Warning To All Who Are Checking In Luggage!

holstang

I apologize if this has been posted before, but something like this is important to know about! I just wanted to inform you all about some info I received from our baggage handler a couple weeks ago. While we were checking our bags in, our handler told us to make sure to put on your tags the following information ONLY:

Your Name

Sail Date

Cabin Number

Ship Name

Apparently some of the shadier handlers will use information on your luggage tags such as your address and phone number to rob you while you are on vacation!

He said there was a poor old lady that would come to the port every Sunday to protest, because Carnival said they were not responsible, and they cleaned her out! Just wanted to pass this information on, because it's so important! Needless to say, we spent an extra 10 minutes making sure we took off all of this info from our bags- even the hidden ones that come with our luggage. If this helps one person, it worth it!

He said there was a poor old lady that would come to the port every Sunday to protest, because Carnival said they were not responsible, and they cleaned her out!

Would like to know how she figured it was a port authority luggage handlers that cleaned her out.

Fred

Don't know the validity of the particular situation but this is not uncommon with airport baggage handlers in your home city. They have your name and address and figure the place will be empty. Sometimes the info is just sold by the baggage handler of "possible' targets.

I never put a home address or full name on mine - use an alternate like a business on them.

The only personal info I ever put on luggage tags is my phone number, and it is the cell phone I have with me. Of course, this is more a precaution against the airport luggage handlers. Not too worried about the dockworkers tracking me down. A looong way from FL to UT.

So, instead of putting the needed information, what would you suggest. Sorry but I refuse to worry about things like that but its good information to know.

Last name only, cell number, business address.

LOL! My house sitter will meet them at the door:p

Seriously......people can get info from the post office because you stopped your mail, people can get info from your newspaper subscription that you stopped your paper.......oh and let's not forget you called your cc company and told them you will be on vacation out of the country:D

Since I live in a port city and I'm sure many others who cruise live near one, you can never be too safe. Just thought I would post for general information- there's no need to pick it apart.

You know, this never even occurred to me. I'll be checking my luggage before we leave and make sure to just use business cards. If they'd like to come rob my office, they're more than welcome to try and get past security, figure out how to get the elevator to work without a keycard and then figure out how to get on one of the floors without said keycard. I have a feeling these particular thieves aren't quite that technologically advanced :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously......people can get info from the post office because you stopped your mail, people can get info from your newspaper subscription that you stopped your paper.......oh and let's not forget you called your cc company and told them you will be on vacation out of the country:D

Same with my kids....oh, and the 22 year old is a pretty good shot :eek:;)

What do you do when you are traveling and they require that information, your name, address and phone number. Amtrak requires it to be on your luggage, if not then they give you tags to fill out and they put them on, but at least with the Amtrak Station that I use, your luggage can still be seen until it is put on the train. Maybe I can take them off before I go to the port.

I use my business card in the windowed ID tag on my luggage. As someone before me said, they are more than welcome to call or visit my office . . . though as a criminal defense attorney . . . I doubt anyone would bother to call or visit (unless they needed my counsel).

I apologize if this has been posted before, but something like this is important to know about! I just wanted to inform you all about some info I received from our baggage handler a couple weeks ago. While we were checking our bags in, our handler told us to make sure to put on your tags the following information ONLY:

Your Name

Sail Date

Cabin Number

Ship Name

Apparently some of the shadier handlers will use information on your luggage tags such as your address and phone number to rob you while you are on vacation!

He said there was a poor old lady that would come to the port every Sunday to protest, because Carnival said they were not responsible, and they cleaned her out! Just wanted to pass this information on, because it's so important! Needless to say, we spent an extra 10 minutes making sure we took off all of this info from our bags- even the hidden ones that come with our luggage. If this helps one person, it worth it!

Thank you for passing this information along. It is much appreciated.

Those "shady handlers" are class A seniority union Longshoreman. They spent many years to earn that A badge. I seriously doubt they'd risk loosing it all to "clean someone out." Sounds like your guy was making conversation for a better tip.

JMHO...

I'll keep that in mind when filling out my tags. Fortunately, my house will be occupied by people & noisy dogs. We don't ever stop our mail - always have someone pick it up if no one is at the house.

The sad part is it's not just baggage handlers - there are also crooks that read the obituaries in the paper and plan to hit the houses during the funeral or visitation hours figuring no one will be home. :mad: There should be a special corner in h*ll for those people.

I can remember when my grandfather passed away my family making arrangements for a friend to "housesit" during the visitation and funeral as there had been an outbreak of those type robberies at the time.

I figure that while chances are slim of a baggage handler doing this, better safe than sorry and it's easy enough to just use my business address on the tags. If they want to go try and rob a bank while I'm gone they can feel free. :p

I actually carry 2 sets of homemade tags with me....one for outbound and one for the return.

Outbound.......Last Name, destination address and cell

Return...a tough one ...last name and cell phone

This is no big deal to change the tags..use zip ties and reinforce the home made tags with clear contact.

btw, I have done this many times because, having a criminal mind myself, but still being a law abiding citizen, I suspected this tactic.

and anyone that would never have thought of this tactic...now knows.....good folks as well as bad folks:(

I use my business cards and if they can get on to the military base - I a sure the MPs would just have fun with them,:D since it takes a key card to get into the office

exactly my thought.....so we never stop the mail or newspaper as we have great neighbors and we make sure to try an leave 1 or 2 cars in the driveway...and....leave the yard slightly messy.....sneakers and a wet towel on the front porch....bicycles in the backyard.

and yes, we booby trap the place too!

Your Name

Sail Date

Cabin Number

Ship Name

Been doing that for years.. Never an address.. Only last name, Cell Phone #, Ship and Cabin # sail date..

You know, this never even occurred to me. I'll be checking my luggage before we leave and make sure to just use business cards. If they'd like to come rob my office, they're more than welcome to try and get past security, figure out how to get the elevator to work without a keycard and then figure out how to get on one of the floors without said keycard. I have a feeling these particular thieves aren't quite that technologically advanced :)

Thanks for the heads up.

NOt to change the subject, but CruisFan I love your avitar!!!:)

Archived