Carnival Sea Miles Master card???

newbieMom

I have over 60,000 point on this card and they are totally unusable.

The card and the program sucks. I wouldn't go near this with a 10ft pole.

Still hoping some unhappy card user

will void their info on the magnetic strip on the back

by using a magnet -and/or send their (expired?) card to me, pleease!?

I've wanted one of those cards with the ship on the front

for my card collection -for some time now.

Mail it to:

David Hunt

3 Erdiston Drive, Pine Gardens.

St.Michael -BARBADOS

I'd really appreciate it, honestly.

(Incurable collector!)

I guess we are in the minority in-so-much as we are very happy with the card. Although we do not always pay the entire amount off every month, we are never late in payment as we use the online bill paying feature from our bank.

Last year I booked three cabins (2 balconies and an inside) through their private TA using the discount features (1 - 25000 mile reward + 1 - 10000 mile reward). Before calling their private TA I did a significant amount of research. I knew exactly which category of cabin I wanted and the amount that Carnival was advertising on their website. I passed this information on to the TA and got exactly what I was looking for (minus the discount that was advertised for each reward level).

Also, due to price reductions in the months that followed, I called the TA to explain that I should be entitled to OBC (a feature that has since been eliminated by Carnival). No problem - I received them as promised.

I guess that if you are willing to do the legwork and stay informed, the system works. It was nice to earn double miles on the price of the cruise itself along with purchases made onboard.

At this point in time, I see no reason for us to cancel.

Redeemed 50,000 sea miles for our upcoming Glory cruise on oct. 31, 2009. Category 8b balcony. Received a discount of 400.00 dollars. Totally not worth it. For a 7 day free cruise, like others have suggested, you would need over 100,000 sea miles. They get you with the infatuation of a free cruise, but it is far from free, and the card sucks. Just got off the miracle this past saturday, and have used the card for the last time.

I have over 60,000 point on this card and they are totally unusable. Also, the miles expire so now everymonth I see my miles total go down since I no longer use the card. The card and the program sucks. I wouldn't go near this with a 10ft pole.

The miles don't expire every month, they expire after 5 years. Each month, a new set of points is expiring, which is why they're rolling off now.

No, it's not the greatest, but it's worked for us. For the first year or so, I used it exclusively for all monthly expenses - and the miles added up quick with day care! :p Now I just use it for Carnival purchases for the double miles.

Considering I get most everything double miles these days, it probably averages out fo a 1% return for us. I was saving for a free cruise, but when we got invited on a last minute 4 day on the Ecstasy, I cashed in the 88k in points I had for about $800 off our trip. Wouldn't have been able to do that cruise with my aunt and uncle without them!

I guess we're the 1 out of 10 that haven't had any problems with it so far. The woman I booked my cruise with was great. They matched the best available rate with Carnival.

We have the card and have no problems with it because we use it only for Carnival stuff, if there is a balance, pay it off every month, only have it because of the picture on the front, have no intention of using the rewards (DH is a TA), but it sure is cute!

Totally not worth it.

Just got off the Miracle this past Saturday, and have used the card for the last time.

Hoping you'll void the info on the magnetic strip on the back

by using a magnet -and send it to me, pleease!

I've wanted one of those cards with the ship on the front

for my card collection -for some time now.

.................................................. .....

David Hunt

3,Erdiston Drive, Pine Gardens.

St.Michael -BARBADOS

I'd really appreciate it, honestly.

(Incurable collector!)

I've been collecting a few ship cards as well...those I can get!

Please have a look at the sort of design variation

that's happened to Carnival cards over the years.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/Misc/Ship%20CARDS/

These are just a few photos I've saved from the CC message boards from time to time

plus pics of our recent cards.

Does anyone else in here collect cruise cards?

I've come across interest in ship-pins

but no card collectors other than folks who simply hold on to their own cards, post-cruise...

Thanks for reading.

David Hunt

Barbados!

Hoping you'll void the info on the magnetic strip on the back

by using a magnet -and send it to me, pleease!

