Buyer Beware-The Is No Carnival Port Shopping Buyer’s Guarantee

Sammy_Beans

My wife and I last year on the Glory bought a ring in Belize from Diamonds International. The issue the ring was that we paid over 3500.00 for it and the stone was defective and loose. We registered it on board and then as we found out two days later the problem. We took it to the shoppers on the ship and they told us that they would look into it.

When we got home we received a letter from Diamonds International and PPI that they have received our complaint and that they needed us to send the ring. We were reluctant but then we took the leap of faith.

We photoed the ring and then sent it in. One month later we were told that the ring could not be repaired and that the stone was defective. In addition they refunded our money to our credit card and sent us a gift certificate for $500.00 off our next purchase.

We later purchased a Breitling watch from the DI in Cozumel and DI has been excellent with us. We cannot complain and have been more than happy with all concerned.

I am sorry your outcome was not this good.

I don't know how much you paid for the item, but have you thought of contacting an attorney over this. Sometimes just a letter from an attorney changes their minds real quick.

When I went on my first cruise last Oct., I had learned from cruise critic to beware of DI and all of the port shops. I remembering reading a post that said that if you have more then 2 companies involved in the guarantee to beware and to put up red flags because they probably would not honor the guarantee and that is what happened in your case. I am so sorry this happened, but I would not give up on it, get all of your paper work together and really read the fine print and then get in touch with an attorney.

I have notified my credit card company that I am disputing this charge.

To clarify, the stone fell out of the setting and is lost.

So because you lost something DI and/or Carnival is responsible? Sorry, but this is more of the me, me , me generation. Take responsibility for your own actions. No guarantee or warranty would cover a loss like this.

So because you lost something DI and/or Carnival is responsible? Sorry, but this is more of the me, me , me generation. Take responsibility for your own actions. No guarantee or warranty would cover a loss like this.

The stone shouldn't fall out of the setting in less then a month. Yes, a guarantee would cover something like that. The diamond in my wife's wedding ring is guaranteed as long as she has it inspected once a year.

I fail to see how expecting a company to stand behind a product it sells, is being selfish. If your new automobile had a significant breakdown within sixteen days of purchase, you expect the manufacture and the dealer to step in and make things right.

Also, just what actions am I to take responsibility for? The stone fell out of the setting while my wife was at church.

I'm with Sammy and some of the other posters. I will never purchase any thing again from DI. It's not worth saving a few bucks for shoddy workmanship.

My story: I purchased a beautiful ruby and diamond ring from DI in St Thomas on a cruise last year. The weekend after I returned home (about a week after I purchased the ring), I was showing it off to a friend who said "it looks like it's missing a stone". And indeed it was. One of the small diamonds on the band was missing. I contacted DI and they did end up replacing the stone. Fast forward six months. The exact same stone and one adjacent to it fell out. I contacted DI again (even though the warranty states that they cover nothing after I think it was 90 days) because I believed that the settings were faulty since the exact same stone fell out again. They did not have the courtesy to even reply to tell me that it wasn't covered. I ended up taking the ring to a local jeweller who reinforced the settings on all stones however they stated that the workmanship was so poor that the ring could never be guaranteed even after reinforcement (which they told me before they even did the work). Purchase price: $800. Additional cost to jeweller for reinforcement: $150. Total cost $950. Appraisal value: $1100. Not enough savings to make up for the hassle. In the future, I will buy my jewelry from a local jeweller that I can have confidence in.

Sammy, sorry to hear about your experience. Welcome to the "dark side" of cruising. :( You have found out that the cruise line's logo or endorsement means very little when it comes to certain products and services. The cruise lines routinely use independent contractors and 3rd party guarantors, but give them the appearance of being operated by or under the control of the cruise line. It is a despicable business practice, but it is a standard in the industry.

Sammy, sorry to hear about your experience. Welcome to the "dark side" of cruising. :( You have found out that the cruise line's logo or endorsement means very little when it comes to certain products and services. The cruise lines routinely use independent contractors and 3rd party guarantors, but give them the appearance of being operated by or under the control of the cruise line. It is a despicable business practice, but it is a standard in the industry.

I really do not have a problem with the business practice of using contractors. It allows for cost savings that make cruising affordable.

Still it is the responsibility of Carnival, or any cruise line, to insure that the contractors that are operating as a representative of Carnival conduct themselves in an ethical manner. Attempting to hide behind the "it's not us, it's the contractors" excuse is not acceptable.

