buy cigarettes on norwegian gem-west mediterranean?

TDOTCRUISR

Hi,

Tried to search, but am getting conflicting info. Can I buy cigarettes onboard the Norwegian Gem (west mediterranean route)? I need to bring some back for my dad. If not, any suggestions on where to buy for a good price? Many Thanks!

Hi,

Tried to search, but am getting conflicting info. Can I buy cigarettes onboard the Norwegian Gem (west mediterranean route)? I need to bring some back for my dad. If not, any suggestions on where to buy for a good price? Many Thanks!

You will be able to buy American brand cigs. on the Gem at about $25 A carton. They only carry the most popular ones and they often have a buy 3 and get the 4th carton free or 4 and get fifth carton free I can't remember which one being Canadian we are only allowed 200 cigs.

The US has the same 200 cigarette / 1 carton law. However that is per person so if you have 2 in your party - that's 2 cartons. However, I don't think the kiddies are allowed to bring them back into the country;)

It's mainly American brands. Don't know the prices but they are a good deal.

I just got off the Gem (5/3) sailing and was told it was ilegal for them to sell booze or ciggies on the ship. You can buy single packs at the bars, but there were no carton specials. I flew through Switzerland and bought a few cartons duty free at the airport.

Down here customs basicly told me that they dont care how many you have. As long as you dont come thru with 20 cartons or all diffrent kinds. That if you buy 5-10 cartons of the same kind they almost know its for you. Same for liquor. They said however many i can carry around with me just dont be bringing 3 cases of bacardi or something like that. Which would look like its to be sold.

I just got off the Gem (5/3) sailing and was told it was ilegal for them to sell booze or ciggies on the ship. You can buy single packs at the bars, but there were no carton specials. I flew through Switzerland and bought a few cartons duty free at the airport.

That sounds about right. The ship stops only at EU ports. Some Med itineraries take in Tunisia to go to a non-EU port and therefore avoid duty and can open their stores for this purpose. Malta was also used as a stop for this purpose prior to its joining the EU.

Hopefully someone will tell you which ports are cheapest for cigarettes.

Edited to add: if you're getting them for your dad and don't smoke, then the airport duty free shop on the way home may be your best bet.

Hi,

Hi, TDOT..This is from our Jade cruise in the Med in Feb. The cigs on sale at the bars were $3.70 per packet of 20; I didn't check the duty free price sales, but they wouldn't have the 15% tip you pay on anything from the bar. The cheapest place to buy in the Med seems to be Spain, around e3. I don't know if you are from the EU, but you can bring back a large amount of tobacco/cigs if you have paid the duty for that country. If you just want to bring 200 back, the cheapest way is possibly from Barcelona duty free shop in the terminal, straight after you have checked in for the cruise-on the left, just before you step on to the ship. They were about e23 for 200, with British brands such as Silk Cut. You cannot mix duty free and EU duty paid. Hope this helps!-jocap.

Archived