Muster Drill

awinter

So can anyone tell me about the Muster Drill...How long does it usually take? Do you just put on a life jacket and listen to someone tell you what to do in case of an emergency? Just wondering as it seems some people really don't like it and I'm wondering why. I figured it was just because it take time away from other things but then figured maybe I should ask. Thanks!

there are 2 parts:

you get called to your muster station (a place where you all gather in groups and get instructions on how to put your lifejackets on ) - ours was in the Mikado show lounge on teh Elation.

Then you have to go up (or down/whatever) to yoru "assembly station" - the lifeboat drill portion. This is where you will get in the lifeboats.

Ours lasted about 25 mins from start to finish. May be longer if others try and hide or whatever. Sometiems you wear the jacket the whole time, sometimes not - depends on the CD i suppose. We had to put it on, and then off in 5 mins :-)

It depends on the ship, between 20- 45 minutes. We have been on some that you just go to a meeting place,listen to the instruction, put on the vest and leave. Others, we have done the above, then gone to the actual lifeboat station and listened to another set of instructions. We have been on over 40 cruises and would not think of trying to get out of it, because in the case of a REAL EMERGENCY, we want to know where to go. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

there are 2 parts:

you get called to your muster station (a place where you all gather in groups and get instructions on how to put your lifejackets on ) - ours was in the Mikado show lounge on teh Elation.

Then you have to go up (or down/whatever) to yoru "assembly station" - the lifeboat drill portion. This is where you will get in the lifeboats.

Ours lasted about 25 mins from start to finish. May be longer if others try and hide or whatever. Sometiems you wear the jacket the whole time, sometimes not - depends on the CD i suppose. We had to put it on, and then off in 5 mins :-)

I didn't realize you actually get in them. My son is going to love this as he has been so excited to see the lifeboats (He's 5 and get's a kick out of the small stuff :D)

there are 2 parts:

I was gonna say - when did they start making you get in the life boat!?! I dont wanna be crammed in a life boat hanging off the side of the ship. Too funny!

We've never actually gotten IN the lifeboats!!!!! You will just stand there on deck with your lifejacket on, and listen to the emergency instructions....

Folks don't like it (particularly if they've cruised before)--it's like the airline "emergency" talk....

And, in most cases, you've already been "partying" a bit, and folks don't want to interrupt their good time!

It's not as bad as some make it out to be...and it could save your life!

As to how long it takes, if you are in the hot sun it seems to last forever. If you are inside with air conditioning it doesn't seem to take long at all. We've done both and pray for inside every time. Either way, it is kind of fun because you know your cruise has really begun.

I think I am different. I don't like the drill because there is never any information really given. Who can't put on a life jacket?

Same with the airplane thing. I mean come on. Who doesn't know how to buckle a seat belt and they only sort of point towards the doors. I have neer been in a crash, but we did abort take off once and run off the end of the runway burying the planes front wheels all the way which caused the plane to pitch way more than I would have expected. Some people went nuts.

I only put up with it because I know it is not the cruise line or the airline that came up with that stupid requirement. Get it over with as fast as possible and move on.

ANd for those that skip or attempt to skip the drill thereby delaying the rest of us that can follow orders, esp when I am standing in the sun, I like to think there will be a very special place in hell for you.

I think I am different. I don't like the drill because there is never any information really given. Who can't put on a life jacket?

Same with the airplane thing. I mean come on. Who doesn't know how to buckle a seat belt and they only sort of point towards the doors. I have neer been in a crash, but we did abort take off once and run off the end of the runway burying the planes front wheels all the way which caused the plane to pitch way more than I would have expected. Some people went nuts.

I only put up with it because I know it is not the cruise line or the airline that came up with that stupid requirement. Get it over with as fast as possible and move on.

ANd for those that skip or attempt to skip the drill thereby delaying the rest of us that can follow orders, esp when I am standing in the sun, I like to think there will be a very special place in hell for you.

If you have NEVER been on a boat and I know plenty of people like that, then you don't know how to put on a life jacket. Different vests go on different ways.

Just my .02 worth.

if you get drunk first at sail away and act too silly at the muster drill they make you jump off your side of the boat and swim around to the other side to get back on.

had to do it twice, i gotta quit drinkin....

We just got off the Liberty yesterday and the muster drill on this one was much longer than the one on the Legend last year. The drill on the Liberty took about a half hour or so because they repeated each set of instructions in 3 different languages, which is completely necessary with such a diverse group of passengers.

It's really not that bad though. The Piano Bar singer was in charge of our muster station so we got a chance to meet him.

Well my husband and I normally get on the boat around 3 or so. By the time we get to our room and up our stuff away its time for the muster drill. Its not really a big deal. One time it did take us 45 minutes to do the drill. Because we left from P.R. The did the drill in 3 different laugauages. Engish, Spanish and French. But normally doesn't take that long.

But it is important to know where you need to be if you do have to use the life boats. Each boat is different.

So can anyone tell me about the Muster Drill...How long does it usually take? Do you just put on a life jacket and listen to someone tell you what to do in case of an emergency? Just wondering as it seems some people really don't like it and I'm wondering why. I figured it was just because it take time away from other things but then figured maybe I should ask. Thanks!

Just follow your guides and fear no evil. BUT DO NOT BLOW THE WHISTLE!!!!!!!!!

To this day, I am still amazed at how many people (kids and adults) continue to blow on that whistle..YUCK!!!!!!!!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan40 viewpost.gif

To this day, I am still amazed at how many people (kids and adults) continue to blow on that whistle..YUCK!!!!!!!!:eek:

Who cares when you have a few alcohol drinks in you. Well the kids, of course will stick anything in their months. :eek:

Muster really isn't that bad. Last time, we met out by the lifeboats, they showed us how to put the lifejackets on and explained where to go in case of an emergency. It only takes 15 to 20 minutes and is pretty easy. I think that a lot of people don't like it because they want to be doing other things, but the truth is that there's nothing else that you can be doing! All the bars are closed, no shopping, etc and everybody is at muster drill anyway. Plus, it's kind of fun to have an official start to the cruise and take the traditional life jacket pictures. And, while emergencies where you would have to abandon ship are rare, I still want to know what to do in case there is one. Better safe than sorry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan40 viewpost.gif

Who cares when you have a few alcohol drinks in you. Well the kids, of course will stick anything in their months. :eek:

Dere Hain't dat much alcohol in dem froo froo drinks to sanitize a whistle that's been in 50,962.47 moufs.:eek:

I JUST did my first muster last week. It wasnt a big deal! Apparently, IF the ship sinks, I was supposed to go to the Rock and Roll nightclub on the Inspiration. I thought this was PERFECT... If the ship is sinking, I'm going to NEED a drink!

But take it all seriously.

DSC00747.JPG

It is not that bad, especially if everyone shows up and does not try to hide. On some of the bigger ships the boat deck is shaded pretty well by the lifeboats and the above decks so the sun does not really come into play. In these pictures, taken aboard the Carnival Glory, we had to use a flash to get enough light (notice the reflection off her life jackets reflective strip).

IMG_1320.jpg

Hey, skylock is that the Stig in your profile picture?

Archived