Just cancelled our Next RCCL cruise booked onboard

I can see how the OP might feel about some suite guests.(probably very few though)

On our shuttle ride from our hotel to the port(5 minutes), one member of a group of 4 ladies told the driver that they were VIP's at least 6 times. Is there somewhere special they would be dropped off, would someone come and get them, etc, etc, always followed by, but we are VIP's. If I encountered this group on the cruise I think I would have been a little put off. I'm sure they continued their VIP speech the whole cruise.

I have to agree with most of the other posters. My family and I booked an Owner's Suite for our cruise next April. Does this make me better than anyone else? HECK NO!!! I did this for the simple reason that my hubby and I could share a cabin with our 2 boys (10 & 14) and not be stepping all over each other. DH and I have always booked at least a balcony cabin because we enjoy that. We've always paid a premium to do what we enjoy and because of that, we can only afford to go on a cruise once every 5 years or more.

Do I think that we should get certain perks? Not necessarily, but they sure are nice and are great incentives to book that level of cabin on future cruises. On our last cruise we had a suite with butler service on Celebrity - talk about feeling like a celebrity! It spoiled me and I could book no less on our RCI cruise. It's taken 5 years to get to this point and the cruise won't be paid off until January (ok maybe a little earlier).

My hubby and I flew first class to Hawaii last summer. As a "bonus" for flying first class, you are able to go through the "gold" lane at the Honolulu airport. When we went thru the lane, there was no one in the "gold" lane, but the other lane was really backed up. Someone in the other lane made the comment "I guess they think they don't have to stand in line". We did stand in line - we were the only ones, but we had to wait until the people that were currently going through security were done before the security guard waived us on. Did we think we were special? No we were just following the instructions given to us when we checked in.

I've seen the perks some people get on cruises. Does that make me want to not cruise on that line - no! It makes me want to reach the point where I can get that level of perks too. If all of this makes me a snob, then so be it. I'll wear it proudly, but I will NEVER treat someone as beneath me simply because they can't afford something that I can - that is NOT what God has taught. I will also not be jealous of something that someone else has - a little envious maybe - that's called coveting thy neighbors goods and I seem to have read somewhere (;)) that that is not what God wants of us either.

Very well said and so true. Bless you and have a great cruise. Larry

I totally agree that the suite pax should get over the top amenitites IN THE SUITE!. More room, butler service, private lounge, go for it.

BUT when it comes to the common areas such as the pool lounges or show seats, everyone should have the same access.

The equivalent scenario is not to first class/economy seating on the plane, where the extras for first class do not impinge on the services given to economy, but rather to persons driving a Mercedes or Lexus and expecting to get reserved parking at the mall...the parking situation is not related to how much you paid for the car.

I think the OP will love Carnival where suites get no perks, except they get to board in a VIP line, nothing else. No special perks, and the repeat cruiser perks kinda suk.

If thats what the OP likes, more power to them.

I have enough self confidence that if someone gets extra perks, I dont feel the least slightly, since I paid for my cabin without perks. I dont even feel like a second class citizen like the OP.

I totally agree that the suite pax should get over the top amenitites IN THE SUITE!. More room, butler service, private lounge, go for it.

BUT when it comes to the common areas such as the pool lounges or show seats, everyone should have the same access.

The equivalent scenario is not to first class/economy seating on the plane, where the extras for first class do not impinge on the services given to economy, but rather to persons driving a Mercedes or Lexus and expecting to get reserved parking at the mall...the parking situation is not related to how much you paid for the car.

That sounds about like my take on it...

At what point did political correctness become so overwhelming that people actually BELIEVE that everyone should, could, would, may, are, can be...equal? If someone pays 5000.00 dollars for a 7 day trip, then they should get their five thousand dollars worth, right? If you pay 2200.00 dollars, then you should get your twenty-two hundred worth, right? It's like comparing a cashier's job to a brain surgeon's and then acting all offended when they aren't paid equal salaries! It makes no sense!

Seriously people...everything isn't, nor should it be, equal unless everything about every situation is exactly equal. That's a nice little Utopia, but it ain't gonna happen.

