Do they have a "weigh in" for Helicopters?

gaylenhazel

We flew with Temsco in Juneau a couple of years ago and we were weighed before the flight - they use the information to assign the seating so they can keep the weight load balanced.

We have not taken the helicopter in Alaska, but we did in Hawaii, and they have a scale right there that no one else sees what you weigh, but it gives the person behind the desk your exact weight, don't forget this is with close on.

Yes, they do check weights, but the classy ones do not yell that information to someone else. While I am uncomfortable with the weigh in process, I am grateful that safety is important. I do not want to be on a helicopter where someone has not told the truth about his or her weight and safety is compromised.

Mary

Just did the helicopter tour last Monday and yes, they weighed us in. We had to hold everything that we were going to take onto the helicopter so that added to the weight. They told us to put our purses/backpacks in the cubbies because of limited room but one person brought her bag on with her. There was a sign taped right to the scale that said, "Blame it on the Cruise"!

Thank you everyone!

Avidreader - how did you like the trip? Did you think it was worth the money? I could buy another cruise ticket for what it costs! I want to make sure it is worth it. Others chime in please. Love to hear all comments.

Thank you everyone!

Avidreader - how did you like the trip? Did you think it was worth the money? I could buy another cruise ticket for what it costs! I want to make sure it is worth it. Others chime in please. Love to hear all comments.

While the helicopter trips are very expensive, they are "once in a lifetime" trips and I truly believe they are worth it ! I'm glad I had the opportunity to fly in one and walk on a glacier while in Juneau and don't regret the amount spent. :)

OP- Yes, in fact it's an FAA regulation. The reason you don't weigh in for airline flights is they have a system using average weights to calculate Weight and Balance.

avidreader- We're from South OC! It sounds like you took Coastal, I remember the funny "blame it on the cruise" sign by their scales.

I went on a solo trip to Alaska in 2000 and did the helicopter/glacier walk first then a wildlife cruise. Loved the glacier trip and do not regret the extra cost. I did not anticipate that I'd be able to go back so I applied for a credit card for the trip and did every single thing I wanted to do - paid it off in a year but 9 years later I still am in awe about the glacier. The helicopter ride over Juneau was magnificent and walking on the glacier is the wildest feeling because you are kind of scared because it creaks and makes noises while you are on it. You can also see down inside various crevices that are the most unbelievable blue color you will ever see. On the wildlife cruise we saw LOTS of seals, birds, otters, two bears, and three humpbacks and one blew right next to the boat we were on. I got a fabulous tail fin shot. Go for it!

YES, it was totally worth it! I am terrified of flying but made myself get on the helicopter. The views were amazing and our pilot was fantastic. We used Coastal and didn't go to Mendenhall but another glacier but it was great as we were the only ones there. Wish I would have brought a water bottle because the pilot encouraged us to drink the water that was right at the glacier. I didn't but my hubby did. My 2.5 year old touched the water too! For me, this was a once in a lifetime experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Kenish~ What a small world. We are from the HB area.

I also just did the heli ride in Juneau from Princess. I think it was Temsco. They did NOT weight us in. My husband is about 210 (6'5) so I would think they would have checked his weight. They didn't.

We did the 2 hr trek and while it cost over 800 it was sooooo worth it. What a amazing experience.

Interesting there was no weigh-in. Did your trip have empty seats, or were there kids on board? If it was clear they were nowhere near the weight limit they could estimate weight & balance of the aircraft. However they were taking a tiny risk someone on the tour was actually a FAA inspector. Sort of like your grocery store checking ID of people looking 30 or under. It's pretty obvious when someone is old enough to buy liquor; the store could use their judgment but most would rather be overly conservative.

There was no empty seats. We had 6 people in the heli. I would say the other couple we were with were on the smaller size. Not tiny but way under 250. Maybe even a total of 250 between the two (or a bit more). I guess if its obvious they don't check. But my husband is 210 without all the gear. And he is so tall 6'5.

Yes, they do weigh you and if you are 250 Lbs or greater they charge you 50% of the price weight surcharge.

What the heck is the price weight surcharge - if you are 252, you get charged 50% more on top of the original charge?

What the heck is the price weight surcharge - if you are 252, you get charged 50% more on top of the original charge?

That is correct, So if the excursion normally costs $300, if you are over 250 Lbs your cost will be $450. My wife & I just returned from a 14 night cruise to Alaska on the ms Statendam and were looking at the tours for Juneau and they clearly listed a rate of 150% for people over 250 Lbs, since both of us are over 250 Lbs we would have had to effectively pay 3 fares for the trip so we decided against it.

While the helicopter trips are very expensive, they are "once in a lifetime" trips and I truly believe they are worth it ! I'm glad I had the opportunity to fly in one and walk on a glacier while in Juneau and don't regret the amount spent. :)

We looked at it as a once in a lifetime thing too...but we're willing to spend the $$ to go again, it was that amazing. Especially to my Florida kids, who hadn't seen snow! What did shock me was the price increase over the past 5 years, it's almost doubled.

Hello,

I want to do the helicopter tour but I wonder how many people could stand in the helicopter?

If you want to take picture or film the view do you have a chance or if you are in the middle of 2 people and don't have access to a window?

I never went on a helicopter so I am very stupid for that.

Please help me with that.

Charlot

Hmmm...everyone on here seems to have been weighed before their glacier trek, but I just went last week with my father (we used Northstar), and we weren't weighed. He was right--and I mean right--up against the 250 mark, especially with the gear. I know they asked our weights when we registered. I guess they just used that. A couple of notes, though: 1. our group was running late and had to rush to get in our gear, and 2. we only had 5 in our helicopter, not 6. Still, I didn't even so much as see a scale...and trust me, it was a big concern.

That said, it was definitely worth doing it once. Alaska was so amazing, and there's so much that I didn't get to see, that I probably wouldn't do it next time, but once was a terrific experience. Have fun!!!

I would venture to say that they will ask you your weight and make a visual judgement as to whether you are close to correct. If you appeared to be over 250 and didn't give a weight close to that then they might break out a scale. I do know when we got off the ship in Juneau I heard the tour operator asking the people joining her tour their weight and she did give them a glance over after asking, so some sort of judgement was being done.

There is no standing room in the helicopter and you have to be securely belted in for the entire flight. Think of the interior space as similar to a mini-van.

So it is possible that I won't be near a window ?

If I want to take picture, is it possible?

In a mini-van if I am in the middle, my picture will show frame of the window and may be more... just want to be sure.

If we are 6 on the heli, are we 2 by 2 or 3 by 3?

Charlot

Hmmm...everyone on here seems to have been weighed before their glacier trek, but I just went last week with my father (we used Northstar), and we weren't weighed. He was right--and I mean right--up against the 250 mark, especially with the gear. I know they asked our weights when we registered. I guess they just used that. A couple of notes, though: 1. our group was running late and had to rush to get in our gear, and 2. we only had 5 in our helicopter, not 6. Still, I didn't even so much as see a scale...and trust me, it was a big concern.

That said, it was definitely worth doing it once. Alaska was so amazing, and there's so much that I didn't get to see, that I probably wouldn't do it next time, but once was a terrific experience. Have fun!!!

I did the North Star Glacier Trek/Ice Wall climb on May 17, no one was weighed in. We were asked our weight but that was it. Our group had 4 people and there were 7 of us on the helicopter: the pilot, 4 hikers, and 2 guides, one of which we were dropping off on the glacier so she could met another tour. Climbing the ice wall was the best part. It definitely was worth every penny and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Archived