That's just simply not true. Most jewelry stores offer a 100% guarantee on the stone not falling out. In fact, that's usually coverage you don't have to purchase. At the very least they cover their setting. The OP didn't pry the prongs open, take out the stone, and throw it away somewhere.

This whole scenario is kinda like when people book airfare thru the cruiseline. They can still miss the ship if something happens to their air itinerary. It's just one of those unfortunate things that can happen sometimes, no matter how much it sucks.

And let's all remember that nothing is too good to be true. If goods from other ports are so much cheaper than they are here, then they're probably just not as good. Sure you'll have the exception. But, in general, it's not worth trying to save a few bucks.

But if the stone hadn't have been lost, would they have done the labor to replace it?

I don't care if you buy a ring from DI or your local jeweller. If a ring loses a stone of a good size, they aren't going to replace it for free.

I'm not a jewelry person at all. Don't even wear a wedding ring although I am very married. But when someone buys a ring with a stone isn't there an expectation that the stone won't fall out? What are you supposed to do keep your eye on the gem at all times, put a baggy around the jewel? Shouldn't an examination of the ring determine whether or not the setting was altered?

OP, this stinks and definitely would put a damper on my cruise memories.

I really do not have a problem with the business practice of using contractors. It allows for cost savings that make cruising affordable.

Still it is the responsibility of Carnival, or any cruise line, to insure that the contractors that are operating as a representative of Carnival conduct themselves in an ethical manner. Attempting to hide behind the "it's not us, it's the contractors" excuse is not acceptable.

That's precisely why they do have contractors. The cost savings come from both using the contractor and the avoidance of liability. I don't have a problem with that - I have a problem with presenting independent contractors as if they are somehow not independent by using the Carnival name and logo.

I have purchased 3 times from DI....

On our very first cruise..bought a beautiful diamond band in Alaska..good price- excellent quality..no problem.

On another cruise purchased a citrine ring in St.Thomas. nice piece but probably not a super bargain (now that I see similar ones at local stores)..then .stone became loose a few months later.....when we went on our next cruise I brought it with me....they tightened it -no charge.

Last cruise..purchased another ring...pretty good price. sized for me within 2 hours....and so far no problems....

I do have to say, though, that I really am done buying jewelry on cruises I really do not need more stuff:rolleyes:--and if want or need something..will patronize my local jeweler..fair prices..and less chance for "impulse" buying..

This whole scenario is kinda like when people book airfare thru the cruiseline. They can still miss the ship if something happens to their air itinerary. It's just one of those unfortunate things that can happen sometimes, no matter how much it sucks.

And let's all remember that nothing is too good to be true. If goods from other ports are so much cheaper than they are here, then they're probably just not as good. Sure you'll have the exception. But, in general, it's not worth trying to save a few bucks.

I understand the concept of nothing is too good to be true. What I do not agree with is the aggressive marketing of the jeweler and promise that any purchase would be guaranteed. I also do not agree with Carnival passing the buck to their contractors for what was represented as a Carnival Cruise Line program.

I understand the concept of nothing is too good to be true. What I do not agree with is the aggressive marketing of the jeweler and promise that any purchase would be guaranteed. I also do not agree with Carnival passing the buck to their contractors for what was represented as a Carnival Cruise Line program.

I completely agree with you that they shouldn't put their name on something if they're not going to guarantee it. Just as they shouldn't book your airfare and then leave your butt if your plane is late. Fortunately, I found this site before my first cruise, so I knew what to avoid. It's too bad that 90% of cruisers don't know about this site. I'm sure there are many people out there who have similar stories to yours. Not that it's any solace, but hopefully your experience and this thread will help someone else from getting into a big mess.

Sammy, I agree that you have received a bad deal, but I also agree with the majority of posters who say that little or no resolution will come from Carnival if you pursue this (we've seen similar troubles on a regular basis). You can disagree with their position all you want (and most of us will agree with you) but that will not get your ring replaced or fixed. I am sorry you only joined CC after this happened, if you had been active here before your cruise you might have read the numerous threads similar to yours about these 'recommended' stores. But perhaps your main goal of warning others will cause someone else to be more cautious.

