Netbook for Photo Backup

What is open office? Is it freeware?

It is a freeware solution that is mostly compatible with MS Office. It grew out of an MS Office alternative called Star Office that was acquired by Sun Microsystems at the end of the '90s. Star Office never became a commercial competitor to MS Office, so Sun sponsors Open Office, which uses Star Office source code and encourages people to use it and programmers to contribute to it's improvement. It is popular among Linux users and people who just simply hate Microsoft. In all fairness, it does about everything the average user needs for word processing, spreadsheets and such and can save files in a compatible format.

It works, it's free and unless you have a compelling reason to use MS Office, it's a workable alternative.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Dave

It is a freeware solution that is mostly compatible with MS Office. It grew out of an MS Office alternative called Star Office that was acquired by Sun Microsystems at the end of the '90s. Star Office never became a commercial competitor to MS Office, so Sun sponsors Open Office, which uses Star Office source code and encourages people to use it and programmers to contribute to it's improvement. It is popular among Linux users and people who just simply hate Microsoft. In all fairness, it does about everything the average user needs for word processing, spreadsheets and such and can save files in a compatible format.

It works, it's free and unless you have a compelling reason to use MS Office, it's a workable alternative.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Dave

Thanks Dave. And, I am going to order the Acer so I can use it on my Arctic cruise in a few weeks.

jAde13,

I think you did just the right thing...trying several models/brands and choosing the one that worked for you. Hope you enjoy your choice as much as I enjoy mine.

I am just trying to understand the difference of the two models on Amazon that both have 160MB hard drives and 6 cell battery. Also, does someone have a recommendation on an external mouse? What about the wireless ones?

Acer Aspire One AOD250-1185 10.1-Inch UltraThin Sapphire Blue Netbook - 6 Cell Battery

Product Features

* Intel Atom Processor N270 (512KB L2 cache, 1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB)

* 1GB DDR2 533 SDRAM

* 160GB hard drive (5400RPM)

* Windows XP Home Edition, 6-Cell Lithium Ion battery

* 10.1-inch WSVGA (1024 x 600) TFT LCD

or

Acer Aspire One AOD150-1165 10.1-Inch Sapphire Blue Netbook - 6 Cell Battery

$329.00

7.3 x 10.2 x 1.3 inches ; 3 pounds

* The 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor combines performance, power and efficiency to explore the Internet and stay connected while mobile.

* 6-cell battery provides up to 6 1/2 hours of battery life for extended use and productivity when away from an AC outlet.

* Windows XP Home with SP3 gives you the freedom to do what you want at home and at work - simply, reliably and more securely

* 160GB Hard Drive, 1GB RAM, Integrated 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified

* Acer Crystal Eye webcam delivers smooth video streaming and high quality images for your on-line chats and business video conferences

======

The Acer says the 6 cell battery has a 6.5 hour life vs the Asus Eee stating their 6 cell has a 9.5 battery life. Why such a large difference?

This shows this computer for $310.00 with free shipping, if they get them in.

http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_AOD2501165/

I, too, am trying to understnad this numbers game. I did read somewhere that the manufacturer

uses diferrent numbers for much the same models to diffeentiate those made for certain

retailers, presumably the large volume movers.

I have been following this as I want to get one of these before we travel again. The models in Canada

currently offered by our local Future Shop stores are all 3-cell battery models which are

no longer listed on the Acer website. Acer now list 8 different models, 2 for each colour,

and it is hard to see what the differences might be. All are said to be 6 cell but 4 show

a weight of 2.95 lbs. and 4 show 2.78 lbs.

I don't plan to be stuck with an early model when there are later, improved ones being

shipped. At the same time, I want to deal through this retailer as I can use gift card

I get through my credit card points.

Using the AOD250 model in Blue as an example,

Future shop AOD250 1055 (3-cell) 2.6lbs.

Acer website AOD-1358 (6-cell) 2.95lbs

Acer website AOD-1302 (6-cell) 2.79lbs

These are from the Acer Canadian site.

The US site shows an entirely different list of model numbers.

Looking at other retailers and e-bay, more model numbers show up.

Who was it said that the electronic age would make our lives easier?

