Car safety in Cozumel, what to do? Ride Safer too big.

cruzzza

I seriously don't want to have to bring a car seat. First I'd have to buy a new one because I have a super heavy and large Britax. We were thinking about doing Chankanaab. I really don't want to have to keep up with it myself on the beach, but I doubt any carseat will fit in a locker. I am normally adamant about use of the car seat 100% of the time, but I'm finding myself stressed at the thought of what to do about it while in port.

I checked out the Ride Safer vest, which is a great idea, but she's about 10 pounds too light according to the guidelines.

Would putting her on my lap and then buckling us both together be a somewhat viable option? I feel like a bad mom just asking this question. :(

Would putting her on my lap and then buckling us both together be a somewhat viable option? I feel like a bad mom just asking this question. :(

No, that is totally unsafe. How much does she weigh? Is a booster seat an option? Can you rent or borrow a lighter seat from someone?

No, that is totally unsafe. How much does she weigh? Is a booster seat an option? Can you rent or borrow a lighter seat from someone?

She was 26 pounds last week when I weighed her. I don't know of where to rent or borrow. I don't think booster seats are for kids as light as her. I checked the folding Compass one and she is 4 lb too light and 4" too short for use, according to their guidelines. I was tempted to get it (or the Ride Safer) anyway, but wasn't sure if she'd be safe in those due to her slightly being under the height/weight requirements.

We were going to take a taxi to Chankanaab park in Cozumel. Most of the transportation in Cozumel is by taxi. There may be a few tours that take a bus, but we usually do our own thing, which involves taxi rides. We did Passion Island last time thru Carnival and took a bus. I didn't realize there were no seat belts. Would a bus be more safe or less safe? Maybe we need to go to Passion Island again just so we won't have to get in a taxi???

We were going to take a taxi to Chankanaab park in Cozumel. Most of the transportation in Cozumel is by taxi. There may be a few tours that take a bus, but we usually do our own thing, which involves taxi rides. We did Passion Island last time thru Carnival and took a bus. I didn't realize there were no seat belts. Would a bus be more safe or less safe? Maybe we need to go to Passion Island again just so we won't have to get in a taxi???

Yes, no seat belts on buses means children can be "lap children". And you're right, the bus to Passion Island, followed by the boat would not need a car seat. We just did this tour in Feb...no car seats.

I know it's tough to figure out what to do when you want to make the right decision for your children (safety wise). Is it possible that the cruise line takes a bus to Chankanaab on their tour? Or do you think it's just small vans?

Have you thought about renting a car--maybe one of the large worldwide companies would have carseats available. We've rented a car on several occasions and found the driving very easy. We saw the ruins, drove to the beach on the opposite side of the island, had lunch, and then dorve around the perimter of the island. Very little traffic once out of town. Beautiful scenery. If you rent a car and need to put gas in it, just make sure the gas pump meter is reset before you start pumping. Otherwise, you'll pay alot for gas. We learned the hard way!

Good Luck.

How long of a taxi ride would it be?

I'm also very strict about car seat safety but have no qualms about jumping in a cab at the end of a long day without a car seat. I'm sure if there was an accident, I'd never forgive myself, but statistically speaking, it's a very low probability.

That being said, if you need a new seat for travel, get the Cosco Scenara. It can be used RF or FF and is about $40 at Walmart. It's also very light weight. However, it is difficult to install correctly, so take the time at home to learn how to do it right, with a lap belt.

It looks like you're going on Carnival so this may not be relevant. We did Chankanaab on RCCL in Feb 08. We booked through the ship and they lined us all up and put us in taxis. Neither cab in either direction had any seatbelts. So even if we'd taken a booster, it wouldn't have done us much good. We stuck our son (almost 5 at the time) between us, each of us put a leg over the top of him and we just hoped for the best. I speak Spanish and told the cab guy I'd give him an extra tip if he drove slowly. He looked at me like I was nuts so I had to explain :)

Just checked her height and weight and she is about 36 inches tall with shoes and 27 pounds. That's so close to being able to use the Ride Safer in height, but still about 8 pounds too light. I'd have to order it today to get it in time! Decided against the folding booster because of the size. After hearing there are no seat belts in cabs, I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my money anyway. :confused:

I think the RideSafer is probably much safer for her than a booster. I actually haven't ever used our RideSafer vest, my dd is only 34#. We will be using it in 2 weeks in Alaska, I'm still trying to fatten her up. ;) I've had mine for a few months, and it seemed to fit my daughter just as well when she was 31# as it fits today at 34#. She just gets taller, no bigger around. She is 42" now, so well within the height but still not heavy enough.

I bought a Compass folding booster for my sister and it was much larger than I though it would be, so I totally agree with you about this, not really the thing to drag around the beach either.

Another option is the Safeguard Go, but it requires a top tether anchor. I have no idea if you'd find those in any vehicle on your trip, but it IS a suitable restraint for your child's size. It is also, on sale right now for a great price at Elitecarseats: http://www.elitecarseats.com/SafeGuard-Go.pro?utm_source=ecs&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=promo1b&utm_content=TestA-SafeGuardGoSalePrice-030209&utm_campaign=ecshomepage

Personally, I'd try to organize my trip to use busses only, or skip the excursion that requires the transportation. :(

If that isn't possible, or if this trip is really important to you, my second choice is to take a Costco Scenera, super lightweight and cheap enough that if it gets lost/stolen/ruined not that big of a deal.

