Recent Star voyagers to Alaska

tigerdadky

I arived at the pier at about 11am, and while it took about 10 minutes in line for the cab to get to the head of the line to let us out the rest of the process was painless. Walked thru security and checkin and was in the waiting area by 11:15. Boaded at 11:30 with the Elite group.

Getting off my group was called at 8:45am, I left the pier on the Princess transfer bus at 9am and was at the airport by 9:30. I'm not sure how you could make either experience any easier.

Just curious if anyone had any experience with the Kids clubs yet on the Star Princess for the Alaska sailings so far this year?

Any info and experience would be appreciated.

Also where was the best view areas for the sailing thru Tracy Arm?

Thanks.

Just curious if anyone had any experience with the Kids clubs yet on the Star Princess for the Alaska sailings so far this year?

Any info and experience would be appreciated.

Also where was the best view areas for the sailing thru Tracy Arm?

Thanks.

If you get on the promenade deck forward deck 8. You are at the very front of the ship. You can then walk to either side to see what you want. The ship will push giant tractor trailer size (on top of water, who knows how much is under water) icebergs aside to get in to see the Sawyer Glacier. You WILL feel and HEAR the iceberg scrape the side of the ship, what a thrill!!! If you get a little cold there just walk around to the first life boat over head on either side and there are vents with warm air coming down on you. You will be very close to the action here and not a lot of other folks around. We walked all around (Skywalkers, deck over the bridge, etc... and spent most of our time there on deck 8 promenade forward to view the ice fields and glacier.

I hope this helps.

Jon,

Can't really help with your Alaska question, but we were on the Star a few months ago and it was a great cruise (link to review on my signature). Crew were great, but many of them switched to other ships once the ship "went North".

The Star Princess herself is in great shape. The work they did at dry dock was very good and to be honest you'd be hard pressed to tell that it's seven year old ship. Food at the international cafe very good and worth going to every now and then as the menu changes through-out the day.

Internet cafe was good, but the ship-wide wifi wasn't working when we were on it (only worked in the piazza). Food was excellent.

Thanks to all the recent cruisers for your feedback, it's been really helpful. :) I just thought of another question for the platinum/elite cruisers: have you all been able to get the extra 30min internet bonus by signing up on embarkation day? There have been mixed reports about this, so I'm curious.

I didn't get the extra minutes. I asked about it and was told that it did not apply to Elite/Platnium level. Another friend complained harder and got the extra minutes.

I think Princess should give credit for Platnium but Elite should be unlimited. There were only 41 Elite on our cruise, how much more would that have cost them?

Was wondering how many Elite were on the cruise and figured you would know! I will be curious to see how many are on ours also. Did you go to the most traveled lunch or did they have a cocktail party? I remember when we were on the Star a couple years ago the Captain then just did the cocktail party's, but it is a different Captain now.

Has anyone driven to the port? Have a feeling it is going to be a bit different situation for those of us driving rather than taking the Princess transfers. I'm curious how the shuttle is between the parking lot under the Magnolia bridge back to the terminal and how it was getting back and forth with ones own car.

Have heard they are not giving the extra 30 minutes to the Platinum/Elite passengers. I agree that those extra minutes for that few Elite wouldn't have cost them much at all. We didn't get them on the last cruise either.

There are 2 long term parking places you can use. The closest is just under the Magnolia Bridge, and there is a shuttle to the pier. You can also use the long term parking at Pier 66, where the other cruise ship terminal is closer to downtown. The garage is across the train tracks/Alaskan Way from the Pier 66 terminal bldg. The Port of Seattle website says that there is a shuttle between Pier 66 garage and Pier 91.

I know where the parking places are and I wouldn't bother with the garage at Pier 66 for this terminal. I'm just curious if anyone has actually parked in the Republic Parking lot at the new pier. I made a reservation there just to be sure we would have parking. Just want to know how it was driving in dropping off anyone with luggage, making it back to the parking and then back on the shuttle to the building.

So, if anyone has done this yet, I would love to hear from you. Most everyone so far seems to have done a transfer or a taxi.

At least the weather report for this coming weekend is good. Will be nice to sail out of Seattle in sun.

Was wondering how many Elite were on the cruise and figured you would know! I will be curious to see how many are on ours also. Did you go to the most traveled lunch or did they have a cocktail party? I remember when we were on the Star a couple years ago the Captain then just did the cocktail party's, but it is a different Captain now.

