Help. ladies...

I am looking for a natural perhaps even organic method for dealing with puffy eyes/skin. I know about cool packs and cucumbers. Is there anything else out there, tried and true? I don't drink (alcohol) but I admit, my sleep has not been as great (perhaps that's it...) I drink LOTS of water, don't add salt to my food. I'm getting tired of using under eye cover up, especially during the warmer weather. I don't use lots of makeup...just like a more natural, pulled together look. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.:) If you've used over the counter (or otherwise:o) products I'd like to hear about those as well. :rolleyes:

Teabags (wet) are said to be helpful. But truly, once your skin starts to lose it's elasticity, there's not alot (long-term) that you can do....the little "fat pads" that have been held in by tight, young skin loosen with age , and start to protrude, giving you "bags" under your eyes. The dark circles are caused by thin skin, letting the blood flow show through.

Surgery is the only permanent answer.

Concealers/make-up applied properly will help disguised the bags and circles.

Teabags (wet) are said to be helpful. But truly, once your skin starts to lose it's elasticity, there's not alot (long-term) that you can do....the little "fat pads" that have been held in by tight, young skin loosen with age , and start to protrude, giving you "bags" under your eyes. The dark circles are caused by thin skin, letting the blood flow show through.

Surgery is the only permanent answer.

Concealers/make-up applied properly will help disguised the bags and circles.

Another endorsement of teabags. I got permanent eyeliner a couple of years ago, and was given cold teabags to help control the swelling. They worked, and felt wonderful fresh from the fridge! Good luck, Donia

While I don't suffer from puffy eyes (I've got other issues :rolleyes:), I've had friends rave about 100 % Pure Eye Cream. It's organic, etc. at a great price and easy to find. It's the caffeine (like tea bags) that seems to work so well. I use a few amazing products from natural/organic lines such as Eminence, Korres and Mario Badescu. Oh, and Dr. Hauschka. You could look into those as well but there are so many amazing natural lines out there now. Like anything else with skincare, one product doesn't work the same for everyone. I hope you find something that works amazingly for you!

BTW- I've read many places... that for dramatic results in a pinch or for a special occasion that Preparation H (sorry, I know) can eliminate puffy, bags, etc. They use it for models on photo shoots. Probably not organic or very glamorous but thought I would throw it out there. ;)

CB is right. The only permanent answer is surgery. The puffs are caused by the fat pads underneath the eyeball herniating out. It gets worse when people don't sleep well, and/or are stressed and it gets worse with age as muscles weaken and skin gets thinner.

I had my nose fixed when I was in my 20's and at the time, the doctor determined that I was pre-destined to have bags under my eyes when I hit my 40's. (my father had bags under his eyes). So he suggested that while he's fixing my nose, why not sew up the little hernia then, and I'd never get bags? I'm so thankful that he suggested it. I'll never have them now.

The operation was simple then, so I'm sure it's even simpler now. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

The suggestion to elevate your head while sleeping might help, as well as what you're already doing, ie drinking water, limiting salt, etc.

Try using undereye gels, not creams. Oily creams can keep water trapped, and you want it released.

Good luck.

Puffy bags under the eyes are usually hereditary. My husband had his fixed in his 40's (both parents had them, his mom had hers fixed years ago). We all get them to some degree as we get older tho.

You want to use a lighter concealer (if you use make up) on dark circles to lessen the dark color. However, on a bag - you need to use a slightly darker color concealer. A light color will just highlight it and make it appear to protrude even more.:eek:

If you have not had a good physical in a while, that may be in order also, just to make sure you are not having any kidney, liver, thyroid, etc malfunctions which can sometimes cause you to retain fluids.

Good luck.

The first thing I would do is to see a good naturopath. There may be a medical reason for suddenly puffy eyes. I think I read somewhere that puffiness under the eyes can be an indication of a weakness in the kidneys. I know it's contrary to everything we hear, but could you be drinking too much water and overloading them?

Having said that, have you changed your routine lately? A new cosmetic or face cream? Cleanser? Shampoo? Styling product? New pillows? Old pillow that should be changed? Allergies can spring up at any time, and can interfere with your sleep, too.

Thanks, ladies, for the many informative responses.:)

Here are some updates:

I've recently had a physical and am in great health...no kidney, thyroid, etc. issues, thank goodness. I exercise vigorously, regularly (3 to 4X a week) so I do drink lots of water. My diet is balanced and healthy...lots of fruits, veggies and other healthy options. I've had some good results with the prep-h 'cure'. However, there was one major negative...I developed a small (thank goodness!) chalazion in the corner of one eye which had to be drained. I must say, the issue is not so bad as to require surgery. I'm just seeing a more noticeable, frustrating difference. Maybe I'm having a tough time adjusting to my aging face...:rolleyes: I guess we all go through this stage. It's like getting used to a whole, new, not so happy-in-the-morning 'you'.:o

I had forgotten the caffeine suggestion which is a very good one. I will try this again. I also don't think it's not a family issue. As I said, I've not been getting the best sleep and I think this is definetely adding to this in a huge way. I've just bought new pillows so I will keep you all posted. Thanks, again for the generous responses. Deep down, I think a cruise probably would cure whatever is ailing me. We have two graduations this year, one coming up later this week, so I think that plan will have to wait just a bit!

Archived