passport requirements

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

my ta says they have extended the date on passports has anyone else heard this i tried to search for any info but everything i found still says june 1 thanks in advance for the help

Nothing is changing for Caribbean cruises. There is no need to panic.

My son just turned 16, and only has a drivers permit. Would a school ID be good enough with his birth cert.?

His permit is "government issued", the school is NOT "government issued".

Permit is what you need to use. Thats what my DS16 used

Just got off the Fascination on June 4th, and the customs agent never once looked at are ID or BC. All he wanted to see was are declaration paper we filled out.

On the debarkation meeting on the last day, the CD stated all cruisers will need a PP after June 1st, 2009. I so wanted to correct him, but I let it go:D. Guess the closed loop exception hasn't made it to the CD's yet:p.

His permit is "government issued", the school is NOT "government issued".

Permit is what you need to use. Thats what my DS16 used

Just got off the Fascination on June 4th, and the customs agent never once looked at are ID or BC. All he wanted to see was are declaration paper we filled out.

On the debarkation meeting on the last day, the CD stated all cruisers will need a PP after June 1st, 2009. I so wanted to correct him, but I let it go:D. Guess the closed loop exception hasn't made it to the CD's yet:p.

Does your son's permit have his picture on it? My grandson, 16, has a permit but it doesn't have a picture on it.

Does your son's permit have his picture on it? My grandson, 16, has a permit but it doesn't have a picture on it.

Sure did have a pic. That's weird that your grandsons's does not have a pic on it. But the ID has to be government issued. I guess your Grandson could go to the county office and get a non-permit government ID with a pic on it(if they do it).

The ID MUST be government issued. I don't believe the school ID would qualify, but who really knows.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Link for this quote:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf if you do not have adobe reader pdf, it wont work.

Passports are HIGHLY recommended. You may be able to sail without one but if you had an emergency and had to fly home from one of the ports you would have a definate problem.

If the cruise that returned on June 4 left before the 1st the rules were still the old rules.

Why not get a passport, they're good for 10 years over 16 and so much easier to travel with.

We only decided to do this cruise last week. We do not have time to get them passports. My husband and I have passports. My grandson lives in Texas, I do not know why they don't have pictures on their permits. It would make sense to do that but they didn't ask my opinion. Probably a cost factor because they can get a permit when they are 15 so figure most will have them at least 6 months.

I asked about photo ids and several people said they used their school ids with no problem. On the Carnival site it says "official id". So who knows.

We only decided to do this cruise last week. We do not have time to get them passports. My husband and I have passports. My grandson lives in Texas, I do not know why they don't have pictures on their permits. It would make sense to do that but they didn't ask my opinion. Probably a cost factor because they can get a permit when they are 15 so figure most will have them at least 6 months.

I asked about photo ids and several people said they used their school ids with no problem. On the Carnival site it says "official id". So who knows.

I would call Carnival and ask, but you will probably get a different answer every time you call. Customs never looked at our BC and DL or are DD19 PP. All he wanted to see was the declaration paper.

My son just turned 16, and only has a drivers permit. Would a school ID be good enough with his birth cert.?

I've seen it done, but just to be on the safe side, you might want to drag him to the DMV and get the non-driver's state issued ID. The DMV can issue it in minutes. He'll have to turn it over when he eventually gets his license.

Passports are HIGHLY recommended. You may be able to sail without one but if you had an emergency and had to fly home from one of the ports you would have a definate problem.

If the cruise that returned on June 4 left before the 1st the rules were still the old rules.

Why not get a passport, they're good for 10 years over 16 and so much easier to travel with.

You might be right, but the rules are about when you return to the US. Not when you left. Either way, my BC and DL were good enough before and after June 1st. They never checked them anyways. I might have a problem flying back, but I would get back. Might take a few more hours than you, but it would happen. It's a chance I willing to take understanding there are some risk(small as they are).