I agree that the specs for most of the netbooks look almost the same. I am trying to decide between an specific Asus and a specific Samsung - none of which are carried by any stores in Las Vegas. One thing that will be a major factor for me is the keyboard. With some netbooks, it is amost impossible to touch type on them without making lots of typng errors. The only way that you can check this out is by actually trying the computer.

With regard to the mouse issue, I use a plug in mouse, not a wireless one. The reason that I did that is if I use a wireless, there is a chance that that I might leave it somewhere which is less likely than with a plug in. Also, if I have forget the wireless mouse receiver or leave it somewhere, my wireless mouse has become a paper weight. Neither of these problems is likely with my USB wired mouse.

Hope this helps.

DON

I agree that the specs for most of the netbooks look almost the same. I am trying to decide between an specific Asus and a specific Samsung - none of which are carried by any stores in Las Vegas. One thing that will be a major factor for me is the keyboard. With some netbooks, it is amost impossible to touch type on them without making lots of typng errors. The only way that you can check this out is by actually trying the computer.

With regard to the mouse issue, I use a plug in mouse, not a wireless one. The reason that I did that is if I use a wireless, there is a chance that that I might leave it somewhere which is less likely than with a plug in. Also, if I have forget the wireless mouse receiver or leave it somewhere, my wireless mouse has become a paper weight. Neither of these problems is likely with my USB wired mouse.

Hope this helps.

DON

asny recommendations on a small mouse I should order with the Netbook? I am also afraid of leaving it somewhere.

I was set to purchase the Asus until I checked out the keyboard. which model are you looking at and did you check out the Acer?

I am just trying to understand the difference of the two models on Amazon that both have 160MB hard drives and 6 cell battery. Also, does someone have a recommendation on an external mouse? What about the wireless ones?

Acer Aspire One AOD250-1185 10.1-Inch UltraThin Sapphire Blue Netbook - 6 Cell Battery

Product Features

* Intel Atom Processor N270 (512KB L2 cache, 1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB)

* 1GB DDR2 533 SDRAM

* 160GB hard drive (5400RPM)

* Windows XP Home Edition, 6-Cell Lithium Ion battery

* 10.1-inch WSVGA (1024 x 600) TFT LCD

or

Acer Aspire One AOD150-1165 10.1-Inch Sapphire Blue Netbook - 6 Cell Battery

$329.00

7.3 x 10.2 x 1.3 inches ; 3 pounds

* The 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor combines performance, power and efficiency to explore the Internet and stay connected while mobile.

* 6-cell battery provides up to 6 1/2 hours of battery life for extended use and productivity when away from an AC outlet.

* Windows XP Home with SP3 gives you the freedom to do what you want at home and at work - simply, reliably and more securely

* 160GB Hard Drive, 1GB RAM, Integrated 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Certified

* Acer Crystal Eye webcam delivers smooth video streaming and high quality images for your on-line chats and business video conferences

======

The Acer says the 6 cell battery has a 6.5 hour life vs the Asus Eee stating their 6 cell has a 9.5 battery life. Why such a large difference?

This shows this computer for $310.00 with free shipping, if they get them in.

http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_AOD2501165/

I guess the new Acer is slimmer.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/acer-aspire-one-aod250.aspx

"by Michael A. Prospero on May 27, 2009

It’s been only a few months since Acer debuted its Aspire One AOD150 netbook, but already the company has come out with a slimmed-down model, the AOD250 (AOD250-1165), which is both thinner and lighter than its predecessor. However much lower the profile, though, Acer has still managed to cram in the same internal specs while keeping the price a reasonable $298 ($349 for the 6-cell model).

Design

In many ways, the Acer Aspire One AOD250 resembles the AOD150: It has the same keyboard, the same glossy black bezel surrounding a glossy 10.1-inch screen, and it’s even a similar shade of blue on the lid and the keyboard deck. It doesn’t have the metallic flecks of the AOD150, and the blue is more purple in tone, just enough for a noticeable difference. This netbook will also be available in black, white, and red.

At 10.2 x 7.2 x 1 inches and 2.2 pounds, it’s 0.8 inches narrower, 0.3 inches thinner, and more than half a pound lighter than the AOD150. In fact, with its charger, the AOD250 weighs just 2.8 pounds, the same as the AOD150 alone. Remarkably, it’s almost identical in thickness and weight to the ASUS Eee PC 1008HA, but, because it doesn’t have tapered sides, it looks larger at first glance.