FWIW, just because the card has been de-mag'd, does not render it unuseable. The merchant can still manually input the card #s to process a transaction. Ideally, what you are looking for is somebody with an expired card AND a closed account.

FWIW, just because the card has been de-mag'd, does not render it unuseable.

The merchant can still manually input the card #s to process a transaction.

Ideally, what you are looking for is somebody with an expired card AND a closed account.

Thank you for pointing that out!!

I keep hoping ...anyone?

Sorry... :o

I cashed in after 4 yrs of adding points. 50,000+ All I saved was $400 off the regular price!!! So much hassle to see if tips were added, they booked me on the bottom of the ship very close to the bow. You have to book through seamiles. My regular carnival agent "who I will keep nameless" told me it is the worst thing carnival had done. It makes carnival look bad. All I have to say is I don't have the card anymore and I would have rather paid the extra $400 and booked straight through carnival and had the chance to upgrade and not so much hassle.

Gary & Jo Ann

"The Cruisin Cajuns"

Truimph Feb 20, 2010

Glory 2008

Fantasy 2008

Holiday 2007

Ecstasy 2007

Sensation 2005

Conquest 2004

I haven't had a problem with the card, and I've had it for two years now. I just used 25,000 points for $250 off my September cruise, and the prices at seamiles were exactly the same as on carnival.com. I pay off my card every month, and really I only use it these days for carnival and S&S purchases that way I get double points. By the time I get back from my cruise next week, I'll have another 10,000 points points which is good for $100 off.

As pp's have stated, I think it's a better deal to use your points for a discount than for the free cruise. 10,000 is good for $100/off and 25,000 is good for $250/off.

I used to use my Citi World Mastercard for everything, because you could use 100 ThankYou points to buy $100 Carnival gift certificates, but they discountinued that reward.

The only bad thing like others have said, is that I was one-day late paying my card because it was due on a Sunday, and they raised my rate to 24%, but since I don't keep a balance on the card, it hasn't really affected me, except it pretty much guarantees I'll NEVER keep a balance on that card. Their loss.

If you charge on the card and don't pay it off after 30 days, you will end up paying FAR more in interest to the credit card company...than the "discount" you would get for a cruise. This really applies to any "rewards" program. As a wise man once said, "Those that understand interest earn it, and those that don't PAY IT!"

If you compare "cash back" vs. "rewards" programs for credit card purchases you may find that most rewards are not equivalent to the cash back, even within the same program! For example...with my credit card... I could get cash back, or an ipod (among other rewards). The cash back I would receive is more than enough to go out and purchase an ipod...and still have money left over! Why bother with the reward when I can have the cash?

If you use a "cash back" rewards program, and just bank the money...you can use it on cruises or airlines...whatever you want...and do much better than just trying to get the rewards. The return for cash back, just seems to work better.

I should mention that this advice doesn't apply to "introductory offers". I have had friends that enjoy first class travel...opening several credit cards for "50,000 miles" making the required purchases to comply with the terms of the agreement, and then promptly closing out the card once they got their points.

I'll admit that I have opened department store cards in order to save an extra 30-40% and promptly closed them after I promptly paid off the card and got the desired benefit.

Hi there!!!

Hey David..let me know if u get the card...I have one for u if i can find it!!!

God bless YOU, babe!

You've made my day..many thanks indeed!

I knew some kind person would come forward, but didn't expect a best-CC-friend :)

Check your email.

DH

Has anyone had a good experience with these guys? I have about 35,000 points as of today.

I have used the card for over 4 years. I accumlated 150,000 points. I use it for everything, pay it off every month and am never late. I had a very easy time booking my trip. We have a balcony cabin on the Pride in October for 2. All we had to pay for was the port fees and taxes $119 total. As long as nothing goes wrong between now and then I will be very happy. However, I don't think I will continue to use the card. The return isn't as good as the American express blue. They give $100 for $7,500 spent.

