Traveling with Laptop

Sure. I think lots of people travel with their laptops. I've brought mine on my two cruises. I like to download my digital pictures from my camera every night so that I have a duplicate copy in case the camera gets lost or the memory card stops working. I don't use it for much else while on the ship. But I use it in the airports on the way to/from the ship while killing time.

Depending on the ship and locations in the ship, you may or may not be able to link into the ship's internet via wifi (wireless). I've not had much success doing that. Technically it works.... but it's very slow and prone to disconnections. I rely on the ship's own internet lab computers for checking email and such (they are also slow and prone to disconnections, but not quite as bad). Either way, you way pay a lot for internet connectivity.

I usually put it away inside my empty suitcase or some place like that when I'm not in my cabin, just to reduce it's visibility for someone who might be tempted to steal it.

DFWguy is right about the connection being so slow. We used ours for games on the plane and shows. We really didn't use the internet on the ship; just downloaded pictures. We didn't bring ours on this last cruise and I did not miss the hassle at all. We did sign up for one of the internet packages and my husband cannot possibly go too long without being "connected". Nancy

Always travel with it.

Have left it out but sometimes will at least attempt to hide it to slow down the bad guys.

Some cabins will have Ethernet connection, some do not. Wireless available in public locations. Internet runs $.40 to $.75 per minute for slow connection. Same using their computers or yours, wireless or wired.

We use laptop to watch movie on the plane or whereever. We have music available. We upload pictures.

Does anyone bring their laptops with them while cruising?

What are the drawbacks? I know the laptop won't fit in the safe - do you leave it out in the open?

Daughter is debating on whether to bring her laptop for business reasons.[/quote

People should try to get in the vacation mode these days, spread time with family and friends. Leave the cell phones and computers at home.

Companies don't think twice of saying "bye" when they need to let you go.

• Administrators

What are the drawbacks? I know the laptop won't fit in the safe - do you leave it out in the open?

Daughter is debating on whether to bring her laptop for business reasons.

Yes, we do. We leave it out in the open onboard the ship (but we use a wire lock to secure it to the furniture -- that's not because ships are inherently more criminal than anywhere else -- we use the lock in hotels, etc. too, so we have one and use it).

We use it for internet access, email, watching DVDs, storing pictures from our cameras to free up memory, recharging our IPods, etc. It's part of the fun we have during vacations -- in Hawaii, we were able to use it to watch a DVD we bought at Volcanoes National Park -- that evening is one of my Hawaii highlights, and I still love to watch that video, because of the memories it brings back. We were all but asleep, but it was fascinating to learn about pahoehoe versus a'a lava, etc.

As DW said, Ive brought a laptop on all our cruises for all the reasons mentioned, plus when I write when inspired. We leave ours set up, but I don't pay for Internet access -- we're ON VACATION! :DThere are some cafes on the Island that offer free WiFi, for their customers; last year, I did see two guys sitting behind the Clocktower Mall in KW, I assume scamming it from someone inside. I haven't ever felt that compulsive. ;) Just to be safe, before you go, I'd make sure there is no personal info and you have passwords in place so that only you can access the computer.:cool:

I'm astounded that people would leave an expensive item like a laptop out in full view. The cabin stewards aren't the only crew members who have access to your room.

It doesn't take very much effort to store the laptop in a place that is out of sight and would require a thief to rummage through your belongings to find it.

I carry a small "netbook" computer that can actually fit in the safe. But, as others have noted, the internet connections on board are s-l-o-w (not to mention a bit pricey). It definitely helps if you have an "offline" email program (like Outlook/Outlook Express) so you can compose replies without burning up connection time. Or, compose messages with a word processing program (while offline) and then send them as "attachments."

I travel with a hardware (cable lock) & software (password-protected & encrypted hard drive) secured 3 1/2 lb. notebook pc whether on vacation or not, including cruising, as part of my carry-on items. It's saved us time & headaches while in transit & nearly stranded at airports, able to fast track flight schedules, rebook car rentals & alert hotels about changing plans, etc. and watch DVD's or refresh MP3 song selections, etc.

