Cruise Line vs Solo

sscruising

We went to st. John last year on our own & it ended up being very expensive doing it on our own. Are we better off paying the $50 some thru the cruise line or is there anyone who knows the most economical way to go? I just want to swim & sit on the beach & my husband brings his own snorkel equipment & snorkels at his leisure.

Sandi

Actually, I prefer to go to St. John on my own. It may cost $120 or so per couple through the ship and you are on their time schedule. On your own, it will be a taxi to the ferry, ferry, taxi to Trunk/Cinnammon Bay etc, and back, but I bet it is still much cheaper on your own. (Costs are easy to find on the internet.) Also, if you change your mind on where to go, you can.

We went to St. John on our own and it was relatively inexpensive. We took the local bus ($2 each way pp) from Crown Bay to Red Hook. Then the ferry ($6.10 pp - if I remember correctly) to St. John. From there we hiked the National Park trail to a secluded beach (free) and went swimming and exploring. There were just a couple of other people there and they were snorkeling.

It was a great day and did not cost an arm and a leg.

We went to St. John on our own and it was relatively inexpensive. We took the local bus ($2 each way pp) from Crown Bay to Red Hook. Then the ferry ($6.10 pp - if I remember correctly) to St. John. From there we hiked the National Park trail to a secluded beach (free) and went swimming and exploring. There were just a couple of other people there and they were snorkeling.

It was a great day and did not cost an arm and a leg.

My husband and I want to do the same thing... Did you walk from Cruz Bay in St. John to the national park trail head and which trail did you hike? Lastly, which beach did you swim and explore?

We did do it on our own last year & it cost &40 rt from downtown to Red hook,$12 for the ferry, $40 to & from ferry to Trunk, $10 ? admission, plus $30 chair-and a $50 deposit. All told it cost us about $102 for the 2 of us. Where exactly is the bus to Red Hook? That would definitely save a few bucks!

Sandi

We did St. John on our own. Definitely worth the trip. We caught the bus at the corner where the Kmart plaza is. After leaving Havensight, cross the street, face left and walk up 2 blocks. We paid $2 pp to go to Red Hook.

CrusingMom - the trail head that is in walking distance from the ferry dock in Cruz Bay is Lind Point Trail. It starts right behind the National Park Visitor Center. It leads to Soloman, Honeymoon and Caneel Bay. You can do the whole thing and then take a taxi back from Caneel or just stop at one of the first two beaches and then hike back. Bring snack/drinks with you, there are no amenities at the first two beaches. If you head to Caneel there is a resort there so there is a restaurant/bar etc. You can check a St. John Beach guide for information on the three beaches listed and the hiking trail too: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+john+beach+guide+north+side&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Archived