Will I be disappointed?

Coolmama_1

I am told that this year the recession has taken its toll on Alaska Cruises, and that the cruise lines have far more cabins available this season than they can fill. To remedy this for next year, they have pulled some ships out of service in Alaska and sent them elsewhere (they cancelled my July 2010 NCL Sun cruise!!! which I rebooked on HAL) and have eliminated the number of cruises the ships there will do. The plan will effectively reduce the number of cabins available in 2010 by 10,000 from this year. And as we all know from economics class, supply and demand --- the price will be up.

We planned on 2010 as we already have Europe booked for this year, so we got caught in the higher priced cruises as well! If only I had extra time and money this year we'd do Alaska on the cheaper cruises.

They are so cheap this year as they have drastically marked them down since the beginning of the year. Be assured the catalog prices for these cruises were never this low. Hope this helps explain the price discrepancy between right now and next year.

We are looking at July 2010 but the prices are insane! The same cruise in May is about 1200 less for the same cabin. This is our first time in Alaska. Will I be disappointed if we move our cruise to May?

If you are talking about the difference between May 2010 and July 2010 and saving $1,200......by all means do it! May is a great time to go cruising. We just got back from the Pearl and Alaska was beautiful. I think some of the theory is that Alaska is still a bit chilly in May, but it wasn't at all. Our temps were in the mid to high 60's which was very comfortable.

The other reason for the higher prices in the summer months is that there is more demand because families can travel together with the kids being out of school. If you can save enough money to pay for almost all of your souvenier and excursion spending, don't think twice about it.

Our first cruise to Alaska was the second week of May 2008. You definitely won't be disappointed in May! It wasn't as cold as I had thought it would be and DH and I were fine wandering around in windblocking Northface/Columbia jackets that only had a slightly warm liner.

We've booked again May 9, 2010 for the reason you're contemplating. I couldn't believe the price difference between June/July and the first week they sail in May. It was just too much of a savings for us to pass up!

We sailed at the first of May this year and loved it. Had perfect weather, but it could have been different.

Pros

We were the first ship up so we had almost all of the ports to ourselves.

Had our pick of independent tour operators

Cost of cruise was the same for a 14 night cruise vs a 7 day cruise later

Foilage on the train in Skagway wasn't out so we were able to get pictures you wouldn't get later in the year.

Cons

Bears weren't out as they had a late winter so they weren't moving

No salmon in streams

Lots of other ships when you are in port, some places 5 ships would be a nightmare getting around.

Our next cruise will be a land tour cruise when the salmon are running in August.

Early May is often cold and dismal, late May is usually very nice. I'm a big fan of historic weather averages (as well as watching the weather for 20 years from my home north of Skagway), and my cutoff date is about May 20th.

Always agree with Yukon.

The latter you can go you will find most of the snow will be gone, the many hundred or thousands of waterfalls will be thawed out, lots of wild life. About the same as progressing from one season to another. But the unexpected can always happen.

Jack

for the redneck

My dear Mom and I will be sailing from Seattle on July 5th. We already made the mistake (I think) of flying the same day as sailing. We are out of Philadelphia a 7hr flight. We arrive @1030 am should we go straight to the ship? Or can we get a quick lunch somewhere to see a bit of Seattle? ]

Also anyone else going on this cruise? Thanks; you all are so very kind and most helpful.

Arriv0ng that early isn't a mistake - it gives you a fair bit of flexibility and you should have no problem getting lunch before you start the boarding process. I'd certainly drop your luggage at the dock first, though - then there are some excellent restaurants along the waterfront, such as Elliot's http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/4243-seattle-waterfront.html

Having just returned from a mid may cruise..first sailing of the season, and had perfect, dry, warm weather (for Alaska) I would say for that amount of money, YES! Many locals told us our weather was way better and warmer than ALL last summer. Of course this can change, but one of our local guides did say that May is the dry season..something to consider.

If you have your heart set on seeing the Salmon run in or a lot of bear sightings, you may stick with summer as you won't see salmon in May. We did see 4 black bears but very far away. I suppose they aren't something you want too too close...but I confess I would have liked a good picture. :)

We saw absolutely every kind of wildlife..in May..tons of whales, including a whole pod of breeching Orca's..baby included.

There was tons of green, many lakes defrosted. I don't know if it is typical or not. We were way up in the Yukon with no jackets!

Alaska was ANYTHING but cold and dismal last week!

Julie

Having just returned from a mid may cruise..first sailing of the season, and had perfect, dry, warm weather (for Alaska) I would say for that amount of money, YES! Many locals told us our weather was way better and warmer than ALL last summer. Of course this can change, but one of our local guides did say that May is the dry season..something to consider.

