Barcelona to Venice on Ruby...Port or Starboard? Anyone?

Olwyn

HI Everyone!

This is always a tough question, and as a rule, I always think that the 'port' side will be on the 'port' side if you know what I mean! :D

Has anyone done this itinerary, and knows which side was best for port viewing?? We are on Starboard side with balconies for the moment at least. Sailing on the Ruby Princess September 1st.

Thanks so much!

Olwyn

:)

We did this same cruise on Celebrity & from what I remember the "port" side changed several times during the trip. This cruise was so port intensive that it really didn't matter as we were off the ship early every day. We booked private tours as the ship excursions were too expensive. Good luck :)

Jan in Michigan

You can never tell which way the ship will dock---or even which "slip" a ship might use! The side facing port could have another ship right beside....giving you a great view of someone else's balcony!

Don't worry about the side of the ship you'll be on...it won't matter one whit!

We had a cabin on the Starboard side of the Emerald when we did this cruise last year. While docked in Istanbul the starboard side of the ship had a good view of the harbor and the Blue Mosque. When Sailing into Venice, the Starboard side of the ship faces that incredible city. You made a good choice.

49er

Thanks so much everyone...I won't panic about trying to change sides now then! I remember years back...on the Grand, sailing into Venice the Starboard side faced shore...it was glorious. When we sailed out..."A time to say goodbye" was playing on the ships speakers...Andre Bottceli and Sarah Brightman...unforgettable.

Thanks again!

Olwyn:)

Thanks so much everyone...I won't panic about trying to change sides now then! I remember years back...on the Grand, sailing into Venice the Starboard side faced shore...it was glorious. When we sailed out..."A time to say goodbye" was playing on the ships speakers...Andre Bottceli and Sarah Brightman...unforgettable.

Thanks again!

Olwyn:)

Yes, the most FAB cruise experience there is, IMHO!! But much more glorious on one of the top decks where you can see what's coming at you from both sides of the ship and also hear the music in all its glory!! Again, in my opinion!!

I think there is only one way to go into Venice, and there is nothing more glorious. You would want to be on the starboard side.

If you are a non smoker, it seems also that there is less smoking on the starboard side.

I think there is only one way to go into Venice, and there is nothing more glorious. You would want to be on the starboard side.

If you are a non smoker, it seems also that there is less smoking on the starboard side.

We usually book Port, but we have 5 cruises booked on the Ruby next year and this time they are all Starboard.

As for smokers, the only place you are guaranteed that smokers won't be on the starboard side is on the outside decks or near the pool/food area.

Here's a tough question, if faced with a choice of a port side forward cabin or starboard aft cabin D733 (the one with the large balcony) and are sailing out of Venice on the Grand Mediterranean cruise, which one would you choose??????

Pros would be the huge balcony

Cons would be it might be very windy, back of the ship (if that is a con) and no view of the good side of Venice as you sail out (I think).

For the breif time it will take to sail out of Venice, you can always find some place to be on the common area open decks. So I would weigh that against having the larger balcony the ENTIRE cruise. You might also look at the rest of the itinerary and figure out which side might be facing the coast line the majority of the time. Again only if this is important to you to see the coast, otherwise I'd take the sq footage.

That's the other consideration, it seems going from Venice to Barcelona, port side is better for leaving Venice and also for sunsets as I read another post from someone on this itinerary in reverse from Barcelona to Venice that the sunsets were nicer on the starboard side for most of the cruise. Since we will be off the ship during the days, I imagine relaxing on the balcony and watching the sunset will be important so we are inclined to stay portside, but the big balcony and the open vista is still very tempting.

I am surprised these cabins are available. I suppose with final payment a few days away someone probably booked this and the two Emerald deck ones very early and decided to cancel.

Archived