How can I ditch my TA?

Yes you sure could, call Royal Caribbean first though and tell them what you are about to do. They can sometimes put you on a waiting list so when and if those cabins suddenly become available you can call back and get them once your current travel agent cancels the booking.

What type of connecting cabins do you have booked on Adventure, I can look and see if any others in the same categories are still left for you to book incase you can't get back your original cabins.

If it was a D1 Balcony Category I still see a least 5 sets of connecting cabins available. Also see one set of Category H Outside cabins on deck 3

Jimbo:)

Hi Jimbo,

Is there a website where you can check available rooms?

If so, would you be able to provide me with the link?

Thanks for the help :)

I usually find my deals on the internet also but sometimes it is better to use a TA.

We booked our last Dec. X Century TA cruise in euros in Germany where you can't book directly with the cruise. We saved over 30% compared to USD price for the same cabin category in N.A.

I've also made all of my cruise arrangement directly with the cruise line and transferred the booking to a TA just before final payment for additional benefits such as an OBC or a lower price depending on which cruise line you are booked on.

Also have booked with a TA after the final payment date, again for additional benefits, since typically the deal that close to sailing are for new bookings only for which you can't use to get a price reduction.

Bob , tell me how you paid in Euro's and what steps you need to do to purchase a cruise like that.

Hi Jimbo,

Is there a website where you can check available rooms?

If so, would you be able to provide me with the link?

Thanks for the help

Jimbo, I would also be interested in this site.

I assume OP has discussed dissatisfaction with the TA or maybe requested help from another agent in same company---- it may be easier to stick with them & never use them again!

So did you make the switch?? If you are having problems with your TA now over minor things I would not stick around...what kind of service are you going to get if you have a MAJOR problem?

I have a similar situuation with my TA. All of the OBC's , savings certificates and a very nice price drop, were found by myself, Although I asked her specifically to be on the look out. There was no reluctance or hesitancy on her part to apply the savings but I feel like I'm doing her job so what's the use of having a TA. I even found the airfare and booked a hotel pre-cruise.

I've used a few agencies and none of them looked for price drops or OBC's. Most were satisfactory, but if you are looking for someone else to do this your options are more limited. Perhaps a smaller agency would be better for this.

I read these posts constantly on the boards about TAs informing customers of price drops, and offering OBC and what not. My TA has not informed me of anything, I check daily for price drops, the one time there was a price drop, she could not process it right away, plus she said there was a $25 process charge for it. Ive only put down a deposit of $500 for my family of four, is there a way for me to work with RCCL directly?

She charged you to process a price drop that you found?? She should have paid you $25 for doing her job and finding it!!

Unfortunately, many TAs charge a change fee for price drops. When a price drop of about $100 pp or so comes along, the TA loses about $25 in commission so many agencies protect their commission by charging for changes. If you are saving $100-$150 and pay $25 for the change, you come out ahead and they protect their commissions.

This should have been disclosed to you upfront when you made your bookings with them. They should have told you, but also, you need to know to ask about any fees for cancellation, changes, price drops, etc. Let's face it, everyone is taking a hit in this economy and travel bookings are down. TAs are losing customers and income just like everyone else. Commissions are much smaller than most people would believe and at times, may end up being only a few dollars but involve a lot of work on the part of the TA (between calls to the cruise line, forms and files to maintain, accounts to set up) that price drops end up costing them money.

I'm not supporting or decrying this position. Just explaining it a bit.

Ive decided to just stick with the TA, the possibility of losing our connecting cabin is not worth the change. I thought of going with another connecting cabin was a possibility, but I like our location toward the back of the boat to much.

Bob , tell me how you paid in Euro's and what steps you need to do to purchase a cruise like that.

I just booked in on line by sending an booking request to the agency and it was Royal Caribbean Frankfurt not the travel agency that billed my credit card in euros which was converted to my home currency, CAD, by my credit card company. It did matter to me which foreign currency, euros or USD, the cruise was billed in and at that time having it in euros offered us by far the best price in CAD.

Unfortunately, many TAs charge a change fee for price drops. When a price drop of about $100 pp or so comes along, the TA loses about $25 in commission so many agencies protect their commission by charging for changes. If you are saving $100-$150 and pay $25 for the change, you come out ahead and they protect their commissions.

On our last cruise, for a price drop, our TA just reduced the on-board credit so that their commission remained the same. I was never told that would happen. Live and learn.

I don't use TAs anymore. With the internet, I can find a better deal on my own.

I usually find my deals on the internet also but sometimes it is better to use a TA.

I may be a little confused here but if you're not using a TA then there is no deal to be found. Book directly with the cruise line and the price is the price. If you're referring to searching the internet and booking on a site other than the cruise line itself, you're using a TA. Not the old-fashioned TA that sits behind a desk in a storefront location but a TA none the less. A rose by any other name and all that.

I may be a little confused here but if you're not using a TA then there is no deal to be found. Book directly with the cruise line and the price is the price. If you're referring to searching the internet and booking on a site other than the cruise line itself, you're using a TA. Not the old-fashioned TA that sits behind a desk in a storefront location but a TA none the less. A rose by any other name and all that.

Getting a price far below the normal selling price, whether I get it directly from the cruise line or a agency, is my definition of a deal . If I can find a sell off or a special sale (e.g. RC's & X's Tuesday Special Event sale) or special discount like senior or residency rates on the internet by looking at the cruise lines web sites or different agencies' sites, I consider that a deal. If I can combine that something from a TA, I consider it a even better deal.

I guess your definition of a deal is getting a price lower than what you would pay booking directly with the cruise line no matter how good the price is.

Getting a price far below the normal selling price, whether I get it directly from the cruise line or a agency, is my definition of a deal . If I can find a sell off or a special sale (e.g. RC's & X's Tuesday Special Event sale) or special discount like senior or residency rates on the internet by looking at the cruise lines web sites or different agencies' sites, I consider that a deal. If I can combine that something from a TA, I consider it a even better deal.

I guess your definition of a deal is getting a price lower than what you would pay booking directly with the cruise line no matter how good the price is.

I see what you're saying now. I can certainly see getting a good deal even though the price is the same everywhere. That happens often.

I see what you're saying now. I can certainly see getting a good deal even though the price is the same everywhere. That happens often.

Especially true since the Fall of 2008.

We paid a total (each of two inc.all charges) the equivalent of about $600US for an aft corner Family Veranda with a huge balcony on our 14 night X Century TA cruise which we did in late Nov.and early Dec.08 and less than $700US total each for a D1 balcony on our recent Radiance 15 night repositioning cruise from Chile to San Diego.

The super deals are certainly out there if you are flexible on when, how long and where you want to cruise or travel in general.

In Feb. we went to Jaco, Costa Rica for two weeks on a package that included air from Toronto, a one bedroom apartment (no meals) in a 3* resort in a great location and all transfers from San Jose airport for less than $600US each. To top it off DW had won a gift certificate that paid her portion of the cost.

Archived