I would call Carnival and ask them about his permit. I know here in the State of Oregon the persons picture is not on the permit. But I know that Carnival would tell you what to bring.

Also the only time I have ever been asked about a passport or proof of citizenship is when I got onboard, not when we got off.

I would call Carnival and ask them about his permit. I know here in the State of Oregon the persons picture is not on the permit. But I know that Carnival would tell you what to bring.

Also the only time I have ever been asked about a passport or proof of citizenship is when I got onboard, not when we got off.

The first cruise I was on in 2006 the agent looked at the BC for about 10 secs then sent us thru. This past cruise(2009), they didn't look at anything. Just said welcome back to the US.

I would call Carnival and ask, but you will probably get a different answer every time you call. Customs never looked at our BC and DL or are DD19 PP. All he wanted to see was the declaration paper.

That is exactly what happened, I talked to two different people and got two different answers. One said the birth certificate would be enough, the other said govt issued photo id. We are going with what we have, and hope it is enough. My father-in-law got on an NCL cruise with his birth certificate and a photo id from Sam's Club and had no problem. We have always showed our passports when coming back through customs and they usually just glance at them.

my son turned 16 in april--we don't have passports and his drivers permit DOES NOT have picture on it. in pennsylvania our drivers permit is a paper ---no photo until license. where you get you photo license taken they do id--probably for people who need photo but don't drive. it was $15 AND GOT IT IN A WEEK.

It may be a closd loop cruise, but the kicker is you WILL be going to a foreign port that may ask you for a passport. It is highly unlikey to be asked, but in the case of medical emergency or missing the ship, a passport is essential.

You see it everywhere, trying to save money by not getting it. All nations around the world now require a passport to get in/out, so do what everyone else is doing, get the passport..

I am Canadian, and two years ago the crunch was on and most Canadians had to get it because to fly to the US we needed a passport (but you could still get into Canada with a driver/BC--funny/discriminatory isnt't it). Those that do not have it now are getting it because to go through a ground level border crossing you need a passport to get in/out.

We are planning on booking a 5 days to Eastern Caribbean departing from Miami, FL

on the Carnival Destiny. Its ports include Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and the Bahamas.

Do we need to get passports? If so how long does it take?

No, you will not need passports.

If you were to try and get them, it is taking between 2 and 6 weeks.

It may be a closd loop cruise, but the kicker is you WILL be going to a foreign port that may ask you for a passport. It is highly unlikey to be asked, but in the case of medical emergency or missing the ship, a passport is essential.

You see it everywhere, trying to save money by not getting it. All nations around the world now require a passport to get in/out, so do what everyone else is doing, get the passport..

I am Canadian, and two years ago the crunch was on and most Canadians had to get it because to fly to the US we needed a passport (but you could still get into Canada with a driver/BC--funny/discriminatory isnt't it). Those that do not have it now are getting it because to go through a ground level border crossing you need a passport to get in/out.

I also believe that a Passport is essential. I honestly believe it is very foolish to leave the US and to to a foreign country w/o a Passport. I do not understand why people want to wait. I guess it is about the money. I think it is such a risk to travel w/o a Passport.

Sure did have a pic. That's weird that your grandsons's does not have a pic on it. But the ID has to be government issued. I guess your Grandson could go to the county office and get a non-permit government ID with a pic on it(if they do it).

The ID MUST be government issued. I don't believe the school ID would qualify, but who really knows.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Link for this quote:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf if you do not have adobe reader pdf, it wont work.

my son turned 16 in april--we don't have passports and his drivers permit DOES NOT have picture on it. in pennsylvania our drivers permit is a paper ---no photo until license. where you get you photo license taken they do id--probably for people who need photo but don't drive. it was $15 AND GOT IT IN A WEEK.

We are in Pa. too, and the permits are paper. I think I am going to have to get him a state ID.

Caribbean islands do not require cruise ship visitors to have passports.

Archived