Keyboard and Touchpad

The AOD250’s keyboard, unchanged from the AOD150, is firm and easy to type on; we had no problems typing this review in Microsoft Word. But there’s still a quarter inch of chassis on either side of the keyboard; a missed opportunity for Acer to install a larger, edge-to-edge keyboard, along the lines of the HP Mini 110 or Eee PC 1008HA.

The touchpad is comfortable to use, and offers very little friction, but at 2.0 x 1.5 inches, could be a little wider. The mouse button below is a single bar, lacking a divot to separate the two sides. Still, its action was crisp and not too stiff.

Display and Audio

As with the AOD150, the 10.1-inch LED-backlit screen on the AOD250 has a resolution of 1024 x 600. We’re glad that Acer didn’t skimp on the 24 vertical pixels in the name of boasting a 16:9 display. Even though it’s a spacious 10 inches, at this size, every pixel counts. The glossy screen was crisp and displayed colors superbly; watching episodes of Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons on Hulu at full screen, we were impressed with how brightly it rendered colors. While horizontal viewing angles were excellent, tilting the screen forward almost immediately results in a distorted image.

The speakers on the AOD250 were about what we expect from a netbook; not all that powerful, and a little tinny—but they get the job done. Listening to Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire” through Pandora, we felt the bass was on the thin side. The speakers would sound a lot better if they were placed on the keyboard deck, rather than on the underside of the front edge of the chassis; when we tilted the netbook backwards, songs not only sounded louder, but more detailed, too.

Ports and Webcam

Despite its slimmed-down physique, the AOD250 still manages to accommodate three USB ports, VGA, Ethernet, a 4-in-1 memory card slot, and headphone and mic ports. But the card slot is now on the right side (instead of the left), and the VGA, USB, and audio jacks have been moved further forward on the left side.

A 0.3-megapixel webcam above the display provided decent images when videoconferencing with a friend over Skype, but the image was a bit darker than that provided by the MSI Wind U120’s 1.3-megapixel webcam. The microphone, located to the left of the webcam, allowed our caller to hear us loud and clear without our having to speak up."

I guess the new Acer is slimmer.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/acer-aspire-one-aod250.aspx

"by Michael A. Prospero on May 27, 2009

It’s been only a few months since Acer debuted its Aspire One AOD150 netbook, but already the company has come out with a slimmed-down model, the AOD250 (AOD250-1165), which is both thinner and lighter than its predecessor. However much lower the profile, though, Acer has still managed to cram in the same internal specs while keeping the price a reasonable $298 ($349 for the 6-cell model).

Design

In many ways, the Acer Aspire One AOD250 resembles the AOD150: It has the same keyboard, the same glossy black bezel surrounding a glossy 10.1-inch screen, and it’s even a similar shade of blue on the lid and the keyboard deck. It doesn’t have the metallic flecks of the AOD150, and the blue is more purple in tone, just enough for a noticeable difference. This netbook will also be available in black, white, and red.

At 10.2 x 7.2 x 1 inches and 2.2 pounds, it’s 0.8 inches narrower, 0.3 inches thinner, and more than half a pound lighter than the AOD150. In fact, with its charger, the AOD250 weighs just 2.8 pounds, the same as the AOD150 alone. Remarkably, it’s almost identical in thickness and weight to the ASUS Eee PC 1008HA, but, because it doesn’t have tapered sides, it looks larger at first glance.

Keyboard and Touchpad

The AOD250’s keyboard, unchanged from the AOD150, is firm and easy to type on; we had no problems typing this review in Microsoft Word. But there’s still a quarter inch of chassis on either side of the keyboard; a missed opportunity for Acer to install a larger, edge-to-edge keyboard, along the lines of the HP Mini 110 or Eee PC 1008HA.

The touchpad is comfortable to use, and offers very little friction, but at 2.0 x 1.5 inches, could be a little wider. The mouse button below is a single bar, lacking a divot to separate the two sides. Still, its action was crisp and not too stiff.

