Panasonic- DMC TZ4-Whale Pics in Alaska

Have been reading, but not sure, if my camera with 10xzoom will be good for getting quick pics of whales in Alaska. :confused: Seems there is a delay from when press till pic is actually taken. Dont want to miss getting good shots. Will this camera be good for this purpose? Is this camera good for quick action shots? Think my old 35mm took quicker action shots? Any feedback appreciated. If another better camera for this purpose, please let me know. Also, if a point/shoot camera with viewfinder and at least 10xzoom, that you recommend, please let me know. Thanks alot

A review of the camera by Steve's Digicams says this about the performance:

"Performance from the TZ4 was average. It takes 2.4 seconds for the camera to capture its first image after being turned on. The shutter delay was almost instantaneous when the camera is already focused and just 7/10 of a second when allowing the camera to focus. "

Compared to an entry-level DSLR like the Sony A200:

"From power- on till the first image was captured measured a mere 6/10 of a second. Shutter delay between depressing the shutter and capturing the image, was almost instantaneous (less than 1/10 of a second) when pre-focused, and between 1/10 and 3/10 second including auto focus time; depending on the degree of focus change required."

With proper timing, you could expect to have a good chance of getting the shot. I would suggest a little practice beforehand. An excited family pet is a good source of unpredictable action. :D

If it is in the budget, it might be worth it to move up to an entry-level DSLR like the Sony A230 (new model), Nikon D60 or one of the Canon Rebels. A two-lens kit with a wide-to normal and a 70-300 telephoto (would work fine for whales) can be found for under $700. Entry-level DSLRs are very point-and-shoot friendly and do very well on full auto.

Whatever you end up doing camera-wise, enjoy your trip!

Dave

• 1 month later...

You are lagging speed could be related to your memory card. SD memory cards come in class ratings. The higher the rating the faster the card. 2 - 6 is the rating span. As an example, an 8 G card, class 6 is considerably faster than an 8G card, class 2. And the cost difference between cards to have the fastest is relatively small for the amount of satisfaction it will provide.

All the above was from my husband. He is smarter in the camera department than myself.

But, I still am looking for a point and shoot digital camera, 12X super zoom with a viewfinder. Help!

You are lagging speed could be related to your memory card. SD memory cards come in class ratings. The higher the rating the faster the card. 2 - 6 is the rating span. As an example, an 8 G card, class 6 is considerably faster than an 8G card, class 2. And the cost difference between cards to have the fastest is relatively small for the amount of satisfaction it will provide.

All the above was from my husband. He is smarter in the camera department than myself.

But, I still am looking for a point and shoot digital camera, 12X super zoom with a viewfinder. Help!

Cards only make a difference for shot - shot speed, a faster card always help the write speed as well as transfer from the card to your computer.

For what Oceanbabe is asking, the delay from half push of the shot button to actual picture taking is due to the contrast focus system of all the P&S. They simply can't compare to the much faster almost instant focus speed of phase focus found on all DSLR. Note, when you use the DSLR in live-view mode you are always back to the slower contrast focus.

As Pierces noted DLSR also usually have sub one second on to first shot speed too.

The DMC-TZ5 (and TZ4) have a hi-speed burst shooting mode; would this be helpful in taking action shots? Seems like your card would fill up quickly if it was used on a continuous basis, tho.

That was interesting about the grade of memory cards, I'll have to check mine and see what I have.

The DMC-TZ5 (and TZ4) have a hi-speed burst shooting mode; would this be helpful in taking action shots? Seems like your card would fill up quickly if it was used on a continuous basis, tho.

That was interesting about the grade of memory cards, I'll have to check mine and see what I have.

Those are both nice modes, burst is a pretty healthy ( for P&S ) of 2.5 pictures / second. In that mode you only get 3 pictures, then have to wait a couple seconds before the camera can flush its memory to take another picture.

For the unlimited its a bit slower 1.8 pictures/second.

Any of the more recent flash cards will be good enough, Sandisk Extreme II or any class 2 or better. As to how quickly you fill, don't forget that a 4 GB is good for probably 400-600 pictures, that is a lot of pictures ;)

Archived