On the cruise, we use it to upload/transfer/backup digital images (photo & videos on DVD) and for USB port charging our phones and watch DVD's. With a 50 lb. checked luggage limit these days, it's a tradeoff that I'll make in ditching that extra pair of running or tennis shoes.

I never leave it in plain sights inside the stateroom & always shut it down and keep it in either an available drawer or cable-locked to the clothing closet or a locking suitcase. Not worried about the room steward taking it away as I doubt they'll risk their job & contract for it - but, they're known to pop & leave the cabin doors open as they clean & refill towels & linens, creating a crime of opportunity for anyone passing by the hallway to sneak in quickly, grab & run with it. Worst than that, it's the valuable info or the data and account #'s stored on those missing notebook or laptops that are truely costly to replace & refresh.

The newest generation of smartphones & BB are powerful but there are many features not easily accessible on it - so a portable pc (whether it's a heavier laptop, lighter notebook or newest 2+ lbs. ultralight, it will find a place on my checklist to take along for the trip.

Having said all that, it's MY cruise vacation and unless it's a matter of life & death, I will not use its internet capabilities including answering or checking emails for business reasons (exception being self-employed).

I always bring my laptop, and sometimes leave it out in the open. Sometimes I may put it in the case, but leave it on the floor and don't hide it.

When in the Med, the internet connection was slow, but I didn't think it was that bad (I ended up having some major connection problems, but turned out it was a problem with the laptop. Quickly got a new one when I got home :p).

I don't see what's wrong with using it while on vacation. In the 21st century it is simply a part of life & liesure. :D

I never leave home without my laptop. On cruises, it's just for movies, charging usb electronics, photos and the like; in areas where the internet doesn't cost an arm and a leg I've been known to kill time playing World of Warcraft. Nothing like a little questing to make a six hour layover zip by!! heh

As for hiding or locking it, I have used cable locks in hotel rooms, but on cruises I just shut it down and leave it on the desk. Yes, crewmembers do have access to my cabin, and I have absolutely no reason to believe they're thieves; in fact believe it's highly unlikely. I believe the crewmembers value their jobs, and there isn't a whole lot that will get you fired faster than thievery.

Thanks for all your input. My daughters booked this cruise last month as a Mother's Day gift. They needed to put in for vacation days since this was not originally in their vacation plans. I agree with the poster that says vacation is vacation but sometimes projects need to be checked on .......boss was good enough to say sure no problem take the days even though things are due and it is an extremely busy time. My daughter has a great work ethic and I don't mind her having to check in with work to make sure all is well.

Daughter is debating on whether to bring her laptop for business reasons.

I always take a laptop when cursing. I am not concerned with theft while on the ship, but I am more concerned with something being spilled on it so I tend to put it out of the way.

I always bring mine. I just bought one of those tiny Asus netbooks for $200. It's got about 40 hrs. of music on it and I use it as a backup for my digital camera, for checking email and as a music player.

Always leave the laptop laying out on the desk and never had it stolen. I'm not worried about it either.

Always take mine to download pictures to daily.... Last cruise left it out all the time, on other I have put it into a carrier, other times just stuck it into the closet, Thief has never entered my mind, just tiding up a bit by putting it up, or leave it out and watch a slide show of day's pictures ~~!!~~

I have always taken my laptop. In fact it is the only way I can cruise so often. I answer my clients questions over coffee in the morning an then off I go. And for those that like to chastise others for "staying in touch", many of us have elderly relatives or teenage children that we want to check in with.

I'd rather work an hour a day and contunue to cruise. Besides my boss puts money in my OBC account as a perk!

This year will be tricky because we are in Europe and i don't have a good handle on the time differences. I'll cross that bridge when I get closer to it.:)

Lastly, I have never put my laptop away on the ship. This time around I will be a little more careful while in Barcelona but the ship seems pretty secure to me.

Archived