I just returned from a short RCI cruise and frankly, probably won't be back until they change some things, too. But, it has NOTHING to do with where people who pay more for the experience sit! It's not about paying WAY more for the cruise just so I can say I did. Double the price to sail on RCI isn't worth it anymore. The ONLY thing they have above any line is that their ships are aesthetically pleasing. I don't sail so that my decorative sensibilities won't be offended. I sail to have fun, relax and be pampered. That stopped on RCI about 5 years ago. Until they bring their prices in line with their product, we won't be back.

Well said!

###

At what point did political correctness become so overwhelming that people actually BELIEVE that everyone should, could, would, may, are, can be...equal? If someone pays 5000.00 dollars for a 7 day trip, then they should get their five thousand dollars worth, right? If you pay 2200.00 dollars, then you should get your twenty-two hundred worth, right? It's like comparing a cashier's job to a brain surgeon's and then acting all offended when they aren't paid equal salaries! It makes no sense!

Seriously people...everything isn't, nor should it be, equal unless everything about every situation is exactly equal. That's a nice little Utopia, but it ain't gonna happen.

I just returned from a short RCI cruise and frankly, probably won't be back until they change some things, too. But, it has NOTHING to do with where people who pay more for the experience sit! It's not about paying WAY more for the cruise just so I can say I did. Double the price to sail on RCI isn't worth it anymore. The ONLY thing they have above any line is that their ships are aesthetically pleasing. I don't sail so that my decorative sensibilities won't be offended. I sail to have fun, relax and be pampered. That stopped on RCI about 5 years ago. Until they bring their prices in line with their product, we won't be back.

So if I book two D-1 cabins and it cost me $5000 for a 7 day trip, are you saying I am entitled to the same perks as a suite guest?

Are you saying that suite guests also get reserved pool chairs????

They do now....

However, when my DH, 2 kids and I booked a GS on Liberty of the Seas a couple of years ago, they did not. We had spent $$$$ for our suite and still had to put our things on the floor on the pool deck, as there were no chairs to be had.

To the OP....we went on Carnival last summer in a Cat 12 (the highest they offer) suite and got no extra perks. We don't try to make anyone feel any less than we are just because we occasionally book a suite. It sounds like you just ran in to some guests that need to make others feel badly to make themselves feel better.

We just got off the Liberty on May 23. We were not suite guests, saw the reserved seating at the pool, it was very underused most of the time. How exactly were you all mistreated? Was it RCCL or guests onboard that offended you? We put our comments on the end of cruise evaluation. We did not feel like RCCL should offer suite guests things that take away from the other cruisers.

Saw your post and had to say hi!

How did you like the Liberty compared with the Adventure?

Ref comment from org. poster- We noticed seats in the theater "saved" for certain catagories. Did not notice anything out by the pool but then I usually don't care to sit right by the pool anyway. I guess we would have been irritated if we had been unable to find seats i the theater and then saw that the special section in the theater was not filled.

I would not let this ruin my vacation though.

Going back to the airline analogy - seeing a section of reserved but unused seats in the pool area on a cruiseship shouldn't anger anybody any more than seeing some unused first class seats on an airplane.

But I will say...whoever thought up THAT perk for the high paying cruisers should have realized this would stir up emotions. Surely they must know that the whole chair hog scenario already has people fired up about the very idea of finding poolside seats.

But wait, on the other hand, if you were a high paying customer what would be the sweetest perk in the world? Very possibly it could be reserved seats by the pool! So maybe the cruiseline did think it through and figures it's good trade off. Lose a few envious customers vacationing on a budget, but gain a lot of high rollers who are not only spending big bucks for their special cruise experience, but will no doubt be spending a lot more money all over the ship.

If you were running this cruiseline as a money-making business, not on an emotional level, what would you do?

Sorry, I come from England, as as they say, we are two nations divided by the same langueage.

I read and re-read the OP and tbh I still cannot fathom what he/she is actually talking about.

Is there any chance of a brief precis from somebody?

Thank you:)

The issue isn't that suite guests get something extra, it's that they get something extra at the expense of others. There used to be no reserved seating. When they made reserved seating, THEY TOOK SEATING AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE.

If this was how it always was, then I wouldn't understand why people are getting upset. BUT - something was TAKEN AWAY FROM EVERYONE TO BE GIVEN TO A SELECT FEW.

Where does it stop? Will it make its way into the dining room, where suite guests get the good tables? Reserved seating in the buffet? I can go on and on.

