Netbook for Photo Backup

Hi s2Koool,

Ok, is the AOD250 slightly longer than the AOD150? I am trying to determine if the 250 will fit in this sleeve that Dave posted on another thread. I do want a snug fit (it than needs to go in a back pack) but someone said it just fit and they likely had the 150 (10.1").

What do you think? Btw, my battery is the 4,400 also. It appears to have a 6.5 hour battery life. I wish it was a bit longer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Jade13,

From the angle that pic was taken, it does indeed LOOK like the AOD250 is longer. However, it's a 2-dimensional picture of a 3-dimensional object (I have to teach this for work), and in actuality, the AOD150 is THICKER and a different color than the AOD250, and thus looks slimmer. The AOD150 and 250 are practically identical, with the AOD250 just a hair longer due to the battery getting flattened out. I don't have calipers to give you the exact measurements. But the weight savings is more substantial in the long run on the AOD250.

If you're still looking for a cheap, inexpensive alternative to a netbook sleeve, and not in any rush to receive it, you might want to check out this page for $5 sleeve http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14660

I am typing this on my new Acer 1000HE and so far it is a nifty little machine.

I stripped all the nonsense software off and loaded iTunes, Picasa, Open Office, AVG and Mozilla. Mix in about 11,000 Mp3's, several movies from iTunes and I have about 33 gig left.

If looks could kill this machine would be a felon. The piano black color is a fingerprint magnet, but a wipe down with a damp towel daily makes sense.

Two weeks have past since purchase and we have invested in a Microsoft wireless mouse and soft case.

I might increase the RAM but so far no real gripes. I disabled the Quick Start of Open Office and dumped the quick start data from msconfig for iTunes.

I'd like to see and hear of experiences of firmware updates so far and what your experiences are for memory upgrades to two gig of RAM.

By chance I downloaded the same iTunes, Picasa, Open Office, AVG and Mozilla. I also added PhotoShop Elements 7 but not sure how to use it yet. I realized my main computer only has 1 GB RAM. I'd like to know the difference if you add more.

The only thing I have left to do is figure out how to download 6 or 7 DVD's (movies, one is a video and one Nikon training DVD).

• 1 month later...

On and off for the last couple of days I have been playing with the new Lenovo S12 netbook. The processor, memory and hard drive are the standard fare of any number of netbooks, but the keyboard is full size and the screen is larger. The LED backlit screen is 12" but more importantly 1280 x 800 resolution which I found to be far more usable than the typical 1024 x 600 of the 10" netbook machines.

As expected the pricing is a bit higher, but I am duly impressed. For anyone looking for a netbook you should add this one to your list of units to check out.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince Mrs. Bodger I need one.:D

Bodger

On and off for the last couple of days I have been playing with the new Lenovo S12 netbook. The processor, memory and hard drive are the standard fare of any number of netbooks, but the keyboard is full size and the screen is larger. The LED backlit screen is 12" but more importantly 1280 x 800 resolution which I found to be far more usable than the typical 1024 x 600 of the 10" netbook machines.

As expected the pricing is a bit higher, but I am duly impressed. For anyone looking for a netbook you should add this one to your list of units to check out.

Bodger

Now, I didn't think about screen resolution at all when I picked out my 10" Acer. I like the Netbook and it worked well on my last cruise for both e-mail and to download some of my photos.

I paid $349.00 at the time for this Acer with a 160GB hard drive and 3 USB ports (which I found important). The battery life is 6.5 hours as stated.

However, I now have PhotoShop Elements 7 and tried to edit a jpeg in Camera RAW as it seemed like t would have what I was looking for with a histogram, White Balance Correction and Variance Correction, both under Camera RAW. BUT, I was unable to do the corrections because I could not pull anything up on the full screen so couldn't get to the "Done" button. I don't know if the Netbook can be adjusted so that I can process my photos using it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know?

Thanks.

The best way to transfer your movies to your netbook is to copy them to a flash drive/memory stick and then paste them into the My Movies folder on your netbook. You can also copy some programs this way. I don't think there is a legality issue with transferring movies. If you purchased the movie in the first place and are only using it for your own purposes then there is no problem.

I am more than happy with my Netbook Samsung NC10, brilliant piece of kit and very useful while travelling. I was able to transfer all my movies from the camcorder and from my camera onto the NC10 and then on to a flash drive for extra backup, keeping them separate of course for safety! You also have the added advantage of being able to use it to wirelessly to connect to any available unsecured wireless internet signal you may be able to pick up in some ports. Allowing pick up of emails, net surfing etc. I wouldn't be without it!

Enjoy your movies in flight!

:)

However, I now have PhotoShop Elements 7 and tried to edit a jpeg in Camera RAW as it seemed like t would have what I was looking for with a histogram, White Balance Correction and Variance Correction, both under Camera RAW. BUT, I was unable to do the corrections because I could not pull anything up on the full screen so couldn't get to the "Done" button. I don't know if the Netbook can be adjusted so that I can process my photos using it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know?

Thanks.

