ISO a good travel purse

I don't bring too much money or all of my credit cards, so I don't worry too much about my purse being "slashed"! I just bring something small--(I don't want to end up being the "pack mule" that can happen when you bring something too large---your entire party will be saying, "Put this in your purse"...)

I bet you already have something suitable, without spending money on a special purse!

I use the REI Mini Sling:

http://www.rei.com/product/763430

Sling can be switched from side to side, many are fixed.

Has phone spot on the strap, a "must have" feature for me

Has seperate water bottle pocket that zips closed when not in use

Gender neutral color, in case someone other than ME wants to carry it for awhile :)

Occasionally, the off colors go on sale, I purchased one in marroon in the after christmas clearance, loaned to my sister and she fell in love with it, too, and didn't return it.

I carry change of clothes for my preschooler, water, camera, snacks, wipes, all kinds of small odds and ends, travel documents, otc meds in travel sizes, and there is still room in the main compartment for souveniers, or sometimes if it is raining I carry a hand towel, etc.

I've carried this bag for a few years but thinking I need to upgrade to a larger backpack for our alaska trip so I have room for 3 raincoats and fleece jackets. Not that I WANT to lug all that around, but this is our first stroller free trip so we won't have the stroller to stash coats in anymore. :(

Someone gave me one of these Coach bags as a gift. I have gotten so much use out of it. It's perfect for a camera, money & ccs, a phone, lipgloss, and some other stuff. I take it to football/baseball games, the last cruise, other trips, to the store. I would never have bought it for myself, but I love it. If you can find something similar--or like one of these!-- I would highly recommend it!

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/SearchResultsView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&quickOrder=yes&searchKeyword=swingpack&cacheKeyword=SWINGPACK

I think a Longchamp Le Pliage bag is a great bag for traveling. They're lightweight and foldable, come in different sizes and can be worn as a shoulder bag (they also make backpack styles), zip at top and are waterproof. Et voila! They're not too expensive, either... for a fashionable bag.;) I always get stuck with the camera and water bottle!

Try Eagle Creek for bags also. I have a small bag that I love for travel, and everyday, that holds all the essentials yet is light and small. It's big enough for a small camera and a few other sundries, has zippered pockets and various storage areas. They have a variety of different styles. They don't make the exact one I use anymore (I'm on my second one) but the one shown below is very similar. (sorry, I tried to post a link but don't know how--Aack!)--it's called the Hip Check and the information is below. They have lots of other travel gear also.

Collections Bags & Luggage Accessories About Us Travel Insights Find a Retailer

Home | Travel Accessories | Pouches and Waistpacks | Hip Check Drifter

Eyewear Case

Hip Check

Passage Wallet Priority Pouch

Scout

Sidekick

Simple Pouch Wayside

Enlarge View

Black Del Mar Palm

Sienna

Item # 40446 MSRP: $30.00

Email to a friend

WARRANTY Hip CheckFeaturesPerfect ForBuy NowOrganized for credit cards, passport, I.D. receipts, etc.

Interior Security Vault keeps currency and passport concealed

Gusseted opening for lipstick and keys

Removable shoulder strap for two-way use as a wallet or slim shoulder pouch

Safety Tether allows wallet to be attached to a belt loop or interior of another bag

The Hip Check is a super organized, slim shoulder pouch that’s perfect for someone who wants versatility: drop it in another bag or carry it alone.

United States

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada Intl Europe Intl

Capacity: 90 cu in / 1.5 L

Dimensions: 8 x 5.5 x 2in / 20 x 14 x 5 cm

Weight: 8 oz / 0.23 kg

Fabric: 210D Helix™ Box Ripstop Nylon, 420D Nylon Shadow

Add a Product ReviewProduct Comparison

Product Registration Warranty Information Customer Service Media Center

©2009 Eagle Creek | Find a Retailer | Legal/Privacy | Sitemap | Brochure/Catalog | Employment | Eagle Creek Insider » Deviate

Unscripted Travel

» Exploration System

World travel gear.

» Centerline

Light-weight, casual travel.

» Velocity

Smart. Professional. Travel.Packing Solutions

» Folders

» Cubes

» Sacs

» Toiletry Kits

» Compression Sacs

» Gear Packing

Travel Accessories

» NEW - Just Landed

» Security and ID

» Travel Necessities

» Travel Comfort

» Pouches and Waistpacks

» Wallets

» Women's Accessories

» Toiletry Kits

» Packing Solutions

» Converters and AdaptersTravel Gear

» Lightweight Carry-Ons

» Wheeled Luggage

» Duffels and Gear Bags

» Adventure Travel Packs

» Companion & Daybags

» Backpacks

» NEW - Just Landed

Everyday Bags

» Laptop Solutions

» Everyday Backpacks

» Shoulder Bags

» Business Bags

» Women's Bags» Design Philosophy

Designed to make travel easier with travel gear that lasts a lifetime.

» Creekers' Favorite Gear

Learn what the folks at Eagle Creek use on their adventures.

» Lifetime Guarantee

All Eagle Creek gear is backed by a Lifetime Guarantee.

» Contact Us

Need to get in touch?

» Our Partners

Eagle Creek is proud to partner with these organizationsTools

» Outfit Me

» Global Electricity Guide

» Pack-It® Video

Tips

» Consumer Reviews

» Photo Submission

» Travel Tips

» Traveler's Checklist

I think it depends on the need for the purse. If you want one only for shopping, just about any small cross body purse will do. If you want one for beach use, it will have to be larger to accomodate essentials such as a bottle of sunscreen and probably water.

I have several cross body purses of different sizes. Some of the brands I have are Hobo, Baggalini, Kipling, Fossil, Brighton etc... There are small cross body bags in every price point and fabric you can imagine, from fine leather to canvas fabric.

For travel my favorite is micro-fiber or nylon simply because of the weight factor. However, a small leather bag isn't going to weigh much and always looks great.

I prefer to buy handbags in person unless I know the brand well. Just like with clothing or shoes, it's so hard to tell from a picture whether or not you will like an item. Any mall department store will have an assortment of small bags, if you want to save money, even places like Target or Kohls will have something to choose from.

My mom likes the "Around Town Bagg" from Baggallini, she had the Baggalini Sling before and it was too big for her needs, but the Around Town is perfect, small enough that she doesn't get weighed down, and most importantly for her, one of the side pockets is big enough for her Blackberry - it is hard to find bags with phone pouches big enough to hold a Blackberry.

Another option for a sling style, I once owned a Ful Peabody Mini Sling and while it was too small for my needs at the time with my youngest still in dipers, I thought it was a great quality bag for a really reasonable price and the pink was a nice diversion from the usual black travel style bags, kwim?

I posted above that I carry the REI Mini Sling, and one of my other top choices was the Overland Equiptment 'Luna Sling', and since I did my search another similar sized sling has made its way to the market, the Patagonia Atom, in some really cute colors.

One thing I like about ebags is that there are often pictures of the bag being worn, so you get an idea of the size. Another place I like to shop is REI.com because under "specs" they give you the size in cubic inches, giving you a very good idea of how the size of various bags compare.

My camera won't fit in any of those - it's a DSLR, so I use messenger bags in different sizes. I have my hands free, have room for a couple of camera bodies, lenses, extra batteries and water. Small purchases fit in there as well. I realize my bag needs are different than most, but I just put my change purse in a secure compartment of my bag and off I go.

Archived