NCL Gem vs. RC Splendour

cyndiehabs

Thinking of doing a Greek Isles cruise and can't decide between these two. We are early 40'a with 14 and 11 years old. Like to be active and have good food/service. Going on IOS in August and don't want to be disappointed with smaller ship.

Splendour will be nothing like the IOS. Splendour is one of RCI's oldest ships and, if I'm not mistaken, she is RCI's smallest ship. I believe the early Vision Class ships are slightly smaller than Sovereign Class.

The NCL Gem, on the other hand, is one of NCL's newer ships. Of course, you have to not mind the Freestyle thing.

Have you looked at the Navigator of the Seas or the Jewel of the Seas? They are also doing those routes, but the dates may not work for you.

As for me Splendour had THE best crew of any ship we have sailed bar none. Ship is in great shape and because of the port intensity you can forgo all the "stuff" that glitters but you never use anyways. My belief is because of the low numbers onboard items like food quaility was much better and the service was not suffering due to overworking of the waiters and room staff as seen on larger ships. We had an absolute flawless cruise and plan to return just for the Splendour and the itinerary. Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

The remark about Freestyle sums it up, really. NCL is very informal, except in the speciality restaurants. As for service, crews change constantly, so you can never tell... We were on NCL Jade soon after she moved to Europe, and the crew had not shaken down properly; 9 months later on the same ship and it was the friendliest, happiest crew we've ever seen! As previous poster says, these cruises are so port intensive that much of what happens aboard will be missed out anyway! Enjoy choosing-jocap.

• 1 month later...

we did the Spendour of the seas last year with our 15 year old son - he was bored stiff. There was not enough for him to do on the ship- infact there was very little to do. They were very strict over the age limit using the solarium (quite right too) there is no sports deck and the golf is very tired and wasn't in good nick.

We did the Brilliance when he was about 12 and I hardly saw him he had so much to do.The pool tables were fab!

The Splendour is a very nice ship and not as gaudy as the bigger ones but we both preferred the Brilliance. I can't comment on the other ship you are considering because I haven't been on it.

Archived