Display and Audio

As with the AOD150, the 10.1-inch LED-backlit screen on the AOD250 has a resolution of 1024 x 600. We’re glad that Acer didn’t skimp on the 24 vertical pixels in the name of boasting a 16:9 display. Even though it’s a spacious 10 inches, at this size, every pixel counts. The glossy screen was crisp and displayed colors superbly; watching episodes of Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons on Hulu at full screen, we were impressed with how brightly it rendered colors. While horizontal viewing angles were excellent, tilting the screen forward almost immediately results in a distorted image.

The speakers on the AOD250 were about what we expect from a netbook; not all that powerful, and a little tinny—but they get the job done. Listening to Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire” through Pandora, we felt the bass was on the thin side. The speakers would sound a lot better if they were placed on the keyboard deck, rather than on the underside of the front edge of the chassis; when we tilted the netbook backwards, songs not only sounded louder, but more detailed, too.

Ports and Webcam

Despite its slimmed-down physique, the AOD250 still manages to accommodate three USB ports, VGA, Ethernet, a 4-in-1 memory card slot, and headphone and mic ports. But the card slot is now on the right side (instead of the left), and the VGA, USB, and audio jacks have been moved further forward on the left side.

A 0.3-megapixel webcam above the display provided decent images when videoconferencing with a friend over Skype, but the image was a bit darker than that provided by the MSI Wind U120’s 1.3-megapixel webcam. The microphone, located to the left of the webcam, allowed our caller to hear us loud and clear without our having to speak up."

Jade13,

As others have keenly recommended, make sure to purchase the model with the 6-cell battery. The 3-cell, although lighter, will not last as long for obvious reasons, and since you will be traveling, the better battery life is key. In addition to the 6-cell, I purchased another 9-cell battery that should cover all my bases when traveling from California to Western Europe on my upcoming cruise.

Not to make things more confusing, but if there's anybody out there NOT in a rush to get a netbook, here's another great deal found on Amazon.com, and you DON'T need to get a contract thru AT&T to get the savings--$199 (Free S/H and no sales tax for most people if Amazon Prime)! Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/1150NR-Mobile-Broadband-10-1-Inch-Netbook/dp/B0021L9HL4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=slickdeals

Me...I'll be sticking to my Acer Aspire One :)

Jade13,

As others have keenly recommended, make sure to purchase the model with the 6-cell battery. The 3-cell, although lighter, will not last as long for obvious reasons, and since you will be traveling, the better battery life is key. In addition to the 6-cell, I purchased another 9-cell battery that should cover all my bases when traveling from California to Western Europe on my upcoming cruise.

Me...I'll be sticking to my Acer Aspire One :)

I decided on the Acer One but now trying to figure out which model. Apparently there are two 10.1" screens with a 6 cell battery (and more/different model numbers in Canada - I am not in Canada).

From what I quoted the latest is slimmer and the model number is AOD 250-1185 "Ultra Thin" with a 6 cell battery and 3 USB ports. The retail is $349.00. The one I saw yesterday was the Acer AOD150-1165.

B&H does not yet have the newer model and J&R (I haven't bought from them but they sell through amazon) is taking orders. Amazon has it but there free shipping sounds like it will take at least a week (B&H usually ships stuff to me the same day and I receive it the next). Supposedly the two models have the same key board but the weight is half a lb lighter (depending where you read - 2.4 or 2.8).

I also can't figure out which Acers have the 6 cell battery that lasts 7 hours vs 6 hours....

I decided on the Acer One but now trying to figure out which model. Apparently there are two 10.1" screens with a 6 cell battery (and more/different model numbers in Canada - I am not in Canada).

From what I quoted the latest is slimmer and the model number is AOD 250-1185 "Ultra Thin" with a 6 cell battery and 3 USB ports. The retail is $349.00. The one I saw yesterday was the Acer AOD150-1165.

B&H does not yet have the newer model and J&R (I haven't bought from them but they sell through amazon) is taking orders. Amazon has it but there free shipping sounds like it will take at least a week (B&H usually ships stuff to me the same day and I receive it the next). Supposedly the two models have the same key board but the weight is half a lb lighter (depending where you read - 2.4 or 2.8).

I also can't figure out which Acers have the 6 cell battery that lasts 7 hours vs 6 hours....

