Cheese info in Vancouver please

Our favorite cheese is not available in the States. It is Maclarens Imperial cold pack cheddar. We have been buying it by the doz every time we visit Canada. When we lived in Victoria years ago, I got hooked. We are coming to Van for a cruise in August and would like to know where the closest place to buy this cheese would be near Canada Place. Our return flight isn't until 3 pm in Sept and I figure this will give me enough time to disembark, buy cheese, stow it in the bags to be checked and get to the airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are also thinking that maybe certain stores would be willing to ship it home for us. Maybe??? Thanks for your help. :) Colette

Our favorite cheese is not available in the States. It is Maclarens Imperial cold pack cheddar. We have been buying it by the doz every time we visit Canada. When we lived in Victoria years ago, I got hooked. We are coming to Van for a cruise in August and would like to know where the closest place to buy this cheese would be near Canada Place. Our return flight isn't until 3 pm in Sept and I figure this will give me enough time to disembark, buy cheese, stow it in the bags to be checked and get to the airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are also thinking that maybe certain stores would be willing to ship it home for us. Maybe??? Thanks for your help. :) Colette

It's a good choice, I'd also recommend the Balderson aged cheddar. As for getting it, Urban Fare (an upscale Save On Foods) should have it, corner of Cordova and Bute.

Thank you Scottbee. That's exactly the info I needed. I was able to google Urban Fare and got a map from their web site. Also, we certainly will try the Balderson. Can't pass up a good aged cheddar. Thanks again. I love CC boards. Someone out there always seems to have the answer. :)

Thank you Scottbee. That's exactly the info I needed. I was able to google Urban Fare and got a map from their web site. Also, we certainly will try the Balderson. Can't pass up a good aged cheddar. Thanks again. I love CC boards. Someone out there always seems to have the answer. :)

les amis du FROMAGE is an excellent place, although a little out of downtown. Just head over the burrard bridge and it's on your left 1 block off burrard on 2nd ave

Costco has the Balderson on sale...guess who bought two of them??? YUMMY :)

I LOVE the Maclarens Imperial cold pack cheddar

Costco has the Balderson on sale...guess who bought two of them??? YUMMY :)

I LOVE the Maclarens Imperial cold pack cheddar

I'm also a fan of Armstrong cheddar. I grew up eating it and don't remember it tasting so good. We always serve it to visitors who rave about it. Safeway has it on sale 2/1 all the time.

If anyone is heading up the valley toward Harrison Hot Springs, the Farm House cheese place is very good. They make goat and cow cheese on the farm.

Viv

Thanks all. Since we will be purchasing cheese after our cruise and we are flying out that same day, I think we have to buy our cheese as close to Canada Place as possible unless there was a place in the airport. Granville Island might take too much time. Fortunately, we are with HAL and should be in port by 7 am if all goes according to schedule and our flight out isn't until 3:15 pm which should give us enough time before having to be at the airport at the pre-requisite 90-120 minutes before flight time.

Happy Sails!~!!! :)

I know the product well and it is widely available in Vancouver supermarkets including most Safeways...if you are taking a taxi to YVR there is a Safeway on the way at 70th & Granville on the right hand side of the street.

I know the product well and it is widely available in Vancouver supermarkets including most Safeways...if you are taking a taxi to YVR there is a Safeway on the way at 70th & Granville on the right hand side of the street.

I think Safeway also sells Armstrong Chedder....Extra old....YUM :)

Actually even since reading this thread, I have been CRAVING Maclarens's cheese (nuked in Microwave for 20 secs to soften it) then spread on a really good sourdough bread and tossed under a hot broiler for about a minute for the cheese to brown and get warm.....YUM :)

Thanks for all the input. Safeway is always a safe last bet. I will try Urban Fare first since it is fairly close to Canada Place but, if that doesn't happen, we'll have the taxi stop for us on the way to the airport.

Also, look up a good recipe for Welsh Rarebit and use Maclarens. DOUBLE YUM!!! :):)

Most supermarkets carry that cheese . The American's would have a problem with the cheese being shipped across the border.