Has anyone driven to the port? Have a feeling it is going to be a bit different situation for those of us driving rather than taking the Princess transfers. I'm curious how the shuttle is between the parking lot under the Magnolia bridge back to the terminal and how it was getting back and forth with ones own car.

Have heard they are not giving the extra 30 minutes to the Platinum/Elite passengers. I agree that those extra minutes for that few Elite wouldn't have cost them much at all. We didn't get them on the last cruise either.

We drove from Portland and stayed at the Comfort Inn on 5th and Roy. We payed a total of $139 for the two of us which included a full breakfast. They also had warm, chocolate chip cookies in the evening. We were able to leave our car there for free and payed $7 pp for a shuttle to the pier.

On our cruise there was a notification outside of the internet cafe that stated that elite/platinum members would not get the extra 30 minutes, so I knew in advance I would not get it. There were 46 elite members on board and I went to the most travelled luncheon that was lovely. I was very rushed as it was the same day as the ultimate ships's tour. The lunch was at noon and I had to be at the other end of the ship at 1:20. I would have liked to have had more time at the lunch, but that's the breaks!:p

I though the CC hostess Pamela said there were 41 Elite on board. In any case I did go to the luncheon, was told I was #7, a friend was #1 with 60 cruises. A third couple in our group also attended so we had 6 out of 40 people attending the luncheon. It was very nice, also attended the luncheon with Captain Oliver in Jan down in Antarctica

I though the CC hostess Pamela said there were 41 Elite on board. In any case I did go to the luncheon, was told I was #7, a friend was #1 with 60 cruises. A third couple in our group also attended so we had 6 out of 40 people attending the luncheon. It was very nice, also attended the luncheon with Captain Oliver in Jan down in Antarctica

I should have mentioned that I was on the 5/10 sailing.

Just got home yesterday from the May 17th sailing and I had a great time! As someone who has been on Princess for 10 years now (not as many cruises as I would like though) I have to say one thing that did disappoint me was the food, especially the lunch buffet in the Horizon Court. The food was good but the variety and selection, well to put it mildly it sucked. In years past when you went to the buffet you had all sorts of choices but this time there was not that good of a selection. If you liked what was there it was good, but if you did not, well.............. I ended up at the Pizzeria and burger place a few more times than I feel I should have.

Just my and my wife's opinion.

Tell us about the food! Anyone go to the speciality restaurants? How were they? How about the drinks? Any fun one's you especially liked? Will anyone be posted their pictures?

Tigerdadky: The ship will be at Pier 91.

Lynda and Doug: Thanks for the information on the most traveled luncheon. Usually for Alaska we make the cut too. Looking forward to the cruise and going back on the Star again. Doug I didn't remember that this was the same Captain that you had for the Antartica cruise. I knew Captain Perrin was supposed to be on the ship then, but it had changed.

Appreciate all the info.

Just got home yesterday from the May 17th sailing and I had a great time! As someone who has been on Princess for 10 years now (not as many cruises as I would like though) I have to say one thing that did disappoint me was the food, especially the lunch buffet in the Horizon Court. The food was good but the variety and selection, well to put it mildly it sucked. In years past when you went to the buffet you had all sorts of choices but this time there was not that good of a selection. If you liked what was there it was good, but if you did not, well.............. I ended up at the Pizzeria and burger place a few more times than I feel I should have.

Just my and my wife's opinion.

Our thoughts exactly!!!

I don't care for squid ball soup or beef tongue sandwiches. The fried mackerel smelled super fishy.

It was pizza (really good) and burgers for lunch most days.

What about the lack of a good fruit selection?

I thought the breackfast buffet was good.

Jon,

I am glad you fell the same way. Yes the breakfasts were good. We did have fun on the UST though....

Our thoughts exactly!!!

I don't care for squid ball soup or beef tongue sandwiches. The fried mackerel smelled super fishy.

It was pizza (really good) and burgers for lunch most days.

What about the lack of a good fruit selection?

I thought the breackfast buffet was good.

Jon,

I was also on the May 17 sailing. I had a great time!

I'm one of the people who felt that the disembarkation procedure at least for those with Princess transfers (I bought on the ship) for flights after 1 pm need work, as it was very frustrating and a long wait to board the busses. Had I known how bad it was, I would have been more than happy to pay more for the cab to the airport. However the cab line at the time I left was pretty horerendous as well.

Here's a few more points I'm not sure was mentioned.

The naturalist Alan was very informative, especially in Tracy Arm, when he provided the commentary.