Okay, so just got off the phone with Amazon.com's tech support, and here's what they shared:

The AOD250-1185 is in fact the newer, slimmer version (1.0" thick) versus the AOD150-1165 (1.3" thick), which will obviously translate to a reduction in weight. Everything else pretty much stayed the same. Now, here's the variation: as per Acer's website, there are two different types of batteries that MAY ship with the unit--4400mAh or 5200mAh. That's where the battery life differs between the two. The online merchants have no idea which battery will be shipped from Acer to the end user, and have no control as to what Acer does. I was fortunate to receive one of the earlier editions, and have a 5800mAh battery for even more useage.

So, bottom line is do you feel the $20USD price difference warrants the slimmer version, but can't guarantee which battery you'll get? IMHO, save the twenty dollars and get another extended battery should you really need more computing power. Most people have to remember that those numbers are simply averages, and vary depending upon your use.

Hope that helps!

asny recommendations on a small mouse I should order with the Netbook? I am also afraid of leaving it somewhere.

I was set to purchase the Asus until I checked out the keyboard. which model are you looking at and did you check out the Acer?

I have the Microsoft plug in optical mouse. It is not the smallest mouse in the world but it it comfortable to use. I do not intend to get carpel mouse syndrome.

DON

I have the Microsoft plug in optical mouse. It is not the smallest mouse in the world but it it comfortable to use. I do not intend to get carpel mouse syndrome.

DON

Because I deal with PowerPoint presentations on the road, this is what I currently use: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Notebook-Presenter-Mouse/dp/B000HDMPTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244400296&sr=8-1

In my office, I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-ZJA-00001-Arc-Mouse-Black/dp/B001C4ETU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244400383&sr=1-1. I still prefer the 8000 though due it's compact size and feel. The scroll wheel on the Arc doesn't work well...and I've only had this one for 5 months!

Okay, so just got off the phone with Amazon.com's tech support, and here's what they shared:

The AOD250-1185 is in fact the newer, slimmer version (1.0" thick) versus the AOD150-1165 (1.3" thick), which will obviously translate to a reduction in weight. Everything else pretty much stayed the same. Now, here's the variation: as per Acer's website, there are two different types of batteries that MAY ship with the unit--4400mAh or 5200mAh. That's where the battery life differs between the two. The online merchants have no idea which battery will be shipped from Acer to the end user, and have no control as to what Acer does. I was fortunate to receive one of the earlier editions, and have a 5800mAh battery for even more useage.

So, bottom line is do you feel the $20USD price difference warrants the slimmer version, but can't guarantee which battery you'll get? IMHO, save the twenty dollars and get another extended battery should you really need more computing power. Most people have to remember that those numbers are simply averages, and vary depending upon your use.

Hope that helps!

But the problem is that the AOD150-1165 also shipped with two different batteries, correct?

But the problem is that the AOD150-1165 also shipped with two different batteries, correct?

Well, the problem is Acer shipped the previous versions of Aspire One with one of the four versions of batteries--3 cell 2200mAh, 6-cell 4400mAh, 6-cell 5200mAh, and 6-cell 5800mAh--all due to demand and availability. IMHO, the 5200mAh and 4400mAh are practically the same. As I mentioned before, it all comes down to how you plan to use the machine. Wifi and Wordprocessing are usually the two main programs most people will run, and thus not that labor intensive to show a substantial difference in battery drain.

Before you buy anything, do a careful analysis of what you already have. I did it with Excel so that I could consider what-if alternatives. It is way to easy to say that you will save lots of weight when, in fact, the weight savings may be minimal. Also, there may be cheaper ways to get almost the same weight saving.

After sending one of my previous notes, I did such an analysis and was very surprised with what I came up with. I currently have a 12.1" Toshiba Satellite computer which weighs 1904 grams without the charger and 2164 grams with the charger. When I purchased the Toshiba, I chose it specifically because it was small. If I was starting with a larger laptop, my weight-benefit analysis would be different. I also carry a computer video camera that weighs 57 grams. This means that I am carrying 2221 grams or 4.89 pounds of computer stuff.

In addition, I carry chargers for 2 cell phones and 3 cameras. The bottom line is that when I take everything, I am carrying 9 discrete items with a total weight of 2862 grams or 5.91 pounds.

I have 2 goals in mind for this equipment upgrade - to reduce weight and also to reduce the number of items carried.