The best would be to take a taxi to a large supermarket and buy the cheese.Then pack it in your carry on or in the luggage.:cool:

It's also one of my favorite cheeses.

Doopydozer, We've settled on that idea. We'll be in Van for 3 days prior to cruise so will check all possibilities then. We'll have plenty of time when we arrive back in Vancouver A.M. to taxi where needed and get back and pack many containers of cheese in our checked baggage. I've already checked with customs web site and it says certain cheese products are acceptable and I think because of the packaging of Maclaren's it won't be a problem. Thanks all.:D:D:D

Interestingly DW tells me that Imperial Cheese is available in our Safeway in Fort Mohave, AZ and it seems to be a Kraft product so I don't know if that means it may be available in Von's stores in CA.

Interestingly DW tells me that Imperial Cheese is available in our Safeway in Fort Mohave, AZ and it seems to be a Kraft product so I don't know if that means it may be available in Von's stores in CA.

Vons is strictly Southern CA. We have Safeway's in Northern CA. (I love that my Safeway card works when I go home to visit my family.)

That's really surprising that you found the cheese in AZ. I phoned Kraft Canada about a year ago to request PLEASE, PLEASE export Maclaren's to the U.S. I don't remember what reason they gave me but said it wouldn't be done. Next time we go to AZ I will certainly check it out. In fact, I will give Kraft Canada another call. Perhaps things have changed. One can only hope!

• 1 month later...

I've communicated with Urban Fare by email and they just confirmed to me that they do carry our favorite cheese (Maclarens Imperial) and they are going to work with us so we can pick up our required amount when we return from our cruise. :D:D:D

It's lovely doing business with people who care about their customers!!

Thank you for the suggestion of Urban Fare. I knew we could get it from the big grocers in BC but wanted to get something close to the cruise dock so we could pack it in our checked bags before getting to the airport. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to our 3 days in Vancouver almost as much as the 2 week cruise. 5 more weeks.....:D:D

Thanks again CC folks. You're the best!

I've communicated with Urban Fare by email and they just confirmed to me that they do carry our favorite cheese (Maclarens Imperial) and they are going to work with us so we can pick up our required amount when we return from our cruise. :D:D:D

It's lovely doing business with people who care about their customers!!

Thank you for the suggestion of Urban Fare. I knew we could get it from the big grocers in BC but wanted to get something close to the cruise dock so we could pack it in our checked bags before getting to the airport. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to our 3 days in Vancouver almost as much as the 2 week cruise. 5 more weeks.....:D:D

Thanks again CC folks. You're the best!

Actually Urban Fare is the upscale boutique grocery chain of BC's biggest supermarket chain , owned by BC's richest man.

Thank you Scottbee. I checked out that article and, after seeing the name, I remember it from when we lived in Victoria. Looking forward to enjoying our cheese again. Also, I think we'll try what you recommended for our stay in Vancouver. Thanks again.

Colette :):)

Thanks Koolforkatz. I don't think we'll have time for Costco. I love using MacLaren's for Welsh Rarebit. Great brunch treat with a wonderful hefty ale.

I will google Costco, however, in case we have the time.

Happy Sails! Colette

I also buy really good cheese in Canada every chance I get when I have a bag to check. I take along very large Zip-Loc bags to use when packing up the cheese for my checked bag. If I am doin carry on only, I eat as much cheese as I can do in Canada and forget about cholesterol.

Why does Canadian food taste so much better than US food?

I also buy really good cheese in Canada every chance I get when I have a bag to check. I take along very large Zip-Loc bags to use when packing up the cheese for my checked bag. If I am doin carry on only, I eat as much cheese as I can do in Canada and forget about cholesterol.

Why does Canadian food taste so much better than US food?

Because you're on vacation?

Since MacLarens is a product of Kraft I tried to find out why we couldn't buy it in the States or at least let me buy it by mail, but to no avail. They couldn't give me the reason.Sooooo, anytime we're up there, that is a must.

If we have friends visiting from Canada they always bring us our cheese.

Cheese is good. :D:D:D

Archived