Libby Riddles, who won the Iditorod, gave a presentation from 8-9 pm Wednesday Night (in Juneau). I didn't go to her presentation, but saw her and 2 of her dogs on the pier when I returned from an excursion before she boarded the ship.

Although I didn't see hot chocolate on deck, on Wednesday, after Tracy Arm they were handing out bouillion near the Calypso bar (covered pool).

I tried the Caribou chili on the tastes table by the same pool when they had Alaska-themed food. It was pretty good (but not my favorite--I like beans in my chili). It was served with rice, by the way. They also had big platters of smoked salmon that day.

They had the Pub lunch both on Wednesday (same day as Tracy Arm, before we docked in Juneau) and Friday (sea day) in the Crown Grill from 11:30 to 1:30. I went early both days and it wasn't crowded. Since it was in the Crown Grill, I don't know if people thought it was charged for. They had 4 choices: Fisn & Chips, Cottage Pie, Bangers & Mash, and Ploughman's Lunch. I tried Fish & Chips and Bangers & Mash as I went both times and both were quite tasty. I'd rate the Fish the better of the two if I had to pick.

They didn't seem to mention it in the Patter, but they had bottles of Alaska Amber Beer available at the bars.

The Alaskan King Crab at dinner on Thursday night (Chef's Dinner) was very delicious, surpassing the Lobster tail/King Prwan entree on Friday night (2nd Formal). Escargot was not on the menu on Friday night, but Iasked for it and had it that night.

On the last night in Victoria, dinner was open sitting in both the traditional and one of the anytime dining rooms (both on Fiesta deck 6). The Capri on Deck 5 (by the Piazza) was closed that night. I believe the buffet was also open but I never went to the buffet for dinner.

In Ketchikan, the Gangway was on 4 (Gala) by the Medical Center midship. On all other ports, they had 2 gangways (midship) available, with deck 4 available for wheelchairs but they didn't stop anyone else from getting on or off there.

As the Star was always the largest ship in port, we docked the farthest away from town in the Alaskan ports. We saw the Veendam in each Alaskan port and they were right by the town. Thre were always at least 3 ships and usually 4 ships in port with us.

There was always shuttle transportation available to town at all of the ports.

I took tours in each Alaskan port and I felt the the best organized for getting people onto buses was in Ketchikan.

We had tremendous weather, the service on the ship was excellent, and I had very enjoyable trip.

I hope everyone going in the future also has a wonderful trip.

Janet

Janet:

Thank you for all your information too.

Can you tell me which night was the Italian night! It must have been either Tuesday or Wednesday after reading your post. Since the Chef's Menu was Thursday, I can now narrow it down some. We are going to the Crown Grill one night and of all the menu's I just don't care for is the Italian one. Would so appreciate it if you can recall what night it was.

Also, you mentioned the chili and the tables set up by the pool. Was that Tracy Arm day? It is so nice to have a few of these things in mind before we board.

We docked the farthest out last August on the Star in Juneau and it sounds like they are using that dock again this year.

Lynda: I'm really hoping the weather holds next week for Alaska. It is supposed to be beautiful here in Seattle, which is so nice. We had a beautiful Memorial Day which is so unusual for us.

Appreciate all the information.

We docked the farthest out last August on the Star in Juneau and it sounds like they are using that dock again this year.

Susan - the Franklin pier is a dedicated Princess pier. I think Carnival may use it also. I don't know all the details but it is a pier that Princess financially contributed to that allows them to hook up to Juneau's power and save energy.

It is only when 2 Princess ships are in Juneau at the same time, when another pier or tender is used and that is usually ships that do not do the 7 night run.

Theresa:

Didn't realize that. I know when we were there a few years ago we didn't dock there, so it was a new pier to me last August. Was nice when the ship was right in town, but at least they have the shuttles running all the time.

Susan

Our group ate in the Crown Grill on the Skagway day, I believe that was Italian night. Overall the dinner was good but took between 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The biggest complaint we all had was that the food was not served hot enough. None of us finished the Balck and Blue Onion soup, I think we all would have preferred the tradional French Onion version.The hostess was a lot of fun but we really came for the food.

Hi Doug: Thank you for the info when Italian night is. Sorry to hear the food wasn't that hot. Makes it disappointing. We really like the new black and blue french onion soup so will be sorry if it isn't hot also. Don't think we have ever had dinner take that long other than at Sabatini's. Surprised to read that. Thank you for letting me know the night.

Susan

Archived