Third choice, buy the RSTV. You'll get lots of use from the RSTV in the future, so it is a good investment. My niece recently outgrew the Britax seats, so we now use the RSTV for her in my car or my moms, and I keep it in my car for my DD's preschool friends.

I'm not an expert, nor am I a child restraint tech, so take my opinion for what it is worth - not much - but I am very interested in child restraints and own about 10 various carseats now including an RSTV, and my guess is that for your child, the RSTV is safer than a booster. She is so tiny, she could submarine out from under a belt in a booster. :( Neither are as safe as a carseat that is rated for her height and weight, however.

Whatever you decide, have a safe trip!

I think the RideSafer is probably much safer for her than a booster. I actually haven't ever used our RideSafer vest, my dd is only 34#. We will be using it in 2 weeks in Alaska, I'm still trying to fatten her up. ;) I've had mine for a few months, and it seemed to fit my daughter just as well when she was 31# as it fits today at 34#. She just gets taller, no bigger around. She is 42" now, so well within the height but still not heavy enough.

I bought a Compass folding booster for my sister and it was much larger than I though it would be, so I totally agree with you about this, not really the thing to drag around the beach either.

Another option is the Safeguard Go, but it requires a top tether anchor. I have no idea if you'd find those in any vehicle on your trip, but it IS a suitable restraint for your child's size. It is also, on sale right now for a great price at Elitecarseats: http://www.elitecarseats.com/SafeGuard-Go.pro?utm_source=ecs&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=promo1b&utm_content=TestA-SafeGuardGoSalePrice-030209&utm_campaign=ecshomepage

Personally, I'd try to organize my trip to use busses only, or skip the excursion that requires the transportation. :(

If that isn't possible, or if this trip is really important to you, my second choice is to take a Costco Scenera, super lightweight and cheap enough that if it gets lost/stolen/ruined not that big of a deal.

Third choice, buy the RSTV. You'll get lots of use from the RSTV in the future, so it is a good investment. My niece recently outgrew the Britax seats, so we now use the RSTV for her in my car or my moms, and I keep it in my car for my DD's preschool friends.

I'm not an expert, nor am I a child restraint tech, so take my opinion for what it is worth - not much - but I am very interested in child restraints and own about 10 various carseats now including an RSTV, and my guess is that for your child, the RSTV is safer than a booster. She is so tiny, she could submarine out from under a belt in a booster. :( Neither are as safe as a carseat that is rated for her height and weight, however.

Whatever you decide, have a safe trip!

Thank you for that post! It really did help. I think I'm going to order the Ride Safer. I like the Safeguard Go, but I'm scared there will be no top tether and then it would be useless :eek: . The vest seems more portable overall, too, which is a plus. If it doesn't fit, then we'll just use it on the next cruise ;) .

Thank you for that post! It really did help. I think I'm going to order the Ride Safer. I like the Safeguard Go, but I'm scared there will be no top tether and then it would be useless :eek: . The vest seems more portable overall, too, which is a plus. If it doesn't fit, then we'll just use it on the next cruise ;) .

I'd probably have ordered the RSTV and the Safeguard Go both, lol! That is a great price on the Safeguard Go, I wouldn't pass that up if I could think of any reason I'd need one.:rolleyes: Another great feature of the RSTV - it has no expiration, so you can use it as long as it fits, and then still be able to resell it.

Just keep in mind that unlike a carseat, the RSTV has NO side protection, so if possible, place your child in the center of a vehicle.

We might not even need the RSTV this trip but I'm really looking forward to having it, just in case we decide to grab a cab, or if the bus trip we have booked turns out to be a van with seatbelts. I actually just bought a new backpack today, since my regular sling style bag isn't really big enough for the RSTV plus all the other "stuff" I lug around.

Let us know how the RSTV works for you!

Have a great cruise!

I just got a Safeguard Go for my son. He's almost 4 and is about 42" and 42#. I took it on a trip to LA this weekend, and it worked out OK. The main issue with it is that it's not very comfortable. It's great for short trips, but after about 20-30 minutes in the seat, he started crying and trying to escape. He NEVER does that with his normal Britax seat. On the plus side, it's super easy to install with LATCH and it is fairly portable. I took the seat packed in its bag on the plane as a carry-on and stowed it in the overhead bin.

We have installed it using a seat belt, and it was fine. Not as easy as with LATCH though.

I'm taking it on our cruise in September. I'll use it as a 5-point harness while we're in Florida, but when we're in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, I'm using it as a booster because I don't think I'll find a top tether in any cab.

The minimum height to use as a booster is 43". My son is growing like a weed, so I'm fairly confident he'll be at least 43" in Sept.

It looks like you're going on Carnival so this may not be relevant. We did Chankanaab on RCCL in Feb 08. We booked through the ship and they lined us all up and put us in taxis. Neither cab in either direction had any seatbelts. So even if we'd taken a booster, it wouldn't have done us much good. We stuck our son (almost 5 at the time) between us, each of us put a leg over the top of him and we just hoped for the best. I speak Spanish and told the cab guy I'd give him an extra tip if he drove slowly. He looked at me like I was nuts so I had to explain :)

I'm going to second this...I've done several land vacas to Mexico, and many of the cabs did not even have seatbelts making the seats/restraint system useless. You would probably be better off booking w/ Carnival and letting them find a viable solution.

Archived