First Timer Cruising w/Family

sunnykb19

We are planning an Eastern Caribbean or possibly Mexican Riviera cruise March 2010. We're a family of 5. Kids will be 7, 5 and 3. We're in our early 30's (if that matters :)). I'm wondering what cruise line you would recommend. RC or Carnival? I realize a lot of it is personal preference, but if you could give me a few of your personal pro's and con's. What line has better kids programs or are they pretty equal? Also, whether you'd recommend the Caribbean or Riviera for us. RC is about $500 more pp for the suite. Is it worth it and what do you get for the extra $$ vs. Carnival?

Another question I have is it seems that both lines only have one cruise to Eastern in March but have several boats going to Southern and Western. Why is that?

Thanks so much!!

Thanks for all your help so far! Originally I wasn't looking into Western Caribbean because my Baby Brother and SIL had done a western and didn't want to do one again (ports included Jamaica but I can't remember what else). But I got curious and stumbled across the fact that I could go to Roatan on a Western. (We went to Roatan on our honeymoon 9 yrs ago and we are taking our first cruise to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary next year and I figured what better way to celebrate by taking our 3 kids back to where it all started?!)

I think I've also decided to sail with Carnival vs. RCI. Being that it's our first trip, the ship itself is less costly and the excursions seem to be less $$ as well (along with the fact that there seems to me a lot more choices in excursions). My choices of ship are Dream (Port Canavral, FL), Glory (Miami), Valor (Miami), Legend (Tampa) or Triumph (New Orleans).

I know the Dream is new but I can't seem to find any really helpful information on the others (I think I have some major information overload. I've been researching like crazy the last couple of days)...can anyone point me in the right direction or share some personal insights?

Itineraries are about the same for each ship with ports in Belize and Cozumel. The only other choices are that I can see Costa Maya or Grand Cayman or spend 2 days at sea and only 3 ports instead of 4. Any recommendations in that area?

Anyway, I'm so sorry that I'm so all over the place and I really appreciate your time! :o

there are ships that can fit 5 persons that are not suites if that may help too.

our family of 5 can sail for a week (without airfare) for under $3000.

REN, do you know if any of the above ships fit 5? Or how I can find out?

REN, do you know if any of the above ships fit 5? Or how I can find out?

We are sailing Carnival Dream.

You can call Carnival directly and get connected with someone who would be able to answer your cabin questions and give you price quotes.

You can email me and I could give you a direct phone number to the guy we use. ERMamaA@aol.com

Our family had a great time in Grand Cayman. And I personally enjoy sea days (however our Dream cruise has 4 ports).

We are planning an Eastern Caribbean or possibly Mexican Riviera cruise March 2010. We're a family of 5. Kids will be 7, 5 and 3. We're in our early 30's (if that matters :)). I'm wondering what cruise line you would recommend. RC or Carnival? I realize a lot of it is personal preference, but if you could give me a few of your personal pro's and con's. What line has better kids programs or are they pretty equal? Also, whether you'd recommend the Caribbean or Riviera for us. RC is about $500 more pp for the suite. Is it worth it and what do you get for the extra $$ vs. Carnival?

Another question I have is it seems that both lines only have one cruise to Eastern in March but have several boats going to Southern and Western. Why is that?

Thanks so much!!

You didn't mention NCL but they have by far the best suite perks. They have a very good kid's program as well, so you might look into them too.

Thanks for all your help so far! Originally I wasn't looking into Western Caribbean because my Baby Brother and SIL had done a western and didn't want to do one again (ports included Jamaica but I can't remember what else). But I got curious and stumbled across the fact that I could go to Roatan on a Western. (We went to Roatan on our honeymoon 9 yrs ago and we are taking our first cruise to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary next year and I figured what better way to celebrate by taking our 3 kids back to where it all started?!)

I think I've also decided to sail with Carnival vs. RCI. Being that it's our first trip, the ship itself is less costly and the excursions seem to be less $$ as well (along with the fact that there seems to me a lot more choices in excursions). My choices of ship are Dream (Port Canavral, FL), Glory (Miami), Valor (Miami), Legend (Tampa) or Triumph (New Orleans).

I know the Dream is new but I can't seem to find any really helpful information on the others (I think I have some major information overload. I've been researching like crazy the last couple of days)...can anyone point me in the right direction or share some personal insights?

Itineraries are about the same for each ship with ports in Belize and Cozumel. The only other choices are that I can see Costa Maya or Grand Cayman or spend 2 days at sea and only 3 ports instead of 4. Any recommendations in that area?

Anyway, I'm so sorry that I'm so all over the place and I really appreciate your time! :o

OK. I have 2 sons, 11 and 5, who have been cruising since they were 8 and 2 - exclusively with CCL. They love the kids programs. Can't say enough good things about it. You won't go wrong there.

We have done the Valor and the Legend - both in March. The Glory is a sister ship to the Valor no there is no real difference there. What we did notice is that we like the Legend better than the Valor. Tampa is an easy port to get to, and deal with. Miami is crazy, and going out of Port C. requires an hour + drive from Orlando. The second reason we liked the Legend is the layout - if you look at the deck plans for the ship and the 360 views, you will see a big difference in the Lido deck; the Conquest class ships (Valor and Glory) have a stadium style pool that I am not real fond of; the Legend has 2 pools that have a much more intimate feel. It just seems to be laid out better also in that you don't have floors that are "blocked" by the kitchen/dining rooms. But at the same time, it has the supper club and putt putt like the larger ships. Lastly, I will note that we went on both cruises the 1st week in March - a common college spring break time. The Valor was loaded with college kids - beer bongs on the lido deck and all. We didn't mind, but we found less of that on the Legend, and on the whole, a slightly older crowd - ie a few more walkers than on the Valor.

I can't comment on the Dream, other than to say she looks like she is going to be fantastic. I am still betting that I will prefer the Legend and other spirit class ships - size is not an appeal to me. You can find plenty of reviews on each of these ships on the Carnival board, so I would start reading there.

As for picking port vs sea days, I think that is a personal preference. I am a port person - it's one of the reasons I have found that I love cruising - whereas my DH could sail in circles for 7 days without a port in sight. So I would opt for more rather than less ports - again, taking me back to the Legend. I agree about Hondouras and would favor an inten. with that as a stop. Realize that Grand Cayman can be unpredictable as to whether you can stop as it is a tender port and one of the most commonly missed; in fact, we missed it on the Valor and I picked the Legend next year in part to try to get a stop there.

No matter what you pick, I think you will have a great cruise.

We just returned from the Carnival Conquest, out of Galveston. Camp Carnival was fabulous! It was our first family cruise (DD is 5 yrs old) and I've only cruised CCL, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I can't imagine asking for anything more that the fabulous experience we had! I'm about to post a separate thread about it.

Archived