Traveling with Laptop

I have left mine out, and that does not PROVE it is safe. Just that I have not had a problem. Most of the time, I at least put it out of sight.

As to the time difference, I find that if I leave my computer on "home" time, it helps when opt to email, or do instant messenger with the office.

I brought mine on the Dream and the Jade . . . never locked it up. Like so many others here, I downloaded photos from the digital cameras every day. I also wrote a daily blog in the late evening, offline, and then sent it here to CC. To me, it was worth it to drag it along.

Ditto to most of the posts here....I take the laptop for any number of reasons:

• Keeping in touch with family/friends to let them know we are still alive & kicking (much cheaper than using cell phones or texting)
  • Downloading pics to laptop and later uploading to Webshots
  • Listening to music/watching movies (in-flight)
  • Catching up on latest news and weather in airport (pre-flight)
  • Ability to pick-up free WiFi in numerous ports from balcony or top deck and airports, so we never pay for internet onboard

However, I never use it for work-related activites...I am on vacation. In the past I have left it out in the open on one or two ships. That was until we discovered strangers in other people's cabin taking photos while the cabin steward had the doors open cleaning 4-6 cabins at the same time (insides & mini-suites with valuables in plain sight). Shame on those stewards.....

On the Gem, the laptops do fit in the safes, for all others we generally left it in a drawer or suitcase under the bed. We simply like to stay in touch when we are gone, even from paradise.:D

I have left mine out, and that does not PROVE it is safe. Just that I have not had a problem. Most of the time, I at least put it out of sight.

As to the time difference, I find that if I leave my computer on "home" time, it helps when opt to email, or do instant messenger with the office.

I will do that. I am more concerned about how timely my informaton will be. Will I be several hours behind my clients thus making my informaton irrelevant in some cases. Not a big deal. I do have somene to cover for me now days. If the Gem can accomodate laptops now, I will probably put it up. Why provide unnecessary temptations.

I'm astounded that people would leave an expensive item like a laptop out in full view. The cabin stewards aren't the only crew members who have access to your room.

It doesn't take very much effort to store the laptop in a place that is out of sight and would require a thief to rummage through your belongings to find it.

The laptop I use is our "vacation" one; its slow and old (8+yrs as laptops go):cool: Someone will be doing me a favor if they "borrow" it so I won't have to lug it back.

I do keep my "stuff" on encrypted USB flash drive(s) which is kept in the safe or on my person:)

Some day I'll get one of the new netbooks:o

I've taken mine on of last 3 cruises. It fit in the safe on the Jewel and Pearl but not on the Spirit.

I like to download pictures plus charge cell and Ipod. The first time I took it was because I had a class and other stuff that I needed to do.

Archived