Mediterranean - best time to go weatherwise

We are thinking about a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and would appreciate any thoughts on the best time to cruise.

We are looking for warm weather (80s) for swimming, boating etc. We realize that this would probably be the most expensive time to go. but the cruise will be a once in a lifetime deal for us and we'll be willing to spend a little more.

What about crowds at that time of year?

Thanks for whatever contribution you can make to resolve our dilemma.:)

We are thinking about a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and would appreciate any thoughts on the best time to cruise.

We are looking for warm weather (80s) for swimming, boating etc. We realize that this would probably be the most expensive time to go. but the cruise will be a once in a lifetime deal for us and we'll be willing to spend a little more.

What about crowds at that time of year?

Thanks for whatever contribution you can make to resolve our dilemma.:)

If you want really warm weather then you are going to have to go between may and october. You can save a little money by going in may or late september and october. We cruised out of Barcelona this Jannuary and the weather was very comfortable for long sleves and long pants. It was cold at the Alhambra but it is in the mountains the folks that stayed in Malaga on Jannary 18 enjoyed 70 degree weather. We visited Malaga, Cadiz, Lanzarote, Tenerife, and Casablanca. The weather was generally in the 70s during the day and 40s at night once we left Barcelona. The big advantage is there were no Crowds!We always travel to Europe in the off season to avoid the Crowds. If you go to rome or france or greece in the summer you will waste a lot of time standing in line that you won't experience in the off season. Never go in August when all of Europe is on vacation. Also do you want a cultural trip or a trip to the Med sea shore? I always advise travel to Europe in the fall and winter to experience the culture without the crowds.

Also do you want a cultural trip or a trip to the Med sea shore? I always advise travel to Europe in the fall and winter to experience the culture without the crowds.

Thanks for the weather info. :)

You ask a very interesting question regarding seashore vs. culture. We are just in the very early stages of planning and this gives us something interesting to think about. I guess the beaches are not as important as seeing the cultural and scenic aspects of the Med countries. We can get our beaches in the Caribbean.

FWIW, I completely agree with the comment above. If this is to be a "culture" trip, the off-season is the best. 90 F and a bright sun might be great for the beach, but it certainly is not perfect for trudging around cities .. particularly when you add the crowds.

Also, a cruise is kind of a waste if all you want are beaches--you could do a land trip to somewhere like Greece and do more of that.

I find the weather very nice in May generally, and the crowds not as bad. Even in early June the crowds are better, and the weather nice and warm.

We've enjoyed Med cruises in September and October ... beautiful weather (great for walking, and in late Sept/early Oct. still nice for swimming). Crowds are still heavy, but with planning, you can avoid standing in lines. Our cruises at that time of year have been pretty much 'adult only' since most families don't take their children out of school at the beginning of the school year.

Two things that would deter me from doing a 'winter' cruise in the Med are the shorter daylight hours (worth looking up on a sunrise/sunset calendar if this is important to you), and not being able to enjoy the balcony or outdoor areas of the ship when the weather is too cold.

We too focus on the cultural, historic and scenic side of travel when in the Med, but can't resist the opportunity to swim at a fantastic beach if the opportunity presents itself during our outing ... we've had some nice swims on Santorini, Mykonos and along the Aegean coast of Turkey.:)

I've travelled to the Med. at all different times of year and I find July and August too hot for sightseeing, however before mid May and after mid October there is a good chance you will experience some rain and cooler weather. November to February is winter in the Mediterranean and while it can still be pleasant and sunny the weather can quickly change to cold and miserable. Personally I find the best time to visit the Western and Eastern Med. to be June or September.

Have a great trip :)

I've travelled to the Med. at all different times of year and I find July and August too hot for sightseeing, however before mid May and after mid October there is a good chance you will experience some rain and cooler weather. November to February is winter in the Mediterranean and while it can still be pleasant and sunny the weather can quickly change to cold and miserable. Personally I find the best time to visit the Western and Eastern Med. to be June or September.

Have a great trip :)

GREAT to hear! We'll be on the Jade September 5-17th...you've made my day. :)

Wow - thank you all for the great responses.:)

It seems to me from reading them, that the best time frame for us would be May/June or September/October. Next step will be to compare prices and try to whittle it down some more. We would also like to add a cruise tour prior to the cruise, so that will probably also limit us to certain embarkation ports.

I love all this vacation planning and there is nothing better than planning for the next cruise.:D

Thanks again!!

Weather is fickle...... in the Med, in the Caribbean or anywhere else.

Our first trip we went the very end of Nov./early Dec. and had absolutely gorgeous warm sunny perfect weather. We enjoyed touring the sights in high 60 degree to low/mid 70 degree weather as I would much rather put a sweater on then sweat to death :eek: I mostly carried my sweater. I would go again this time of year in a heartbeat. Trees etc were in full fall color......red, gold, orange mixed with the evergreens were stunning. Especially in Tuscany, Amalfi coast and Provence France.

That said, dh schedule would not allow that this year so we just got back from the May 4th sailing of Celebrity Solstice. Also very nice but beginning to get pretty warm especially touring Ephesus and Athens was already hot. But the flowers all in bloom - gorgeous.

Our best "deal" was the Nov. cruise at $899.pp for 9 nights highest category balcony on the ship (Brilliance) Also used frequent flyer miles that were not available in early May :(.

I've been in early October and late April, and both were beautiful weather with fewer crowds. Mostly weather in the high 60s/low 70s with little or no rain, perfect for touring and walking through town. Bring clothes to layer; it can get cool in the evening but in some spots it was near 80 at midday.

Archived