings.

I also like to add a slice of tomato and sometimes crushed bacon bits. :):)

Thank you so much :)

I am going to use dh's Guiness for this ;D

Scottbee: Just came back from our local Costco with a chunk of Balderson Aged Cheddar. I couldn't believe it when I saw the name and knew it was the name you suggested. I just had a very lovely piece of it and it is definitely on my list of things to buy in Vancouver to have in our hotel room (to go along with a nice bottle of BC wine, of course). Thanks for the tip. It was a yummy one. :):)

Colette

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd check back to let you all know of our success. Thank you for your advice. When we got to Vancouver, we went to Urban Fare on Bute/Cordova and told them we would like to buy a dozen Maclarens cold pack and would like to pick them up at the end of our cruise. We had already emailed them regarding this request and one of the girls behind the cheese counter remember the email from July and helped us with the process of setting up the order. The day we returned from Alaska we were heading to the airport and had our driver stop at Urban Fare. We hastened in and there was our cheese, in the fridge behind the courtesy counter, all charged up and ready to go. Couldn't have worked out any better. What a nice way to do business. I just thought you would like to know (as if you didn't already) what nice people live in Vancouver. Thanks again.

BTW, We had a wonderful cruise with perfect weather. We also enjoyed our 3 days in Vancouver. Would love to do it all again....very soon.

Cheers & thanks. Colette

Archived