Greetings from the Volendam

Sage

I'm aboard the beautiful Volendam, and the weather has been great. The service is excellent. The suite was a bit warm the first day, but that was quickly corrected, and now it is fine. The ship is in good condition, and I always thought that the Rotterdam was my favorite, but I now have a new favorite, the Volendam. The Rossario Strings are playing to SRO each night, and are truly delightful. I will be happy to answer any questions. The Pinnacle is also now open for lunch.

We spent the night last nigh in St. Thomas. The Captain decided that since it was such a short trip, that we would sail today at 5am and dock in Tortola at 7am. The weather has been fabulous with only a brief rain shower last night in St. Thomas and one this morning in Road Town. There is only one other ship here with us, the Norwegian Spirit. The dining room staff has been excellent, and the food has been delicious. There is no problems with the orders been incorrect, or the quantity of food. If you would like two of something, just ask. The food in the Pinnacle is incredible. The service is a bit more leisurely, and it took a little over two hours, but we were chatting and having a great time, and we could have been out sooner if we chose.

The ship is very clean, and this crew if by far the most friendly of all the HAL ships we have been on. The Rossairo Strings continue to play to standing room only, and are there for a little over two hours on this sailing. They also play in the dining room. The Captain is very accesible, and is often seen in the dining room speaking with passengers. The crew seems very happy, and our cabin steward has been here over 7 years and will renew after his vacation.

The Concierge Theresa is wonderful, and Hazel is also there during the afternoon. They were our Concierge's on the Rotterdam, so it was like old home week for us. There were many hugs exchanged, and my tea has arrived every afternoon since boarding. The room service is very prompt, not only in my cabin but also in my daughter's and friend's cabin. They are in an A category and an I category. We are in 7001, and it is gorgeous.

I will check back in this afternoon and be happy to answer any further questions Oh, the horseback riding has been offered at $49 instead of $79 for this sailing, and the stingray adventure has been lowered to $19. The stingrays have been brought over from the Caymen's so they are used to people and being fed.

Sage, so happy to hear good reports from one of my favorite ships in HAL's fleet. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time onboard. Keep her in good shape as Ekerr19 and I board her on March 20th!!!

Keep the reports coming, we're all enjoying them.

Oh, the horseback riding has been offered at $49 instead of $79 for this sailing, and the stingray adventure has been lowered to $19.
I have to wonder if the new excursions are not going over as well as hoped. I wouldn't mind doing the horseback riding, and $49 is a lot more appealing than $79.:)

I'm on the Volendam with Sage, in fact we went shopping together yesterday. The biggest problem with my cabin is that is has been COLD!!! and my table at dinner has been chilly. Other than that, it has been fantastic. Other than not re-applyng sunblock on my back today. But live and learn.

Yesterday my dinner choice was my favorite, Lamb Shank. Tomorrow one of my tablemates and I will try the Pinacle.

Sage,

Thanks for your posts. We are on Volendam in June 05 in A6173.

I am new to HAL. what is the concierge service, and is it available in all room catagories or just S and above??

Glad you are having fun.

PS and S only. See the "Suite Life" sections at http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/accommodations.do for a listing of "perks" ("Neptune Lounge" is the heading for the concierge services)

-dave

Yesterday we were in Dominica, and it was very hot in town, but we did the tram tour, and once you began your climb into the mountains, the weather cooled dramatically. We turned off the A/C and opened windows. The tram tour was fantastic, and we had a great time. The tour guide was outstanding, and the people of Dominica were very friendly. The ship continues to be a delight, and the people on the ship seem to be a very friendly bunch. I haven't heard any complaints, or maybe I'm just not where people are complaining. The Ocean Bar rocks every night with Rain, and they are wonderful. My DD is on a tour this morning, so I will report back on that tour later. The Volendam continues to hold its place as my new favorite ship.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The horseback riding on HMC is not doing well because there aren't enough riders on board to keep it busy. This is one of the new excursions aimed at a younger audience. I hope HAL can sustain it, but I think it will be tough. When we were at HMC in late November, there were so few children on board that the new water park (designed primarily for kids) was practically deserted.

There was a Rhino Rider/ inflatable boat snorkeling excursion in Barbados when we were there on the Volendam. There were only FOUR of us on it from the Volendam. The tour operator told us that their business from HAL was almost non existant.

When we were at HMC in late November, there were so few children on board that the new water park (designed primarily for kids) was practically deserted.
Any guess which age range will be attracted to the water park. Just tots, or older kids too?

Hello Sage,

Thank you for the information,our first cruise with HAL was on the Volendam and we loved it. We are thinking about doing it again this fall,but have read some recent comments that concerned us. Hope the rest of your cruise is the best yet,and keep the info coming.

Archived