VEENDAM REFITTED: RETREAT Area

JimVrhovac

Help, Vickie R!

When did you witness such terrible, unnecessary behavior from the piano bar pianist on the Maasdam? My "dream cruise" of the Voyage of the Vikings is on the Maasdam this coming July. I'd hate to think that the pianist that you saw will be on the the Maasdam then.

This was last yr to St. Lucia, Barb etc. He was as crude as it comes when not at the piano. After a brief chat the first night we found he was only on for one or two cruises then home, not to worry.

The next day he joined us and others for a beer by the Lido pool so far so good, but then he acted out a joke I laughed for a split second then actually dropped my mouth open as i realized exactly what he meant. that was the last we saw of him where we could have any interaction, so yuk and i am sure he will not be back. I could not be the only one who saw this character in action,,,great piano player though....:)

I have been on many HAL cruises and never ever encountered this behavior from anyone, guest to waiters to stewards to entertainers. i think he spent all his time on music education and missed the polishing of manners.

The trio in the Ocean Bar on the Veendam was sure better than any of the quartets

that I have heard on any other HAL ship. There have been good and not so good piano

players in the piano bar. I was waiting to hear the halcats on the Veendam, but they

never appeared on the 3 day cruise.

Whew! Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I am sooooooo looking forward to this cruise, esp. the piano bar, that I'd be devastated if this kind of behavior was going on. I've (we've) been on a number of HAL cruises and have never witnessed such utter garbage.

Thanks again for alleviating my apprehension before it got out of control. :)

Can anyone tell me where the shis go for drydock?

They often go to Bahamas, though not exclusively ...... Freeport, I think. But, Noordam just had a drydock in Europe.

They often go to Bahamas, though not exclusively ...... Freeport, I think. But, Noordam just had a drydock in Europe.

Thanks, Sail. For some reason, I thought they went back to where they were built, especially for major changes like the Veendam just had.

Guess I will be staying away from that overflowing pool when on the Veendam in 2010.

There is a drydock facility in Freeport. But either it, or Hal, underestimated the time needed to do the refit.

Let's see, I believe it was September that I posted about the ill-conceived notion of the retreat.

Oh, and wasn't it Richard who sang praises about the show lounge and then I got called out for questioning his objectivity?

What has be completely perplexed is how they'll add cabins and a pool to the rest of the fleet.

There is a drydock facility in Freeport. But either it, or Hal, underestimated the time needed to do the refit.

Let's see, I believe it was September that I posted about the ill-conceived notion of the retreat.

Oh, and wasn't it Richard who sang praises about the show lounge and then I got called out for questioning his objectivity?

What has be completely perplexed is how they'll add cabins and a pool to the rest of the fleet.

Who's Richard? Does he work for Hal?

Can anyone tell me where the shis go for drydock?

The ones HAL seems to be using the most are in Esquimalt (Victoria), BC on the North American west coast, in Freeport, the Bahamas for the North American east coast and in Salerno (Sicily) for ships in Europe. There are many more all over the world though!

So, does the retreat area no longer have a pool of any kind? Just the few inches of water and nothing more?

If so, then there is no longer an outdoor pool?

You got it. There's no outdoor pool. There's no way to go swimming unless you go to the kiddie pool. :eek: No way to avoid the little darlin's splashing and jumping on people. :rolleyes:

The ones HAL seems to be using the most are in Esquimalt (Victoria), BC on the North American west coast, in Freeport, the Bahamas for the North American east coast and in Salerno (Sicily) for ships in Europe. There are many more all over the world though

Thanks, Copper. My DH was curious.

I'll have to get out my deck plans. Do you mean that was the ONLY pool on the Veendam? And they've made it a wading pool :confused: :eek: :confused:

I wonder whose bright idea that was?

Nope, not the only pool, there is also one between the lido and the spa. However, this is the pool that sometimes, on some ships, was "no children," and it was the only fully open air pool.

Archived