If you're looking for a free cruise with your Sea Miles, you better charge everything from your mortgage to your son's four year college tutition. But, if you're looking for a discount on a cruise . . . I think it's pretty good. My Dream cruise in January will be the third time I've used my cruise points and after my $250.00 deposit . . . my balance is $114.00 (and I cruise alone so pay a fortune to do so). I've had my Sea Miles card for about three years now and I have no complaints. I pay my card in full each month (so don't have to worry about the interest . . . don't even know what it is). :p

DH and I each got the Carnival Sea Miles MC on our recent cruise. Has anyone used sea miles before? Any strategies for getting the most bang for our buck (or points rather?) There wasn't any info included with the card on what types of discounts/perks we can get with points...anyone know where to find those? And is it wrong that I want to put EVERYTHING on this card and get another cruise ASAP? LOL!

I have a sea miles card too. I also have a Celebrity card from Celebrity cruise line. With the Carnival card you get one point for every dollar spent. Double if you use it for booking a Carnival Cruise and one the ship. Connect it with your sail&sign card. You can use it for discounts on future cruises. However, in order to use it and get the discount you must book directly with Carnival. Carnival told me I could not get an OBC with it.

The Celebrity card on the other hand can be used for discounts and they also give on board credits. My wife and I use Celebrity Cruise Line for longer trips. Celebrity has more 12 night cruises or longer than does Carnival.

I have used the card for over 4 years. I accumlated 150,000 points. I use it for everything, pay it off every month and am never late. I had a very easy time booking my trip. We have a balcony cabin on the Pride in October for 2. All we had to pay for was the port fees and taxes $119 total. As long as nothing goes wrong between now and then I will be very happy. However, I don't think I will continue to use the card. The return isn't as good as the American express blue. They give $100 for $7,500 spent.

Your story is almost mine. Exactly what we do pay off every month. Use it for almost everything. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out wonderfully for you.

I have found that the card works better on 7-day cruises versus 5-day. With 50,000 miles I received $640 off our October 2009 cruise. My issue with the card happened last December 2008 when they arbitrarily cut my credit limit. My husband went to use the card for xmas and was denied. We had a $14,000 limit with only $2,500 used on it. I also pay off every month, never pay any fees. Called them and they told me since I never used more than $3,500 they lowered the limit to that amount. That's fine if my $2,500 payment wasn't in the mail, not late either, which then reduced my available credit to $1,000... not a good situation if we had been out of the country on vacation! I received a notice a week later telling me my credit limit was cut and oh by the way, we charged you an over the limit fee and hurt your credit score, the whole debt/credit ratio thing, since the card was now maxed out. I have since used my miles on the upcoming cruise and now I am canceling the card. I can understand cutting limits on people who are behind, but, because they don't make money on me they will cut my credit??? just not right!

I have since used my miles on the upcoming cruise and now I am canceling the card.-- just not right!
When you cancel the account

please may I have your 'dead' card for my ship-card collection?

I'm serious! -no funny stuff.. (the account's going to be dead,anyway!)

Just void the data on the back with a magnet,

and send your then-useless card to me at postal address..

David Hunt

3 Erdiston Drive

Pine Gardens,

St.Michael

BARBADOS

In the Caribbean

When you cancel the account

please may I have your 'dead' card for my ship-card collection?

I'm serious! -no funny stuff.. (the account's going to be dead,anyway!)

Just void the data on the back with a magnet,

and send your then-useless card to me at postal address..

David Hunt

3 Erdiston Drive

Pine Gardens,

St.Michael

BARBADOS

In the Caribbean

Wouldn't it just be easier to get your own?

Wouldn't it just be easier to get your own?
Have you noticed where I live?

Life is quite different where I live. They wouldn't give me one, living down here.

No US Social Security number for starters! ;)

And I'm not jumping thru their hoops,anyways! :D

And quite frankly, no I don't ever want to own a credit card, not even Carnival's!!

--certainly not after hearing all this cute stuff about it.

I just want a used/disused one for my card collection!

Archived