Giving away personal items?

GreenZolie

I've only been on the one cruise (last month, Ecstasy) but I noticed something I have never encountered before, including my reaction to it, and I wondered if anyone else has noticed this "phenomenon" while cruising.

On 3 occasions during my cruise, a staff member complimented some item I was wearing or holding, and I felt a compelling urge to give said item to them! Weird reaction from me! I have never felt that kind of urge before, when someone complimented me on something. My guess is that my overall good mood created a magnanimous feeling, causing me to want to share.

The first time was when we were entering the port building before boarding and the woman ushering us through the doorway to the right line went gaga over my earrings. They are handmade dicrotic glass earrings that I purchased at a craft show. I instantly wanted to give them to her, and I actually reached up my hand to pull one out - and then I remembered they were one of a kind that matched my outfit perfectly, and I didn't want to give them up, so I came to my senses. I wondered if she realized I was about to give them to her?! :o

The second time was when I was at the spa counter about to go in for my massage, and the young woman at the counter complimented my hat, saying it was the same color as her favorite tee shirt. It's a newsboy hat, a style I wear often and have in many colors, including the turquoise color I was wearing that day, which I bought specifically to wear with my bathing suit. Again, I was compelled to give it to her, but this time I just thanked her and went on.

The third time I actually gave up the item, lol. It was the last night, and I was buying the studio pictures. The young man taking my money said he liked the rubber spring thing I had around my wrist, holding my S&S card, and actually asked me to give it to him! This was one I had purchased just before the cruise, that I really liked because it was clear, so would not clash with everything, and it was small, just perfect for my narrow wrist, which I prefer to use, rather than a long one hanging around my neck.

I told him he could get one at Wal-Mart, and he grinned and said he doesn't get to Wal-Mart very often, and I realized that is probably true -since he is on the boat for so long! So I gave it to him, since it was my last night and I knew I could get another one easier than he could.

So, has anyone else had staff or other passengers compliment your goods, and you ended up giving them away?! :)

Not exactly the same but I have been asked twice to leave behind my over the door shoe hanger that I bring for my bathroom stuff. The two that asked didn't really ask me they just said if I was going to throw it out would I mind leaving it for them. I was glad to leave them behind since I only paid a few bucks for them :)

So, has anyone else had staff or other passengers compliment your goods, and you ended up giving them away?! :)

GreenZolie,

Nope. Interesting compulsion you have though. :)

I've only been on the one cruise (last month, Ecstasy) but I noticed something I have never encountered before, including my reaction to it, and I wondered if anyone else has noticed this "phenomenon" while cruising.

On 3 occasions during my cruise, a staff member complimented some item I was wearing or holding, and I felt a compelling urge to give said item to them! Weird reaction from me! I have never felt that kind of urge before, when someone complimented me on something. My guess is that my overall good mood created a magnanimous feeling, causing me to want to share.

The first time was when we were entering the port building before boarding and the woman ushering us through the doorway to the right line went gaga over my earrings. They are handmade dicrotic glass earrings that I purchased at a craft show. I instantly wanted to give them to her, and I actually reached up my hand to pull one out - and then I remembered they were one of a kind that matched my outfit perfectly, and I didn't want to give them up, so I came to my senses. I wondered if she realized I was about to give them to her?! :o

The second time was when I was at the spa counter about to go in for my massage, and the young woman at the counter complimented my hat, saying it was the same color as her favorite tee shirt. It's a newsboy hat, a style I wear often and have in many colors, including the turquoise color I was wearing that day, which I bought specifically to wear with my bathing suit. Again, I was compelled to give it to her, but this time I just thanked her and went on.

The third time I actually gave up the item, lol. It was the last night, and I was buying the studio pictures. The young man taking my money said he liked the rubber spring thing I had around my wrist, holding my S&S card, and actually asked me to give it to him! This was one I had purchased just before the cruise, that I really liked because it was clear, so would not clash with everything, and it was small, just perfect for my narrow wrist, which I prefer to use, rather than a long one hanging around my neck.

I told him he could get one at Wal-Mart, and he grinned and said he doesn't get to Wal-Mart very often, and I realized that is probably true -since he is on the boat for so long! So I gave it to him, since it was my last night and I knew I could get another one easier than he could.

Western Guilt

No.. but I really like that diamond ring you are wearing... ;):p

Western Guilt

No.. but I really like that diamond ring you are wearing... ;):p

See, it just doesn't happen when I'm off the ship. No compulsive feelings going on right now. Sorry you lost out. ;)

Not exactly the same but I have been asked twice to leave behind my over the door shoe hanger that I bring for my bathroom stuff. The two that asked didn't really ask me they just said if I was going to throw it out would I mind leaving it for them. I was glad to leave them behind since I only paid a few bucks for them :)

Yes, that is what I mean! It's like we don't mind giving away our goods to cruise staff. I've never been compelled to give a hotel maid my over the door hanger, but if I had taken one on my cruise, and my room steward had asked me for it, I probably would have given it to him like you did!

LOL no, I have people complement me on what I'm wearing at times, but have never felt that I needed to give it to them. Frankly if I have an extra of something or it didn't cost me a lot & I felt they would get more out of the item then I would. Then of course I wouldn't mind giving it to them.

But no I haven't had this happen. As for the shore holder I can see that they would ask for that, being they don't make a lot of money and space is big deal on the ship...

