Will they replenish shampoo and soap?

kaneeta

My sister and I are sharing a cabin and I'm wondering if there will be enough shampoo etc. or should we bring some in case we run out?

Yes. If you picky about your hair, take your own shampoo though. The kind that ships supply is just slightly better than liquid detergent :D

Yes. If you picky about your hair, take your own shampoo though. The kind that ships supply is just slightly better than liquid detergent :D

Sorry to disagree, but HAL provides spa quality Elemis products in all staterooms... which I find to be FAR superior to liquid detergent!

We had it replenished daily with the lone exception of the 2nd to last day of the trip. I suspect it's a cost cutting measure to stop the pack rats from loading up on bottles before heading home

This is a HOLLAND AMERICA thread and HAL provides Elemis products. The shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. are of top quality.

They are nothing like the "stuff" you get in little cardboard cartons on Princess or like the "stuff" you squirt out of a container fastened to the wall of the shower on NCL.

There is no need to bring your own shampoo; they will check and replace if needed.

I LOVE the soap on HAL.:)

This may be a silly question, but do they provide a separate conditioner as well? I don't like the shampoo/conditioner combos, so want to know if they have both. Thanks!

Yes, we are currently on the Westerdam and will be docking in a few hours in Seattle. Our cabin stewart replenished ALL products when he saw they were getting low. There is a separate conditioner. These are all Elemis products, not the type you'll find in the local drugstore.

Also, our cabin stewart left us a whole new supply of the seven products along side the partial products which included two different soaps.

The products included:

1.7 ounce bottle - Pure Shine Shampoo - infused with the aroma of Lime, Basil, and Grapefruit.

1.7 ounce bottle - Pro-Vitamin Conditioner - a citrus experience that replenishes with conditioning Vitamin B5 Panthenol.

1.7 ounce bottle - Sharp Shower and Bath Gel - an aroma-therapeutic blend of Mint, Charmonile, Wild Marjoram, Nettle and Thyme in a Mineral rich Sea Salt base.

1.7 ounce bottle of Vitamin Rich-Body Lotion - infused with Vitamin-rich Wheat Germ, Carrot and Sweet Almond Oil.

For the Face: Citrus Soap Slice - pure Glycerin soap is lightly infused with the aroma of Grapefruit, Basil, Clove and Lime.

For the Body: pure zest cleansing soap - infused with nature's own Lime, Clove Leaf, Lavender and Rosemary Extracts in Palm Oil.

The conditioner is very thick -- very hard to get out of the bottle.

This may be a silly question, but do they provide a separate conditioner as well? I don't like the shampoo/conditioner combos, so want to know if they have both. Thanks!

yes, they are separate. DW loves the conditioner but refuses to use the shampoo as it makes her hair gooey. I on the other hand use both quite happily. I suspect that differing hair on one's head (if lucky enough to have any) and personal tastes affect the view of products, including HAL's.

We find that sometimes the cabin steward forgets to replace soap or shampoo .. and as mentioned, merely asking nicely gets it replaced quickly.

harry

My sister and I are sharing a cabin and I'm wondering if there will be enough shampoo etc. or should we bring some in case we run out?

From my recent experience on the Volendam (just finished a 33-day Hong Kong to Vancouver cruise), you probably won't need to bring your own shampoo unless you're really picky or you use alot. The Elemis shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & body lotion are good quality items. Our cabin stewards did not repenish them on a daily basis, more like every other day or two, but I'm sure you can request more if you run out. However, a couple who we met on the cruise had to keep asking for them because their cabin stewards didn't refill them. So unless you get some incompetent cabin stewards, you should be fine. Have a great cruise!

When the bottle is empty, leave it on the bathroom counter with the top off. You can also leave a note to the steward to replenish when close to empty. The gym showers also have Elemis products (as do the showers in the Thermal Suite). One day I refilled my empty shampoo bottle there. My cabin was close to the gym/spa so it was easier than trying to flag down my cabin steward.

I didn't care for the shampoo and conditioner. My hair is usually dry and very fine, but salt water makes it even worse. The Elemis didn't seem to help with the dryness so I used my own extra-nourishing shampoo and conditioner onboard. I'm sure it would be okay for people with normal hair or if I hadn't been swimming. The lotion was nice since I forgot mine and it was really rich with moisturizers. I didn't care for the scent of the shower gel but otherwise it was okay.

To be honest, I didn't like the Elemis products enough to want to use them everyday. They would be fine for a few days if I wasn't swimming in the ocean and didn't want to bring my own supplies.

I didn't care for the shampoo and conditioner. My hair is usually dry and very fine, but salt water makes it even worse. The Elemis didn't seem to help with the dryness so I used my own extra-nourishing shampoo and conditioner onboard. I'm sure it would be okay for people with normal hair or if I hadn't been swimming. The lotion was nice since I forgot mine and it was really rich with moisturizers. I didn't care for the scent of the shower gel but otherwise it was okay.

To be honest, I didn't like the Elemis products enough to want to use them everyday. They would be fine for a few days if I wasn't swimming in the ocean and didn't want to bring my own supplies.

I'm with you on that one. So many people rave about the Elemis products and I'm amazed because I think they are mediocre at best. I do use nice products at home so maybe my expectation is different. I usually bring my own shampoo and conditioner.

My wife and I were on the Zaandam last week...she has long hair and, at 46 years old, I still am not paying attention to hair loss commercials. :D Perhaps it was the joy of having a poor cabin steward, but we only received replacement soaps and hair products when we begged in writing. Several times we had to dip into our own stash that we'd brought from our pre-cruise hotel. :rolleyes: Even when placing empty bottles near the sink it was hit or miss. If you want to be clean each day, I'd make sure to bring a backup supply.

Wow. I never realized that this subject could generate so much discussion! Some people are really detail-oriented! I never thought of the shampoo like detergent either. The things you learn on this board!;)

:D If you complain about the stuff on Holland America, just imagine, for one moment, what the other cruiselines give you for your hair! Some weird stuff out of the wall that is green. No kidding. No conditioner either.:eek:

Archived