Will I make my transfer in LAX?

PagingMyPast

I will be flying on United coming from New Orleans, LA to Seattle, WA on 7/3/09. We change planes in LAX but land at 8:10 am and depart at 8:41 am. This seems very fast! :eek: Will my connecting gates be close since I am coming in and leaving on United? Any advise? :confused:

Thanks!

At LAX, United uses Terminals 6 and 7, while United Express uses Terminal 8. It looks like your connecting flight from LAX to SEA is on United Express. You probably will have to change terminals to catch your connecting flight.

It's tight, but doable IF everything goes according to plan and IF you do not even THINK of dawdling at LAX. As Iggysmom said, you will be changing terminals at LAX, but you do not have to do security again. Here is what I would do.

1) On the day of the flight, check UA's to learn the the gate assignments at LAX. That way, you will know the exact trajectory in advance.

2) Again, be aware that once at LAX; you need to go to gate. Go directly to gate. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

3) In the event you learn of an irregularity at MSY that will render you late at LAX; be aware that UA 7649 leaves MSY for ORD at 6:43 AM, arriving there at 9:08 AM. At ORD (sorry another rush job) UA flight 331 leaves at 9:45 and arrives in SEA at 12:14. An alternative connection is UA 929 which leaves ORD at 11:55 AM and arrives in SEA at 2:24 PM.

4) If in mid air, you learn that you are going to be late getting into LAX, the next flight is UA 5818 which leaves LAX at 11:37 and arrives in SEA at 2:18

Although it is a legal connection it will be very hard to do. If you are in the back of your arriving flight, you might not have a chance to make it. Sometimes the flight attendants will request that passengers remain seated who do not have tight connections so that those who do can deplane. However, many people ignor this request.

Do you feel lucky?

I don't mean this to be insulting, but are you and any traveling companions is reasonable shape? You are going to have to move quickly to get to the connecting gate. Be sure everyone has comfortable shoes for walking.

Stupid question, but were these the original flight times you were given or has something changed?

If they are the original flight times I do not and will not understand if I live to be 100 years old why you would have accepted them.

Surely you would look and see this before you parted with any money, rather than question it once you had booked.

If you have been victim of a change, however, please accept my apologies.

This does not appear to be the result of a schedule change; it looks like the regular flight times for UA 239 & UA 6105.

UA 239 is on time 90% of the time.

Appears your first flight arrives at Terminal 7 , and the next flight leaves from Terminal 8.

No one ever seems to mention on these tight connections, that shortly after you arrive in LAX, your next flight will probably already be boarding. This can be a problem if you need overhead bin space.

I'd say you're going to miss it.

Your SEA flight will almost certainly depart from Terminal 8, where the UAX flights go from (at least the dozen or so UAX flights I've taken have all gone from there), and your inbound flight isn't UAX. If you arrive at T6 it'll be game over, T7 and you could go be OK.

I'd say the odds are not in your favour, although the way flight schedules are padded these days and with a longish inbound flight you could arrive 'early' if you leave MSY on time.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Very nice to know about the alternate connections in case I need them. And yes, my husband and I are in good shape ;) - at least considering our age! We will be celebrating our 25 anniversary that week! :D I will ask our flight attendant if she/he will make that announcement - regarding please let the poor saps off that are trying to make a quick connect :eek:. They may or may not honor that request, but worth a shot. And Garyorient, it was just stupidity (and cheapness) on my part that got me in this jam. I don't understand how airline prices are set, but picked the cheapest I could find that got me in at a reasonable hour. I realized this connection was tight, but assumed it was doable if they put the route together as an option. At least I planned to arrive the day BEFORE my cruise so if I miss the connection, I'll just catch a later flight. One more question though, and this will show how stupid I am - how far is it between terminals? :confused: I'm only familiar with the one in Dallas where you catch a train to go between terminals, but it is really fast. Unless it drops you off at the end of one terminal and you have to walk through 30 gates! Is there a way I can know what my gates are and how far in between? Thanks again everyone!

I actually think you will make this flight. Your first flight leaves very early, and the early morning flights are most likely to leave on time. Also, you have plenty of "wiggle" room, as you are leaving the day before your cruise.

