White Pass Railway closed?

Tinkrbell

I also thought it was cancelled for us too....here is what the nice person at the white pass railway offices wrote back to me when I enquired

Greetings from Skagway!

The washout that occurred does not affect the summit, or Fraser excursions. They are running on time as scheduled. Thank you for your inquiry we look forward to hearing from you.

White Pass & Yukon Route

Ticketing, Information, Reservations

231 Second Avenue

P.O. Box 435

Skagway, AK 99840

(800) 343-7373

(907) 983-2217

Fax (907) 983-2734

info@whitepass.net

We just did the White Pass this past week, it was great. We had a clear day and you could see for miles and miles. I would think that this would be a do not miss excursion, I would however go ahead and book this trip either with the cruise line or direct as we heard from some that they did not get to go as the train was sold out at the time we were in port as there were other ships there too.

A small portion of the railroad has washed out and is closed at least through June 29th. BUT this only will affect you if you'd booked an excursion to Bennett as the washout is between Fraser and Bennett. This doesn't affect the 3 hour round trips, or trips that end in Fraser.

I just did Dyea Dave's tour yesterday and I can't say enough about him. He picked us up at the train in Fraser (we took the 8am White Pass Rail) and we then went up to Emerald Lake (beautiful), Carcross (a little town of the likes I have never seen before), had lunch at a small diner (very good hamburgers), saw 4 bears, mountain goats. Dave is quite a character, very honest and loads of fun. He has been advertised so well on the internet he is beginning to have more business than he can handle so make your reservations early. He grew up in Alaska and has lived in Skagway for over 20 years so he really knows and loves the area. He will take you wherever you want and makes sure you get back to your ship on time. Had a truly wonderful day in Skagway and the beautiful Yukon with Dave. We were soooo glad we did this excursion.

I received an email today from Chilkoot Charters with this information:

"We have just received an update from the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad management. The notification states that rail service to Carcross only will be suspended now until June 29th."

Anyone who has booked the 9 hour Carcross tour will have to reschedule at least until June 29th, probably longer but they are playing it by ear.

ETA: oops, I see Wrona already posted this information.

Archived