Single mom with 8yr old on FOS

nikinakinoo

Hi

Im traveling alone with my DD next year on the FOS. I have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with,

1, We will be on first sitting for dinner, will I need to leave the dining room to take my DD to kids club or do they have a "collection" service.

2, I understand that The Quest is an adult theme, would they allow me to take my DD in with me to watch it, I have been to one before and I dont think its "to out there" she is very grown up for her age (as they all are these days!!!)

And also i would appretiate any tips on how to get through a cruise with 1 adult and 1 child.

Thank-you

If you do the My Time Family Dining, they will come and "collect" your child. Traditional dining--you'll have to take her.

Personally, I think 8 is too young for Quest---it's not "filthy" or anything, but it's really not appropriate for a child under 14-16, IMO...there's no need for them to grow up too fast, and it's up to a parent to allow a child to be a child!

There are plenty of other shows that will be appropriate for children and adults--take her to those, instead.

At 8 yrs. old, your daughter will be spending a goodly amount of time in the kid's club...she may want to spend some pool time with you, and you'll have your days in port to do things together. This can be a lovely "bonding" time with your daughter--enjoy the cruise, and your child!

Choose the My Time Family Dining option. It's new. The Adventure Ocean staff will come to the dining room to get her.

And as far as Quest, I know it's your child, but Quest is designed to be an "adult" activity. Why not just allow her to do age appropriate things with Adventure Ocean instead of being subjected to the foolish adult behaviors of quest? My 9 year old is pretty darn mature, but who needs to have her see woman taking off their bras so the men can put them on?

Some things are just better left for when they are older. ;)

Sometimes it seems as if the CDs and even participants in Quest will "censor" the activity if they see that parents have brought young children. I do not think this is fair to the adults who attend expecting it to be an adult activity. No, I do not mean x-rated or anything. We certainly are not interested in some of the Quests we've heard about that are practically x-rated--I'm far from a prude and have no problem with people enjoying that, but r-rated is more my "speed" when it comes to risque activities. The "themes," language, and behavior of Quest is meant to be for adults, not children, and is indicated as such. Each one is different, so the more "tame" one you've attended isn't necessarily the level of maturity that the next one will be.

I think it's great that the largest ships tend to have two Quests: One for families with children and one for the adults only. In the meantime, I think that the "for adults" rating should be respected by parents, regardless of how mature their young child is. Just because they're exposed to so much so early these days doesn't mean that it's appropriate to bring them to the adult Quest. We would not have brought our DD when she was younger than at least 16 (at which point, most teens would be mortified to attend that kind of activity with their parents), both for her sake and to respect the request of the cruise line and fellow passengers.

There are so many other activities that are more age-appropriate and that can be enjoyed by you both.

As always, JMO. I hope you have a wonderful cruise together.

beachchick

Hi all

Thanks for your replys, I think I will try and persuade my DD to stay in kids club while I go to the Quest. I must have caught a tame show when I went along to it, the most wildest thing was to show a thong so most wost women just pulled them above their trousers nobody stripped!! This is why I thought I might have been ok to take her, anything more than I saw I think I would be disgusted with myself for taking her along..:o

Thanks again

Nikkie

Oh also...

How does the scavanger hunt work...is this the game that is played throughtout the week. Im looking to enter as many games and activities as possible now that DD is older and its something we both can do together, and what other games/activities is there ( I guess theres a few lol) I want it to be totaly different from just sitting around the pool most of the time

Thanks

Nikkie

Archived