Transportation to LI from NY port

We're thinking of taking the Canada/New England cruise on Princess and will be flying to LGA or JFK from Orlando. When we return to NY, we have a wedding in LI to go to at 1PM. Does anyone think this is possible or are we trying to squeeze in too much? We thought if we could rent a limo or shuttle from the port to LI, we could make it in time. We don't know the name of a limo service or whatever...can anyone help...or are we totally crazy for trying this?

yes i think you are crazy....you'll probably make it but if the ship is late arriving or clearing customs and immigration you could be in trouble.

you'l also probably want to wear the clothes for the wedding when disembarking............

that said....here are a couple options that CCers have tried...

arecibo (718) 783-6465

dial 7 www.dial7.com

carmel limo www.carmellimo.com

try that for starters...............

Where are you going on LI? With Princess you will dock in Brooklyn, so technically you're already on Long Island. I'm assuming that the wedding is probably a Saturday in the fall, so no weekday traffic and no beach traffic. I think you'll have plenty of time even if the ship is late. This is not an airplane flight - no arriving 1-2 hours before with security lines.

Depending on where you're going, you might even want to rent a car with an airport return. That would give you flexibility and control over your schedule.

Thank you both for your suggestions and advice. The wedding is about an hour's drive from Brooklyn. As you say, things can happen that might delay us getting off the ship. We just thought it would be a good idea to try to fit in the cruise since we would already be in NY. Now we have to decide what to do.

Thank you both for your suggestions and advice. The wedding is about an hour's drive from Brooklyn. As you say, things can happen that might delay us getting off the ship. We just thought it would be a good idea to try to fit in the cruise since we would already be in NY. Now we have to decide what to do.

I don't think you'll have any problem making the wedding. Are you staying somewhere overnight in LI? If so, you might want to do the trip to the wedding in 2 sections - port to hotel, hotel to wedding venue.

I don't think you'll have any problem making the wedding. Are you staying somewhere overnight in LI? If so, you might want to do the trip to the wedding in 2 sections - port to hotel, hotel to wedding venue.

that is a good idea..........

as i said,....you will most likely be fine, but you DID ASK if you'd be crazy!:D:p

i just think that somewhere before dinner you'll be comatose in a corner! you have to get up WAaaaYyyyyy too early on 'disguesting' day!!;)

that is a good idea..........

as i said,....you will most likely be fine, but you DID ASK if you'd be crazy!:D:p

i just think that somewhere before dinner you'll be comatose in a corner! you have to get up WAaaaYyyyyy too early on 'disguesting' day!!;)

That won't work. If I read the OP's post correctly, they get off the ship and have to be at the wedding by 1PM on LI. So they will have to take their luggage to the wedding.

Not enough time to go to a hotel, freshen up and drop luggage UNLESS the ship is on time, they are the first ones off, there is NO traffic anyplace and they can check in early to a hotel. Lots of problems to consider.

Hire Dial 7 or Carmel, even Arecibo may take you to LI (depending how far out on the Island the wedding is). Get off the ship by 10:00AM and you should be in very decent shape to make the wedding on time.

That won't work. If I read the OP's post correctly, they get off the ship and have to be at the wedding by 1PM on LI. So they will have to take their luggage to the wedding.

Not enough time to go to a hotel, freshen up and drop luggage UNLESS the ship is on time, they are the first ones off, there is NO traffic anyplace and they can check in early to a hotel. Lots of problems to consider.

Hire Dial 7 or Carmel, even Arecibo may take you to LI (depending how far out on the Island the wedding is). Get off the ship by 10:00AM and you should be in very decent shape to make the wedding on time.

I live in Brooklyn and if I was going to a wedding that is about an hour's drive from the port as the OP wrote, I wouldn't leave my house until about 12. They might not have time to freshen up, but getting off the ship by 10 would leave them twiddling their thumbs for 2 hours somewhere near the location of the wedding. Even if the hotel can't get them in a room, they could drop off their luggage.

I live in Brooklyn and if I was going to a wedding that is about an hour's drive from the port as the OP wrote, I wouldn't leave my house until about 12. They might not have time to freshen up, but getting off the ship by 10 would leave them twiddling their thumbs for 2 hours somewhere near the location of the wedding. Even if the hotel can't get them in a room, they could drop off their luggage.

Yes, it COULD work. But I do international logistics planning for a living and have an office in the South Bronx, with lots of customers all over LI. If I were to draw up a metric for this trip and used our software program to diagram it (I didn't-I just know from driving around), going to a hotel would be one of the LAST options. Just too many things that can go wrong within a 3 hour time frame. Contingency planning is the name of the game.

We also have NO idea where on LI. Exit 40 is a darn site different than Exit 62 (off the LIE) just as going to Merrick is much different than going to Stony Brook.

Yes, it COULD work. But I do international logistics planning for a living and have an office in the South Bronx, with lots of customers all over LI. If I were to draw up a metric for this trip and used our software program to diagram it (I didn't-I just know from driving around), going to a hotel would be one of the LAST options. Just too many things that can go wrong within a 3 hour time frame. Contingency planning is the name of the game.

We also have NO idea where on LI. Exit 40 is a darn site different than Exit 62 (off the LIE) just as going to Merrick is much different than going to Stony Brook.

you're absolutely right - things can always go wrong. I've been stuck on the Belt, VanWyck, Grand Central, Cross Island, Southern State, Northern State, and the LIE for over an hour for a span that is usually a 5 minute proposition and at all hours of the day and night.

And, the main point of the trip is the wedding, the cruise is the secondary, if I read the OP right.

But, the OP did say they were told 1 hour.

I would normally allow 1 hour for Exit 62, (my s-i-l lives at Exit 61 and we go there frequently- the worst traffic we ever hit took us 4 hours instead of 1 - that was on a rainy Thanksgiving Day) 45 minutes for Exit 40, unless I were the one getting married ;) - in which case, I'd be staying at the venue overnight or if I was in the bridal party, at which case, I would take a hotel room near the venue and leave for it at about 9 AM.

I would do it, but, then, I'm also the one who agreed to babysit my grandson in Bay Ridge (at 5PM), the day we disembarked the Island Princess and landed at Kennedy at around 3:30 ;).

Made it with 5 minutes to spare (on a Friday, during rush hour) after collecting luggage and seeing my dh & in-laws into their own cab while I caught another.

anyway, dropping off the luggage somewhere, if they are staying somewhere for the night, is a possibility - if the traffic is a 3 hour traffic jam that can't be gotten around, then they could just go with the flow and take it with them

Well, after all the suggestions, we've decided not to do the cruise and to make the wedding our priority. I'm the only one of the four of us who thinks we could do both but the priority is the wedding. We'll just have to wait until we get back to Florida to go cruising. Thanks for all the advice.

Well, after all the suggestions, we've decided not to do the cruise and to make the wedding our priority. I'm the only one of the four of us who thinks we could do both but the priority is the wedding. We'll just have to wait until we get back to Florida to go cruising. Thanks for all the advice.

enjoy the wedding

and your future cruise :)

Jeez. Don't tell me we scared you man. You should make the cruise your priority. No one really cares if you are late to the wedding unless it is your son or daughter's wedding. They just want to see your happy face at the reception and dinner afterwards :D

That said, I noticed you live in Florida. Yea, no sweat you have tons of choices to go on a cruise any time. If I were you, I'd not want to catch an overpriced cruise from NY anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

My past four cruises I have been back in my house in Hauppauge by 11:00. I think you could definitely check into a hotel and get to the wedding on time. Make sure you inform the customer service representatives at the desk that there is a special need for you to be off the ship first.

Archived