Rennaisance Newark Hotel Pre & Post cruise

sandian

Hi All

Just a couple of ? We are staying at the Rennaisance Newark Hotel Pre cruise but comming in too late to do any sightseeing. Post cruise our flight leaves 19.10 in the evening, will this give us some time to sightsee in NY? We have a dayroom for luggage. This is an Air Cruise package from Britain. Also is there any thoughts on this Hotel?

Thanks for any help

Sandra

Hi Sandian,

I've looked at the reviews of the Renaissance and it seems to be fairly typical of a Newark 3.5* hotel. Having said that, it's an airport hotel and the location will be isolated. You will be a captive of the hotel for meals unless you make plans to take a cab somewhere for dinner. The hotel web site had listing for several restaurants in the Newark area. Be aware that Newark is a very urban area - you would want to stick with cabs and airport transportation.

Could you provide us with more details about what is included in your air cruise package, particularly the transportation back to the "day room". In order to get a maximum day in NY, you will have to spend some extra money. Explorer docks very early on Friday morning and it would be possible to sign up to self disembark and take a cab to drop off your luggage and go to Newark Penn Station to catch a train to NY. You would return the same way - train from New York Penn Station (unless you are in downtown Manhattan - we can deal with that later) to Newark Penn Station ($4/pp) and a cab back to the hotel for your luggage (about $25). You can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, but you might want to keep the cab and have them drop you off right at the terminal. The shuttle would drop you off at P4 and you would have to take the airtrain to the terminal - it's all free but time consuming and you have to handle your luggage. http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/around_newark.html. There are other transportation alternatives to NY, but I would not recommend them on a Friday. You do not want to be taking ground transportation out of NY on a Friday afternoon.

Hi Sandian,

I've looked at the reviews of the Renaissance and it seems to be fairly typical of a Newark 3.5* hotel. Having said that, it's an airport hotel and the location will be isolated. You will be a captive of the hotel for meals unless you make plans to take a cab somewhere for dinner. The hotel web site had listing for several restaurants in the Newark area. Be aware that Newark is a very urban area - you would want to stick with cabs and airport transportation.

Could you provide us with more details about what is included in your air cruise package, particularly the transportation back to the "day room". In order to get a maximum day in NY, you will have to spend some extra money. Explorer docks very early on Friday morning and it would be possible to sign up to self disembark and take a cab to drop off your luggage and go to Newark Penn Station to catch a train to NY. You would return the same way - train from New York Penn Station (unless you are in downtown Manhattan - we can deal with that later) to Newark Penn Station ($4/pp) and a cab back to the hotel for your luggage (about $25). You can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, but you might want to keep the cab and have them drop you off right at the terminal. The shuttle would drop you off at P4 and you would have to take the airtrain to the terminal - it's all free but time consuming and you have to handle your luggage. http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/around_newark.html. There are other transportation alternatives to NY, but I would not recommend them on a Friday. You do not want to be taking ground transportation out of NY on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks for all the info, arriving 4.10pm on the 6th of March for cruise on the seventh so not much time to do anything. Did think about Taxi from hotel to Manhattan and back but this does cost. self disembark is an option but adds to the cost of taxi fares. Should be back at Hotel by 11.00am. Which would mean into Manhattan for 12.00. Figured 3 hours then back to hotel for luggage. Its going to be tight unless we take the self disembark option, otherwise just have to stay put

Thanks for all the info, arriving 4.10pm on the 6th of March for cruise on the seventh so not much time to do anything. Did think about Taxi from hotel to Manhattan and back but this does cost. self disembark is an option but adds to the cost of taxi fares. Should be back at Hotel by 11.00am. Which would mean into Manhattan for 12.00. Figured 3 hours then back to hotel for luggage. Its going to be tight unless we take the self disembark option, otherwise just have to stay put

Actually, I think that is a lot of time to sightsee. Since you are not coming in on a redeye, you should have some energy after being cooped up on an airliner for eight hours.