...something was TAKEN AWAY FROM EVERYONE TO BE GIVEN TO A SELECT FEW.

You say "select few" as if that's a bad thing. These are everyday people who are simply paying more of their hard earned money for the upgraded product they're getting. It's a matter of business, not a class war.

I can see how it might be hard getting used to a sectioned off area. If you are used to having the entire pool area to choose from, then this might seem just plain wrong. But this is how it is most places you go. You can't sit just anywhere you want at concerts, plays, Vegas shows, or big sporting events. And if you're at a popular beach destination there are often places when only hotel guests get to use a certain beach. I am sure back in the early days when those things first happened there were plenty of people complaining how they were "taking things away from everybody to be given to a select few", as you put it.

I was somewhat confused as to how OP is one away from Diamond, unless not all cruises taken are listed. I only see 3 on RCCL. May have gotten there the easy way.

Not all posters here feel the need to list all of their past (or upcoming) cruises. Frankly, I never bother to read the cruises other people have been on. Maybe the OP only listed a few of their cruises, who knows?

...something was TAKEN AWAY FROM EVERYONE TO BE GIVEN TO A SELECT FEW.

You say "select few" as if that's a bad thing. These are everyday people who are simply paying more of their hard earned money for the upgraded product they're getting. It's a matter of business, not a class war.

I can see how it might be hard getting used to a sectioned off area. If you are used to having the entire pool area to choose from, then this might seem just plain wrong. But this is how it is most places you go. You can't sit just anywhere you want at concerts, plays, Vegas shows, or big sporting events. And if you're at a popular beach destination there are often places when only hotel guests get to use a certain beach. I am sure back in the early days when those things first happened there were plenty of people complaining how they were "taking things away from everybody to be given to a select few", as you put it.

It has always been that your premium fare got you a premium room (and butler/concierge service, etc). I've cruised a couple times a year for a while now, and special sections for suite guests is new to me.

Your analogies don't work. My ticket at a ballpark gets me my seat. Whether you are sitting behind home plate or up in the nosebleeds, we share a bathroom. There is no "$500 a ticket ONLY bathroom", just as there are no "special" concession stands. I am a "hotel guest" onboard, so I should have access just like other guests. Do resorts have "regular" beaches and "suite" beaches? Don't think so!

I understand that the cruiselines have to make it attractive for people to want to spend the $$$ on suites, but when you do it at the expense of other passengers (by taking away what was once available) you're going to upset people.

And just so you know, I travel in different categories, depending on pricing and itinerary. My next cruise is on Enchantment of the Seas and we're in a GS. Then two weeks later we're on Celebrity Century in a standard balcony cabin.

It has always been that your premium fare got you a premium room (and butler/concierge service, etc). I've cruised a couple times a year for a while now, and special sections for suite guests is new to me.

Your analogies don't work. My ticket at a ballpark gets me my seat. Whether you are sitting behind home plate or up in the nosebleeds, we share a bathroom. There is no "$500 a ticket ONLY bathroom", just as there are no "special" concession stands. I am a "hotel guest" onboard, so I should have access just like other guests. Do resorts have "regular" beaches and "suite" beaches? Don't think so!

I understand that the cruiselines have to make it attractive for people to want to spend the $$$ on suites, but when you do it at the expense of other passengers (by taking away what was once available) you're going to upset people.

And just so you know, I travel in different categories, depending on pricing and itinerary. My next cruise is on Enchantment of the Seas and we're in a GS. Then two weeks later we're on Celebrity Century in a standard balcony cabin.

That's not true. If you purchase box seats, or higher category seats in a stadium, you most certainly DO have restrooms, restaurants, etc...that the other game day fans do NOT have access to. Actually, there's MANY things that the lower paying fans don't have access to in a stadium. That's a perfect example of what this is about. When someone pays more, they SHOULD receive more. What's the point of paying more if you don't?

As just so you know, we never sail higher than a balcony. I have no problem with people getting what they pay for. We are NOT all equal in this scenario. Why is that so hard to get?

So if I book two D-1 cabins and it cost me $5000 for a 7 day trip, are you saying I am entitled to the same perks as a suite guest?

No, and you're being intentionally obtuse by asking. That price wasn't a difinitive. It was an example and should be used as such. I MUST purchase adjoining rooms on every single cruise I take because I have four kids. I don't pay for a suite, I don't deserve the perks that come from paying that price for one single room. Why should I or anyone else receive something I did not pay for?