Terminal Maps:

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=246

When you do OLCI 24 hours in advance, it usually shows from which gate your flights will be leaving. You can also go to UA's webpage and click on "Services & Information", then choose "Flight Status". Put in your flight numbers and it will show arrival and departure gates & terminals. This may always change, but it will give you some idea.

I've heard the announcement made to let passengers off that need to connect, but have yet to see people actually get out of the way. Please choose seats as far forward as possible; pay for Economy plus if you have to for your first leg, as these seats are more toward the front of the plane.

I will ask our flight attendant if she/he will make that announcement - regarding please let the poor saps off that are trying to make a quick connect. They may or may not honor that request, but worth a shot.

The only times when I have seen that done is when the flight has been significantly delayed at the origin - and even then, too many folks think their connection is important too. But it can't hurt to politely ask.

And Garyorient, it was just stupidity (and cheapness) on my part that got me in this jam. I don't understand how airline prices are set, but picked the cheapest I could find that got me in at a reasonable hour. I realized this connection was tight, but assumed it was doable if they put the route together as an option. At least I planned to arrive the day BEFORE my cruise so if I miss the connection, I'll just catch a later flight.
Kudos for candor. Hopefully this will be a learning experience without having to miss your flight. As for airline pricing, the simple answer is that it's supply and demand. Desirable flights tend to sell out sooner in the "cheap seats", so you find "good fares" on less than desirable routings/times. That a vast oversimplification, but until I write up another of my "longish" posts, this time on pricing, I hope it will do. And for the future, think about "value" rather than just "price".
One more question though, and this will show how stupid I am - how far is it between terminals? I'm only familiar with the one in Dallas where you catch a train to go between terminals, but it is really fast. Unless it drops you off at the end of one terminal and you have to walk through 30 gates! Is there a way I can know what my gates are and how far in between? Thanks again everyone!
Rugrats posted the LAX link and the info on checking through the UA website. I would echo the thoughts about E+, as you will also get more legroom for the MSY-LAX segment as well as moving towards the front of coach. I can't speak to the cost for that, so check it out and determine if the cost/benefit speaks to purchase.

I've heard the announcement made to let passengers off that need to connect, but have yet to see people actually get out of the way.

One personal exception was on AA from LAX-HNL a few years ago. There were a handful of servicemen and women in their BDUs waiting around the gate area. When we boarded, I noticed several of them were seated in F, which seemed incongruous but I though was cool.

Pulling up to the gate in HNL, the FA made an annoucement something like: "You may have noticed several servicepeople on this flight. They are on a short leave from Iraq and have very little time to spend with their families. We're asking all of you to help maximize their time by remaining seated until they have disembarked. Also, we want to thank the passengers who traded their first class seats and sat in coach so four of the servicepeople could enjoy our First Class."

Nobody stood up and the entire plane broke out in applause until the servicepeople were in the jetway. :)

One personal exception was on AA from LAX-HNL a few years ago. There were a handful of servicemen and women in their BDUs waiting around the gate area. When we boarded, I noticed several of them were seated in F, which seemed incongruous but I though was cool.

Pulling up to the gate in HNL, the FA made an annoucement something like: "You may have noticed several servicepeople on this flight. They are on a short leave from Iraq and have very little time to spend with their families. We're asking all of you to help maximize their time by remaining seated until they have disembarked. Also, we want to thank the passengers who traded their first class seats and sat in coach so four of the servicepeople could enjoy our First Class."

Nobody stood up and the entire plane broke out in applause until the servicepeople were in the jetway. :)

Great story!

Kudos!!! Just as an aside-AA has an unspoken policy that military to/from a war zone gets first class BEFORE upgrades. They nicely ask if you would give up your upgrade, but anyone who wouldn't is a real A***.

AA is also a heavy duty contributor to Soldier Miles. The US military only flies military to their base for R & R. They live in California, their base is Ft. Bragg. They pay to get to California. So Soldier Miles uses miles to get war zone soldiers from base to home and also to get solders DIRECT from war zones home for emergencies. A REALLY good way to get rid of orphan miles or if you have expiring miles. Just makes you feel good!!!

Archived