I don't know about the Acer but the Asus had an emulation mode that would allow for a larger screen mode such as you might require, but it still involved scrolling.

My bother uses an external monitor with his Asus when at home. That would resolve the issue when you are not mobile.

Bodger

The best way to transfer your movies to your netbook is to copy them to a flash drive/memory stick and then paste them into the My Movies folder on your netbook. You can also copy some programs this way. I don't think there is a legality issue with transferring movies. If you purchased the movie in the first place and are only using it for your own purposes then there is no problem.

I am more than happy with my Netbook Samsung NC10, brilliant piece of kit and very useful while travelling. I was able to transfer all my movies from the camcorder and from my camera onto the NC10 and then on to a flash drive for extra backup, keeping them separate of course for safety! You also have the added advantage of being able to use it to wirelessly to connect to any available unsecured wireless internet signal you may be able to pick up in some ports. Allowing pick up of emails, net surfing etc. I wouldn't be without it!

Enjoy your movies in flight!

:)

Can you copy them from the DVD drive?

• 2 weeks later...
How do I load the Picture Motion Browser software onto my Acer Aspire? I have a Sony Camcorder DCR-SR46;and I will need to backup the videos that I plan to take while in Ak next month. I have the software on my desktop, but used the cd .

thanks,

Marilyn

Copy all of the files on the CD to a flash drive and use the flash drive to install the software on the Aspire.

Dave

I must be missing something in my weak attempt to capture this application on a thumbdrive. Would you mind outlining the steps? Do I put the CD in the desktop drive? or try to copy from the desktop?

thanks, Marilyn

The Picture Motion Browser is distributed on a CD, so you should only need a 1GB flash drive (thumb drive) to do this (a larger one is ok).

1. Clear the flash drive using the PC by deleting all the files that are on it or by quick formatting it.

2. Leave the flash drive attached to the PC and insert the CD. Cancel install when it loads.

3. Open a Windows Explorer window and go to the drive with the CD in it. In the right pane you will see all the files. Click on one of them and press the "A" key while holding down the Ctrl button (Ctrl + A will select all the files in the window). If you don't have your Explorer set to view all files, it may ask you if you want to include hidden files. if it does, click 'yes".

4. Right-click and choose "Copy". You can also use the menu at the top of the window under Edit > Copy.

5. In the Explorer window, find the flash drive's letter and select it. The right pane will be empty.

6. Right-click anywhere in the right pane and choose "Paste" the files will start to copy.

7. When they are done, take the flash drive from the PC and plug it into the Netbook.

8. Open an explorer window and go to the flash drive. Look for "Setup.exe" in the right pane. If you don't have the browser set to show extensions you may see more than one "setup" file. The icon should look like a little monitor. If you're still unsure, right-click on the file and choose "properties" to see the full name with the extension. Double-click on "setup.exe" when you have identified it.

9. Once setup starts, just follow the instructions as you normally would.

Good luck!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bring this back to life. Just purchased a Samsung N120 netbook for a really

good price. Also, paid for it with Visa card points so my net was about $20.00. Read some

really good reviews on this and the older NC10 so decided to go with it instead of the

Toshiba I had first looked at. Unfortunately, no cruises booked to test it for downloading

and wireless onboard for a while. We are, though, planning a trip to Honolulu in November

for a couple of weeks so will see how it works. I like the keyboard on this unit and it has

some good features, such as 2 USB ports that allow charging of devices while the unit

is off, upgradeable to 2gb RAM and a slightly better sound system (but still netbook

sound, so earbuds will be needed for music and movies.) To go with this, I have also

purchased a Microsoft wireless notebook mouse and a more substantial sleeve. Software

loading was easy with my MicroSolutions Roadstor device and thumb drives. Am still working on

the home network but this seems to be working out just fine. For anyone interested, the

specs and description are here:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersaccessories&type=mobilecomputing&subtype=netbook&model_cd=NP-N120-KA01CA

This thread has been extremely useful in researching this purchase and I am sure I will

be referring back here often.

30axf6v.jpg

Cliff

Before you buy a netbook for cruising, consider the new Acer Aspire 1410. It's about $430 on Amazon with 2 gigs, and another $29 takes it to 4 gigs! It has an 11.6" screen that's full resolution, has a 250 gig drive, and output ports for VGA and high def, a card reader and it weighs 3 lbs even! Yes, it runs Vista, but it comes with a upgrade certificate for a free copy of Windows 7 when that arrives in October.

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and there's nothing like it! My faithful ASUS netbook has been repurposed for my wife's use. The biggest difference is that with the 1410 you don't have to scroll or go blind for full-screen applications. It also has a terrific keyboard, although I always use it with an optical mouse. Like the "big notebooks", I like to plug the handiest monitor I can find (no one ever locks down the display port) into the 1410 which automatically configures itself with one extended screen that includes the 1410's and the borrowed one. Ditto for any keyboards that can be borrowed. With these mods, there's nothing you can do on a $2000 desktop you can't do (admittedly aa bit slower) on shipboard with this 3-pound beauty. Even Photoshop and Access cause no problems!

Archived