A much better example would be: If you must purchase two rooms and want perks for doing so, then you'd need to make one of those cabins a suite. Now, you're not talking about 5000.00 dollars, you're probably talking more like 8000-9000. The suite purchase would allow you suite perks. Otherwise, you'll get your 5000.00 dollars worth by having two TV's, two showers and the ability to have an adjoining door. That's what you paid for and that's what you'll get.

We also cancelled a RCCL cruise we had planned for next year and re-booked with HAL. :(

Can you explain more about the treatment that you got? And what reserved area's do you mean? There may be more disturbing changes that I am not aware of.

HAL: I heard that ship almost shuts down by ll:pm

[quote name=hls74;19777712

Your analogies don't work. My ticket at a ballpark gets me my seat. Whether you are sitting behind home plate or up in the nosebleeds' date=' we share a bathroom. There is no "$500 a ticket ONLY bathroom", just as there are no "special" concession stands...

There certainly are bathrooms and concession stands just for high priced seat holders at most big ballparks. And coliseums. And theatres. And I thought of another example. Have you ever been to a racetrack and seen the roped off area (usually upstairs and on the finish line) with someone checking your ticket before you can enter that area? I promise you can not go up there to use the bathroom or concession stand. Is that unfair?

I have sat behind home plate at Yankee Stadium and used the same bathrooms as those with seats valued at a fraction of mine. You are talking about luxury suites - separate, self-contained luxury suites. They pay for those amenities within the suite, but if they leave that part of the ballpark there is no additional service. There is no "Luxury suite" line at the bathrooms and concession stands that are within the rest of the park. The ticket does not get you access others don't beyond the suite you paid for. Maybe that's different some places like racetracks, and before you start talking about VIP areas at concerts, that's a totally different thing. We're getting further away and not comparing apples to apples. Again, a land resort would be the closest comparison, and they don't have private loungechairs on their private beach just for suite guests.

Ok, if I reserve a suite because I want fruit in my extra-large cabin and consierge service and priority whatever...fine. I pay for it, I get it.

However, reserving large areas of pool-side lounge chairs, something that is already in short-supply, for people who may not even use them, is absolutely promoting a class system, as the OP suggested.

The pool is a PUBLIC area, a part of the ship we have all paid to use, whether we book the royal suite or an inside cabin on deck 2. Circling the deck for 30 minutes, trying to find an empty chair, while roped off sections of perfectly good loungers sit empty, is just rubbing it in my face. If there were more than enough pool chairs to go around and they wanted to reserve a prime section of them for those willing to pay a extra...fine. I have no problem with priority seating in the theatre...it doesn't keep me from being able to attend the show. But reserved lounge chairs mean more people will be unable to enjoy the pool. It's not just a matter of not being able to sit in the BEST seats, it's a matter of whether or not you can get a seat at all. That's unfair.

Ok, if I reserve a suite because I want fruit in my extra-large cabin and consierge service and priority whatever...fine. I pay for it, I get it.

However, reserving large areas of pool-side lounge chairs, something that is already in short-supply, for people who may not even use them, is absolutely promoting a class system, as the OP suggested.

The pool is a PUBLIC area, a part of the ship we have all paid to use, whether we book the royal suite or an inside cabin on deck 2. Circling the deck for 30 minutes, trying to find an empty chair, while roped off sections of perfectly good loungers sit empty, is just rubbing it in my face. If there were more than enough pool chairs to go around and they wanted to reserve a prime section of them for those willing to pay a extra...fine. I have no problem with priority seating in the theatre...it doesn't keep me from being able to attend the show. But reserved lounge chairs mean more people will be unable to enjoy the pool. It's not just a matter of not being able to sit in the BEST seats, it's a matter of whether or not you can get a seat at all. That's unfair.

I so agree with what you are saying. I almost wanted to change ships due to this class system RCL has. Leave the public areas alone and let EVERYONE enjoy them. Give the suite guests all the amenities they want within their suite.

Where does it stop? Reserved seating in the buffet? I can go on and on.
Portofino is reserved for suite guests eating in the Windjammer......BUT since this wasn't something "taken away" from you....then I guess it's allright. Correct?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Geez......grow up folks!! :)

Archived