I do have one suggestion: You could always book another Carnival cruise, and march yourself down to the DI store in every port and gently bemoan your plight to every cruise passenger that walks in the store and say that you are waiting for DI and/or Carnival to make good on their promises. I'll bet DI and the Port and Shopping representative would scramble to fix your ring so fast your head will spin - just make sure your wife is standing outside the store filming it all.

I completely agree with you that they shouldn't put their name on something if they're not going to guarantee it. Just as they shouldn't book your airfare and then leave your butt if your plane is late. Fortunately, I found this site before my first cruise, so I knew what to avoid. It's too bad that 90% of cruisers don't know about this site. I'm sure there are many people out there who have similar stories to yours. Not that it's any solace, but hopefully your experience and this thread will help someone else from getting into a big mess.

That is exactly why I started this thread. The more people that view this thread the more people will be warned.

Sammy, I agree that you have received a bad deal, but I also agree with the majority of posters who say that little or no resolution will come from Carnival if you pursue this (we've seen similar troubles on a regular basis). You can disagree with their position all you want (and most of us will agree with you) but that will not get your ring replaced or fixed. I am sorry you only joined CC after this happened, if you had been active here before your cruise you might have read the numerous threads similar to yours about these 'recommended' stores. But perhaps your main goal of warning others will cause someone else to be more cautious.

I do have one suggestion: You could always book another Carnival cruise, and march yourself down to the DI store in every port and gently bemoan your plight to every cruise passenger that walks in the store and say that you are waiting for DI and/or Carnival to make good on their promises. I'll bet DI and the Port and Shopping representative would scramble to fix your ring so fast your head will spin - just make sure your wife is standing outside the store filming it all.

I joined cruisecritic.com yesterday as an active members, but I have been reading the reviews for our cruise for well over a year. I grealy appeciated the efforts of the members that wrote reviews. There were very few surprises encountered on my cruise.

I just wish i would have watched the message boards more closely.

In the grand scheme of things, the problem i am having with Diamonds International, PPI and Carnival is trivial. It is just my nature to try to allow others to learn from my mistakes.

I don't know how they could cover a lost stone. I don't mean to imply that cruise passengers would do this, but... what if some unscrupulous person yanked out a stone, or did some gardening or other manual labor wearing the ring, and it got knocked out? Should the company be liable for that?

We have a similar guarantee with the local jewler who sold us my wife's diamond engagement ring. It's a large chain of diamond stores. They tell you if you come in regularly and have the ring checked out, they will cover a lost stone.

Well, the stone did fall out one day at work. Luckily she re-traced her steps and found it inside a filing drawer where she had been filing papers. It was re-seated and I don't think they charged us for that. But I am not sure they would have paid for the stone... too expensive to be covered like that, in my opinion. They would find a way to get out of it.

I don't know how they could cover a lost stone. I don't mean to imply that cruise passengers would do this, but... what if some unscrupulous person yanked out a stone, or did some gardening or other manual labor wearing the ring, and it got knocked out? Should the company be liable for that?

We have a similar guarantee with the local jewler who sold us my wife's diamond engagement ring. It's a large chain of diamond stores. They tell you if you come in regularly and have the ring checked out, they will cover a lost stone.

Well, the stone did fall out one day at work. Luckily she re-traced her steps and found it inside a filing drawer where she had been filing papers. It was re-seated and I don't think they charged us for that. But I am not sure they would have paid for the stone... too expensive to be covered like that, in my opinion. They would find a way to get out of it.

I was thinking the same thing. The guarantee won't cover lost stones over .15 carats because of the crooks out there - there are too many people who will remove a stone, sell it, and then demand replacement. One of the hazards of some settings is that the stones get loose.

My DH bought me a beautiful blue diamond ring onboard for my 10th anniversary last summer. My wedding set is an inlaid type setting and I've never had one with a prong style - so I didn't realize the stones can get loose as the prongs tend to catch on clothing. Three days after we got home I realized it was loose. I didn't want to mail it in to Carnival's repair contractor in Miami and opted to have a local jeweler repair it and also verify the authenticity. They told me that any prong setting jewelry commonly gets loose and to keep a very close eye on it and have it inspected and tightened if necessary at least once a year.

I understand that concern, but I have a problem with Diamonds International's handling of the situation. I believe a respectable business would have said that there was a possibility that this stone was not set properly. They should have at least offered to inspect the workmanship, rather than flatly saying no.

It sounds to me like you should have a legitimate warranty claim and that you should contiue to pursue your claim. Good luck.

Archived