Since I carry 7 different charges, I tried to find a single charger that would handle all 7 devices. This was impossible as the batteries for my 2 larger cameras would not fit chargers such as the IGO or XPAL devices. However, by buying an IGO or XPAL charger for my electronic devices and a Delkin charger for my camera batteries, I can reduce the number of chargers and also the weight to only 2 chargers. Problem is that if I replace the Toshiba with a netbook, IGO does not make tips that fit netbooks; XPAL does, however.

While buying new chargers does reduce the number and bulk of the chargers I have to carry, it only reduces the weight from 5.91 pounds to 5.43 pounds. Not much weight saving but a lot fewer items to carry.

I am considering 3 netbooks. I like the ASUS HE model but it is the heaviest and in the end, my total weight is only reduced from 5.91 to 3.93 pounds. If I buy an equivalent Samsung, my total weight drops to 3.51 pounds and if I buy the ASUS HA, I get down to 3.14 pounds of total stuff.

I am not totally convinced that saving from 1.28 to 2.07 pounds is worth a $500 investment in new equipment.

Since I already have a small laptop, I am even considering a smaller netbook. The main things I would use the netbook for would be to back up and review photographs, take trip notes, surf in the internet, and call home using Skype. The keyboard on the smaller netbook would be sort of lousy but I could probably live with it. Battery life would not be 9 hours but I live with a 2 1/2 hour battery life on my Toshiba and I manage.

Unfortunately, I obviously tend to over analyze things and thus make my life more complicated.

I just wanted to pass on my thought processes. Any addtional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

DON

Well, the problem is Acer shipped the previous versions of Aspire One with one of the four versions of batteries--3 cell 2200mAh, 6-cell 4400mAh, 6-cell 5200mAh, and 6-cell 5800mAh--all due to demand and availability. IMHO, the 5200mAh and 4400mAh are practically the same. As I mentioned before, it all comes down to how you plan to use the machine. Wifi and Wordprocessing are usually the two main programs most people will run, and thus not that labor intensive to show a substantial difference in battery drain.

Ok, well I finally placed my order. I wonder if "David" is the same person that you spoke to as he said someone phoned earlier today with the same question regarding battery life. They may have all three batteries in their warehouse but Acer is only guaranteeing the 4400mAh. I did decide to go with the slimmer 1" Acer and excited about the slimmer design with 6 cell battery and 3 USB ports. It was only $20.00 more.

My total order came to $400.00 even, including Netbook, Notebook mouse with retractable cord (for $13.00 it wasn't worth thinking about too much), Targus Netbook Messenger bag 10.2" (I saw it at Best Buy and Targus is a good company) and splitter for speaker port so we could plug in two headphones on a plane to listen to a movie.

Until you said you spoke to someone I did not know that Amazon had phone servoce (they don't for books, only computers and electronics) and since David wanted to take my order I asked if he got commission and they do in that department, so I placed my order.

Btw, I bought photoshop Elements yesterday for $77.00. It went down in price since Dave gave me the link and with the $20.00 rebate will be $57.00.

Unfortunately, I obviously tend to over analyze things and thus make my life more complicated.

I just wanted to pass on my thought processes. Any addtional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

DON

I over analyze things too. I have a notebook for work and an older Dell at home. I needed light light light for travel internet and downloading photos. They are very strict weight wise traveling as I'm sure you know. everything weighted by SWISS last year and LAN earlier this year....

I over analyze things too. I have a notebook for work and an older Dell at home. I needed light light light for travel internet and downloading photos. They are very strict weight wise traveling as I'm sure you know. everything weighted by SWISS last year and LAN earlier this year....

Does anyone have any suggestions on a battery charger that will do everything - electronics and digital camera batteries.

I would buy one of those in a heartbeat as it would enable me to travel with 1 less device.

DON

Ok, well I finally placed my order. I wonder if "David" is the same person that you spoke to as he said someone phoned earlier today with the same question regarding battery life. They may have all three batteries in their warehouse but Acer is only guaranteeing the 4400mAh. I did decide to go with the slimmer 1" Acer and excited about the slimmer design with 6 cell battery and 3 USB ports. It was only $20.00 more.

My total order came to $400.00 even, including Netbook, Notebook mouse with retractable cord (for $13.00 it wasn't worth thinking about too much), Targus Netbook Messenger bag 10.2" (I saw it at Best Buy and Targus is a good company) and splitter for speaker port so we could plug in two headphones on a plane to listen to a movie.