If you have your heart set on seeing the Salmon run in or a lot of bear sightings, you may stick with summer as you won't see salmon in May. We did see 4 black bears but very far away. I suppose they aren't something you want too too close...but I confess I would have liked a good picture. :)

We saw absolutely every kind of wildlife..in May..tons of whales, including a whole pod of breeching Orca's..baby included.

There was tons of green, many lakes defrosted. I don't know if it is typical or not. We were way up in the Yukon with no jackets!

Alaska was ANYTHING but cold and dismal last week!

Julie

I wanted to add that I have a dear friend that sailed in July in Alaska so she would be warm, and it was cold, windy, rainy and in the 40s. She was so miserable she came home with a poor impression of Alaska. My point is, you really never know what the weather will hold! I do definitely plan to go back one day as I really want to see the salmon and go to Denali and such, so our next trip will likely be during a time conducive to that.

I wanted to add that I have a dear friend that sailed in July in Alaska so she would be warm, and it was cold, windy, rainy and in the 40s. She was so miserable she came home with a poor impression of Alaska. My point is, you really never know what the weather will hold! I do definitely plan to go back one day as I really want to see the salmon and go to Denali and such, so our next trip will likely be during a time conducive to that.

We were in that unseasonable cold weather last July also. That was our 7th trip to Alaska, the weather is so unpredictable. When we go back in late August this year, we have bought a set of Under Armour Cold Gear just in case! It's easy to pack and very light weight.

and had a fantastic trip. Little bit of rain when in Ketchikan but otherwise it was great weather the whole trip. I saw black bear, whales, lots of eagles, seals, caribou, otters, and Dall's sheep. I was amazed at how beautiful the flowers were in Ketchikan at that time. This year we're going the end of August. Another neat part of going in the early part of the season is that you are going when the sun is setting later so you get up to 15-17 hours of sunlight depending on how far up you go.

Personally, the only thing that would be a reason for me to go at the high price time of July would be to see the grizzlies at salmon time and if I make a trip to do that later on down the road I'll do just a bear trip rather than a cruise with it.

Save the money on the cruise itself and use it on doing other excursions, etc. Alaska will be just as beautiful and you'll be able to experience more of it.

From the critics I have been reading May would be a greatime. From my reading. I would do my homework to make sure roads and sites would not be snowed in or froze. Don't expect to see Salmon spawing but bear viewing is possible. There are many bear flight tours that will take you from Anchorage or Homer to bear viewing areas where the bear forage for berries at that time of year. Cubs would be younger at that time of year as well.

Early May is often cold and dismal, late May is usually very nice. I'm a big fan of historic weather averages (as well as watching the weather for 20 years from my home north of Skagway), and my cutoff date is about May 20th.

That is why I listed in my cons late winter. I forgot to mention the snow that was still keeping us from going very far in Icy Stait Point, or that the lake was still frozen and paths closed at Mendenhall Glacier and Emerald Lake was just starting to thaw. It was cool to get snowed on when going to Carcross and throwing a snow ball at hubby at the Yukon sign. I was just happy it was in the upper 50's and for the most part not raining. It could have been an entirely different cruise if we had rainy days instead of partly cloudy to sunny.

My dear Mom and I will be sailing from Seattle on July 5th. We already made the mistake (I think) of flying the same day as sailing. We are out of Philadelphia a 7hr flight. We arrive @1030 am should we go straight to the ship? Or can we get a quick lunch somewhere to see a bit of Seattle? ]

Also anyone else going on this cruise? Thanks; you all are so very kind and most helpful.

We didn't want seafood again after our cruise. If you find Elliott's that Yukon suggegsted, and you don't want to pay that much or have seafood again, you will find a Red Robin just right across the pier. They too have the same view at Elliotts

It's now Emerald - that "hard water" is gone :D

Dang, I just knew if I kept stomping my foot on the road that the ice would break. :D My pictures show some green, but not enough so I will have to go back. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

We cruised in early May of 2004 and were blessed with warm and dry weather for most of the cruise...with brilliant sunshine in Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and College Fjord, and downright HOT weather in Fairbanks...

Last year we cruised in June/July and experiences cool and rainy weather for much of the cruise, but enjoyed it every bit as much.

Weather is always a crap shoot...the real disadvantage of cruising early in the season comes if you plan a trip to Denali, as the park road may still be closed. There are some advantages to cruising in May if you are a birder (timing your trip with migration means more abundant and visible birdlife all along the route), but we had excellent marine mammal watching in both timeframes.

Archived