Imperial War Museum

I have read wonderful things about this museum , some saying it was their favorite museum in London.

I´d really like to take my children -I think it will be a fascinaing and sobering experience for them.

My question- I have read in several different guidebooks that the Holocaust exhibition is not appropriate for those under 16. I will be taking the children to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and I´think this exhibit would give them additional and important information on this fundamental subject.

Can you tell me what this exhibit is like and if it is really inappropriate?My kids are 5 , 9 and 12.

The 12 year old is very mature and I am confident that she would be able to visit. Our 9 year old is a huge history buff-his favorite channel is the History Channel and he has read extensively about WWII. Obviosly the 5 year old is 5 and I am not sure what to do about him , but I don´t want to miss this learning opportunity.

Any input or suggestions?

Thanks.

Kim

The Imperial War Museum in London IS fascinating and I'm sure your children would find parts of it interesting.

However, it would be my suggestion that you avoid taking them into the Holocaust exhibit and I do so, even though I do not know them or their understanding of history.

Simply said, the exhibit is very sobering and I do remember signs posted somewhere stating it was not recommended for children under 15 and that children under 11 were not permitted at any time.

I haven't been to the Imperial War museum YET (want to go definitely), but I took my son to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC when he was 13. He is very into history, but it was a quite sobering experience for him. He said he was glad we went, but he didn't know if he would want to go back, at least for a very long time.

But I think you can visit the museum without including that exhibit.

• 1 month later...

There is a wonderful exhibit for children that simulates living in London during the blitz bombing. Many school groups attended when I was there in June. You begin by entering a simulated bomb shelter and after you exit the shelter you walk thru a mock village, family home, school house and other replicas of life during the war in London. There is an emphasis on the lives of children during the war and how they participated. Very appropriate and educational for children.

Archived