Until you said you spoke to someone I did not know that Amazon had phone servoce (they don't for books, only computers and electronics) and since David wanted to take my order I asked if he got commission and they do in that department, so I placed my order.

Btw, I bought photoshop Elements yesterday for $77.00. It went down in price since Dave gave me the link and with the $20.00 rebate will be $57.00.

Awesome! Congratulations on another satisfied Amazon.com customer! Yeah, I found they have pretty decent phone service, and you can use their chat online on demand at any time--which is key for someone who's constantly on the road and up at ungodly hours!

Thanks for the heads up on the Photoshop Elements. I may just pick that one up as well.

Make sure to share your thoughts on the Acer when you get it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a battery charger that will do everything - electronics and digital camera batteries.

I would buy one of those in a heartbeat as it would enable me to travel with 1 less device.

DON

What type of cameras do you have? Our Nikon D60 has a different charger than the Fujifilm F30, than our two motorolla phones for tmobile, than the charger for the apple Ipod and charger for Sony DVD video, and one for Acer Netbook. I agree the chargers are the killer. We have 7 chargers. Plus have to pack a small strip and converters.

DON

Don,

I totally understand your quandry and tendency to over-analyze certain scenarios. I too frequently use spreadsheets, but have found that ultimately, it comes down to the actual usage which typically can trump the spreadsheet. All the numbers may not mean a hill 'o beans, if the gadgets don't work well together.

Back to your original dilemma.... For years I had used either a Targus All-in-one power supply, then switched to the Kensington All-In-One for auto/air/home use to include Laptop, iPOD, Mobile Phone, and camera. Well, looks like Kensington did not stay up with the times and develop more universal tips, and I needed to take differents steps.

So, now my mobile phone, bluetooth headset, and Garmin Nuvi GPS unit all utilize the same miniUSB charger. I also carry a Targus 4-in-one Travel power strip. The laptops change too frequently to keep up with universal tips, so the OEM's comes along. Finally, I purchased additional camera batteries so that I don't travel with the chargers.

For the upcoming cruise, I will be taking the following electronic devices:

- Acer Aspire One with 6-cell and 9-cell batteries and charger

- Nikon DSLR with two batteries and three lenses

- MiniUSB Charger and Motorola P790 battery charger (neat device)

- Blackberry device, two batteries, and BB desktop charger

- MicroSoft Wireless mouse 8000 presenter

- iPOD Touch w/travel charger

- Targus 4-in-1 travel power strip

- Bose QC2 noise-cancelling headphones (a must for road warriors)

What type of cameras do you have? Our Nikon D60 has a different charger than the Fujifilm F30, than our two motorolla phones for tmobile, than the charger for the apple Ipod and charger for Sony DVD video, and one for Acer Netbook. I agree the chargers are the killer. We have 7 chargers. Plus have to pack a small strip and converters.

A D70, a G9 and my wife has a camera that takes AA cells. I know that I can do all 3 cameras with a Delkin charger. There are a number of chargers out there that can handle my laptop, MP3 player, and cell phones.

At least 2 chargers is less than 7.

DON

Posted by s2k000L

"For the upcoming cruise, I will be taking the following electronic devices:

- Acer Aspire One with 6-cell and 9-cell batteries and charger

- Nikon DSLR with two batteries and three lenses

- MiniUSB Charger and Motorola P790 battery charger (neat device)

- Blackberry device, two batteries, and BB desktop charger

- MicroSoft Wireless mouse 8000 presenter

- iPOD Touch w/travel charger

- Targus 4-in-1 travel power strip

- Bose QC2 noise-cancelling headphones (a must for road warriors) "

At what point in the cruise do you begin to glow in the dark?

At what point in the cruise do you begin to glow in the dark?

Haha! Good one!

My wife asks the same question--only who'll be the one laughing when we're on a twelve hour flight to Europe from California?!? I'm sure she won't mind having the iPOD and Acer to help kill some time.

When you travel for a living, you definitely want some of the creature comforts of home to keep your sanity. I've gotten these down to a science (for me) so that I can get up and leave at a moment's notice. All these trinkets may seem much to most people...but how else can I communicate with all the extra-terrestrials in the next galaxy over ;)

Archived