Open Seating Dining

Rosieo

We usually go for traditional fixed seating dining but this cruise we picked the open seating. Any tips for this. Should we book all our dining times right away or just go day by day. Can we get seated if we don't make reservations or will we have to wait. I am assuming it will depend on the time we go. When are the slower times, so we can just show up and not have wait. And what are the chances for getting a small table just for the three of us?

In Dec. on Oosterdam DH and I had AYWD which worked out well for us. The first 2 nights we made reservations. After that, we went to dinner when we were hungry which generally was around 7 pm. We asked for a table for 2 and many times we were seated right away. If we were told the wait would be 15 min. or more we would choose to sit at a table with other pax. They fill up the large table and then the waiter takes your order.

Before things get too confusing - EVERYONE has AYWD!!!! Some have the traditional (fixed) dining and others have open (anytime) seating - as the OP noted.

To the OP - the less crowded times will vary by itinerary. Last summer in Europe there were LONG lines (45 min waits - given a pager similar to a chain restaurant on land) after about 7:15. The CD made several announcements during the cruise along the lines of 'To avoid long waits for dinner, dine before...' Good Luck.

I also have only done the fixed time seating but this time will be doing open as I will have my kids with me. I'm wondering where/how do you make a reservation for open? Do you really have to do this every two days?

Our recent southeast Asia cruise was the first cruise we took since open seating dining started. There was a staff member by the aft elevators on the lido deck who was there pretty much all day, and he booked reservations.

I also have only done the fixed time seating but this time will be doing open as I will have my kids with me. I'm wondering where/how do you make a reservation for open? Do you really have to do this every two days?
On embarkation day there will be a table (or two) somewhere near the dining room doors on the lower level. After that you can call in the morning. IIRC the starting time for calls is 8:00a.

And yes, I think in most cases you have to do it every two days if you always want the same time. We only made reservations one day at a time because we wanted more flexibility to change our minds.

On the Noordam recently, there was a crew member in the Lido restaurant (towards midships elevator, port side) with a podium and a laptop making reservations. I don't know how it worked, as that was something we didn't need to bother with.

We were on the Oosterdam in March for 2 weeks and switched from fixed seating to open seating early in the cruise. We loved the flexibility of open seating, as well as the opportunity to meet a lot of people. The one night that we dined with just the 2 of us, we made a reservation ahead of time. All the other times we just arrived at the dining room when we felt like it. We always asked to be seated with other passengers, and never once had to wait. We wouldn't consider anything but Open Seating from now on.

Archived