Fall Colors on New England cruises

swdke

If I were to take an autumn New England cruise, when is the best time to go for peak fall colors? I had read somewhere to consider going around Columbus Day. Any information is appreciated. Or, in general, when is the best time to go on a New England cruise? Thanks for your help.

If I were to take an autumn New England cruise, when is the best time to go for peak fall colors? I had read somewhere to consider going around Columbus Day. Any information is appreciated. Or, in general, when is the best time to go on a New England cruise? Thanks for your help.

The problem with fall colors is that each year they are on a different schedule! Usually the northern states (Vermont, Maine, NH) see the foliage turn colors sooner and then the southern states (NY, CT etc.). I'd suggest you book around late October. That said, I'd not recommend a cruise as a way of seeing fall colors. The best views are from hilltops and interiors not near the ocean. Consider a road trip?

The problem with fall colors is that each year they are on a different schedule! Usually the northern states (Vermont, Maine, NH) see the foliage turn colors sooner and then the southern states (NY, CT etc.). I'd suggest you book around late October. That said, I'd not recommend a cruise as a way of seeing fall colors. The best views are from hilltops and interiors not near the ocean. Consider a road trip?

Thank you for your reply. I agree, fall colors may not be too important when cruising the coastal cities. I just thought it could help me pick a week to go. In general, when is a good time for a New England/Canada cruise? Thank you.

For Maine (my part anyway - Bar Harbor area) usually Columbus weekend/week is about the right time. Portland, Maine should be a week later, and the northern part of Maine will be toward the 1st of October. Lower states will be in the end of October. We almost always have bare branches the end of October .... Halloween means winter coats and everyone so often snow (although it is usually rain). Jan

PS - Maine is called the "Pine Tree State" and is not known for great foliage at the coast ... you will see a lot of fir trees .... go inland to see the colors. (Although it is nice from Cadilac Mountain on Mt Desert (Bar Harbor area). Jan

I have done this cruise 3 times, and most of the time I have taken the last Carnival cruise of the year which is in the middle of October. We have seen some color along the coast, but most of it is still green. I understand you have to go inland to see the colors, which I've never done.

We did the cruise the middle of September and the weather was nice in the port cities then. I'd rather go on this cruise when I could walk around in shorts for the most part. My dad lives in Halifax and is often complaining about how cold it is in the middle of October. But, being from an area with a lot of fall colour, that isn't important to me, so if that is the reason for someone to take these cruises, then later is better.

For those considering a cruise that comes to Montreal or Quebec city the best weekend is usually Columbus day or the weekend after, it depends on the year.

In both cities there are many parks to see great colors without leaving the city.

Halloween means winter coats and everyone so often snow (although it is usually rain).

SNOW...SNOW....SAY IT AIN'T SO :eek:

After this last winter I just could not bear to see SNOW in October. :mad:

HOWEVER...since I will be on a cruise ship I might be able to survive ;)

aks368 - where are you from? I think it was a bad winter for just about everyone .... it came early for us and I thought it would never end!! But spring was actually a little earlier than usual ... the lilacs are almost gone now. Jan

Also be aware that if you are looking at a cruise around Columbus Day, that this day is Thanksgiving in Canada, and most things will be closed. If you have a port of call in Canada that day, there might be a few things open around the port itself, but not much else shopping wise.

Jan...I'm from Michigan. The snow started early and lasted into April. Lucky for us we had a caribbean cruise the very end of Feb and beginning of March and we could not get out of here fast enough. I like the seasons but not this winter. Our Spring came on nicely this year here too. Memorial weekend was pretty nice which is really rare. You can usually count on rain and cool but not this year :)

I am looking forward to seeing Bar Harbor this October. We leave on a NEw England cruise on 10/17. Hopefully we will have calm waters and dry weather. I can take cool but not rain....hasn't mother nature heard...THERE'S NO RAINING ON VACATION ;)

Have a great weekend!

Also be aware that if you are looking at a cruise around Columbus Day, that this day is Thanksgiving in Canada, and most things will be closed. If you have a port of call in Canada that day, there might be a few things open around the port itself, but not much else shopping wise.

Is your Thanksgiving Oct 12? I will be in Halifax that day. Will everything be closed or just shopping?

We took this cruise in 2007. We left Spt 29 and finished October 10. The further north we got the better the colours were and by the last two ports they were wonderful.

We also had a Canadian port on Canada's Thanksgiving and almost everything was open. Most of these communities know when the ships are in town and merchants, etc plan accordingly. It's also interesting to note that Thanksgiving, while a stat holiday, is not quite as big a deal in Canada as it is in the US. In addition. it's more loosely celebrated - some celebrate Sunday, while others celebrate Monday. Where I live in BC almost everythng is open at Thanksgiving.

Is your Thanksgiving Oct 12? I will be in Halifax that day. Will everything be closed or just shopping?

Yes, our Thanksgiving is always the second Monday in October, so it is the 12th this year. The port area in Halifax, which is likely the stuff somebody off the ship will want to see, will be open, but everything else will be closed. I don't imagine there is a big demand to go grocery shopping or stop in at Walmart anyway LOL. The plus side is the waterfront won't be busy with other tourists at that time of year, so it should be basically your shipmates and that's about it. Halifax is a government and military city, and while tourism is important to every city, it's not the bread and butter there to the point the city will be all open for business for a cruise ship. Plus, as I said, it's outside of tourist season, so some places might be shut down for the year by then anyway.

Archived