We were not on a cruise, but in Mexico when my husband had this compulsion. One of the workers at the bar (where we were staying) stated to my husband that he liked his t-shirt. So my DH took the shirt off and traded with the bar guy. Gave me quite a chuckle when he brought me my drink b/c he was now sporting a resort uniform shirt. We still laugh about it today!

Yes, that is what I mean! It's like we don't mind giving away our goods to cruise staff. I've never been compelled to give a hotel maid my over the door hanger, but if I had taken one on my cruise, and my room steward had asked me for it, I probably would have given it to him like you did!

So you are not alone on this ;) I also leave any unopened toiletries, worse case is they toss them but it might be stuff they don't get all the time and could use.

See, it just doesn't happen when I'm off the ship. No compulsive feelings going on right now. Sorry you lost out. ;)

OOOOOO so it only happens when your on a ship....hummmmm wheen your next sailing:D

I know just what you are talking about. We just got off the Glory two weeks ago; one day during the cruise the assistant maitre'd, Agata, was leading us to a table for lunch in the dining room and commented on my bracelet (I make bracelets, earrings & necklaces out of glass and ceramic beads) when I told her that I made it she was very surprised. The next morning we went to the dining room for breakfast and again Agata was there to seat us. She asked if I made the jewelry I was wearing that day, too, and I said yes - she seemed to be very taken with it. After she seated us and walked away my husband looked at me and said "you are going to give that bracelet to her aren't you?" Of course I was thinking the same thing. The next time she walked by I stopped her and asked which bracelet she liked better, the one from yesterday or the one I was wearing, and she said that she liked the one that I was wearing. I slipped off the bracelet and quickly put it on her wrist, and she was delighted! I received many hugs and kisses from this otherwise young, reserved Polish lady. She clearly didn't comment on the jewelry expecting to receive anything. She made a point of warmly greeting us every meal throughout the remainder of the voyage, always wearing the bracelet.

I know just what you are talking about. We just got off the Glory two weeks ago; one day during the cruise the assistant maitre'd, Agata, was leading us to a table for lunch in the dining room and commented on my bracelet (I make bracelets, earrings & necklaces out of glass and ceramic beads) when I told her that I made it she was very surprised. The next morning we went to the dining room for breakfast and again Agata was there to seat us. She asked if I made the jewelry I was wearing that day, too, and I said yes - she seemed to be very taken with it. After she seated us and walked away my husband looked at me and said "you are going to give that bracelet to her aren't you?" Of course I was thinking the same thing. The next time she walked by I stopped her and asked which bracelet she liked better, the one from yesterday or the one I was wearing, and she said that she liked the one that I was wearing. I slipped off the bracelet and quickly put it on her wrist, and she was delighted! I received many hugs and kisses from this otherwise young, reserved Polish lady. She clearly didn't comment on the jewelry expecting to receive anything. She made a point of warmly greeting us every meal throughout the remainder of the voyage, always wearing the bracelet.

See, I love this! I wonder how many others out there have similar stories? And while it may seem like the crew has discovered a clever way to obtain goodies (j/k!), I suspect it gives us passengers more pleasure to give things away!

BTW, I make beaded jewelry, too, and if I had been wearing any this trip, I imagine I would have given some of it away, too!

We were not on a cruise, but in Mexico when my husband had this compulsion. One of the workers at the bar (where we were staying) stated to my husband that he liked his t-shirt. So my DH took the shirt off and traded with the bar guy. Gave me quite a chuckle when he brought me my drink b/c he was now sporting a resort uniform shirt. We still laugh about it today!

Now that's a great story, gtc. I'll bet you did a double take when you saw him approaching. :D

OOOOOO so it only happens when your on a ship....hummmmm wheen your next sailing:D

May 15th, 2010 :D

Methinks I need to rethink the way I pack and dress. I may come home with suitcases a lot lighter than when I left! ;)

We always make a point of picking up items in port for the cruise staff. The easiest of which are T-shirts. We typically get matching shirts and give them to the wait staff at the end of the week.

We also gave one to the girl who usually brought us our drinks at the bar during one cruise. The evening we gave it to her she cried and said NO ONE have ever given her anything before. The next day she told us she stared at herself in front of the mirror for an hour that evening when she got back to her cabin.

I actually gave my cabin stewardess a dress once - it was the 1st time I had worn it & she complimented me on it. Since I have so many clothes I thought it would be fun to give it to her - she was about the same size. She was so happy & couldn't believe it. I think if it ever happens again I'll do the same thing. Random acts of kindness are so rewarding.

Not on a cruise....

A couple of years ago we went to Benin (small country in western Africa, next to Nigeria) where my son was posted with the Peace Corps. These people have NOTHING! We did give away a few of our items to the people in the village who were happy to get anything.

Like you, we were not on a cruise but in Jamaica on our honeymoon. My (then) husband had all brand new clothes. There was this one worker at the resort (Solomon) who was so attentive to our every need, that every time my husband saw him, he was compelled to give him his clothes. My husband would look at me and say, "I wasn't going to wear it anyway". It was beautiful. The funniest part was when we were leaving, my husband hunted him down so he could leave him with a pair of sneakers and sandals.

Solomon was so grateful, and you know what - it blessed my husband to have the opportunity to give.

I forgot another time when we went cave tubing and also ATV'ing. Prior to leaving I was told that the if you leave behind your sneakers the people helping really appreciate it so I bought a cheap pair of sneakers and left them. When our bus was pulling away I saw a young boy washing them and hanging them out to dry :)

Archived