Is there anyway you can cancel your Newark hotel room and priceline a Manhattan hotel room? Newark is an easy towncar or cab ride (it is only a couple dollars more than the Airtrain for two people), you can throw your luggage in the room and still have quite a bit of time to sightsee.

It would be easier to sightsee before the cruise than afterwards. Also by staying in Manhattan you'll have all morning to sightsee before your board your ship.

In my opinion, it is just a little less hassle for not much more money. Hotel prices in Manhattan have really dropped.

Also, Newark/Elizabeth is just so...yucky.

I get the impression that the hotel and the cruise transfers are already included in your air cruise package. The problem with trying to go into NY the night before the cruise is that you will be dead tired because of the time change - falling asleep by 8:00 pm and up at 4 am.

If you go into NY when you disembark, I don't think you will be spending a lot more money by taking cabs. You should price this out with a car service to find out how much they would charge to pick you up at the pier, take you to the hotel for luggage drop off, and then on to Newark Penn Station. The reason I suggest a cab to Newark Penn Station instead of taking the train from the airport is that the costs are very similar. However, in order to get the train from the airport, you must take the hotel shuttle to P4, take the monorail to Newark Airport Station, and then the train to NY. I think it's faster to take a cab to Newark Penn Station and then the train to NY.

1) Early disembarkation - off the ship by 8-8:30 am

Cab to hotel and station $60

Train to NY 8

Train to Newark 8

Cab to hotel 25

2) Regular disembarkation - off the ship by 10 am

Train to NY from the airport $30

Train back to the airport $30

Since you are not US citizens, you will have to be in the longer immigration lines, so the earlier you get off the ship, the better. I'm not convinced that if you are traveling with a group, you will be at the hotel by 11. They know you are not flying out until the evening, so there is no incentive for them to make a speedy transfer for you. It would be nice if someone from the UK could comment on this.

I get the impression that the hotel and the cruise transfers are already included in your air cruise package. The problem with trying to go into NY the night before the cruise is that you will be dead tired because of the time change - falling asleep by 8:00 pm and up at 4 am.

If you go into NY when you disembark, I don't think you will be spending a lot more money by taking cabs. You should price this out with a car service to find out how much they would charge to pick you up at the pier, take you to the hotel for luggage drop off, and then on to Newark Penn Station. The reason I suggest a cab to Newark Penn Station instead of taking the train from the airport is that the costs are very similar. However, in order to get the train from the airport, you must take the hotel shuttle to P4, take the monorail to Newark Airport Station, and then the train to NY. I think it's faster to take a cab to Newark Penn Station and then the train to NY.

1) Early disembarkation - off the ship by 8-8:30 am

Cab to hotel and station $60

Train to NY 8

Train to Newark 8

Cab to hotel 25

2) Regular disembarkation - off the ship by 10 am

Train to NY from the airport $30

Train back to the airport $30

Since you are not US citizens, you will have to be in the longer immigration lines, so the earlier you get off the ship, the better. I'm not convinced that if you are traveling with a group, you will be at the hotel by 11. They know you are not flying out until the evening, so there is no incentive for them to make a speedy transfer for you. It would be nice if someone from the UK could comment on this.

We had a comment on arrival at hotel from the UK thats how I know the 11.00am time. Will take all your thoughts on board as we wouldd dearly love to see something of NY.

Thanks for all prices most helpful

Sandra

If you read the reviews of this hotel on trip advisor it mentions that there is an outlet mall near the airport, think shopping! Also it seems the hotel shuttle will drop you off and pick you up at a local Denny's to save having to eat in the hotel. Someone also mentioned a fast bus from the airport into the city taking 20 minutes.

If you read the reviews of this hotel on trip advisor it mentions that there is an outlet mall near the airport, think shopping! Also it seems the hotel shuttle will drop you off and pick you up at a local Denny's to save having to eat in the hotel. Someone also mentioned a fast bus from the airport into the city taking 20 minutes.

Thanks for that info that bus sounds great, already planning on Gersey gardens for first night. Thanks again

Sandra

Archived