Need help with visiting Whistler, BC

We plan to spend 3 to 4 days in Great Vancouver area prior to our Alaska cruise in August. Can anyone please give us some suggestion, recommendation for a one-day tour in Whistler? Something like what we shouldn't miss there, restaurants... We will also have a rent car.

Thanks!

Even being from nearby just getting to Whistler and the mountain is enough for one day. It's an amazing place with the two mountains. Mining museum on the way up or back along the highway.

In the village take a tram/lift to the top.

I would get going early as it is about a 2 hour drive from downtown Vancouver in either direction. There will be construction on the highway which by now are more like slow downs and not actual stoppages. It is a very pretty drive from Horseshoe Bay to Squamish so enjoy the scenery. Once at Whistler you will find that it is very pedestrian orientated so you will want to park you car and walk around the three villages of Whistler. You can certainly go up on the montain if it is a nice day and if you so wish. There are a number of 2010 Olympic venues that you may care to take in as well, I will attach a link below. You may also find it interesting to drive around some of the residential areas of Whistler and look at some of lovely "cabins" that are up there. All in all it will be a day well spent.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/competition-schedules-and-venues/venues/-/32528/9l3h70/index.html

We plan to spend 3 to 4 days in Great Vancouver area prior to our Alaska cruise in August. Can anyone please give us some suggestion, recommendation for a one-day tour in Whistler? Something like what we shouldn't miss there, restaurants... We will also have a rent car.

Thanks!

Plan to stop along the way on both parts of your journey. There are convenient view spots and easy hiking trails to little lakes, water falls, and other viewpoints.

Viv

Just back from Vancouver after cruise. Upon docking, we rented a car and drove up to Whistler. Even with construction, the trip only took about 2 hours on a Friday. We spent the night at the Pan Pacific hotel and drove back on Saturday. Traffic was light heading back to Vancouver but pretty heavy driving up from the city. Take the gondola up Blackcomb Mountain - the view is spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope to head up Whistler way early next week so I will post the latest traffic conditions and some photos here and on my blog.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! Just can't wait to see your pictures and post.

Didn't get up as far as Whistler - only to Squamish - road construction would be about 90% complete and almost no delays - some sections have opened yet but the drive is still a lot nicer and safer than before.

I am actually posting this from Kelowna - about a 4 hour drive into the heart of of the orchard and wine country and beaches and sand and fun.

Cheers

Dennis

You say you have 4 days in VAncouver here is a suggestion - take 2 to do the Whistler circle tour/drive. This means you drive north from Vancouver to Whistler on the Sea to Sky Highway stopping along the way at the Britiannia Beach Mining Museum - watch the climbers on the Big Chief in Squamish and enjoy the many scenic view points with trails to waterfalls (i.e. Brandy Wyne Falls)

Arriving in Whistler park the car and enjoy the pedestrial only Village -

Stay overnight in Whistler.

The next day continue north to Pemberton then take the Duffy Lake road north east to Lillooet a lovely scenic drive thru alpine meadows.

Once in Lillooet take Highway 12 south to join up with the #1 Transcanada Highway. Continue south on the #1 passign thru the very scenic Fraser Canyon with "Hells Gate" where you can stop and take a gondola ride down and over the canyon to the lower western side of the Fraser River. Here you can see the fish ladders that allow the salmon to navigate the Fraser River Canyon to get back to their spawning beds upstream. Leaving the Fraser Canyon continue south to Hope where you turn east on the #1 and head back into Vancouver thru the Sumas Prarie and the Fraser Valley into Vancovuer. (Note Between Pemberton & Lilloot you will not find any services so make sure you are tooped up with gas & food) The above makes a nice 2 day trip and you will see more of Beautiful British Columbia and not retrace your drive back down the same highway.

Archived