How do you ladies avoid....

dustpan

razor burn?? I have extremely sensitive skin and no matter what I do, I always end up with razor burn! I have tried different razors, creams, lotions, nothing seems to help...Any advice on anything I can try would be fantastic! Thanks in advance

And I thought I had sensitive skin! Have you tried shaving in the tub and soaking for a while first, using a shaving creme for sensitive skin, using only a new razor and then applying lotion after you are done? Don't ever shave dry.

I have tried all of the above! I have tried the bikini zone bump stopper stuff too (waste of money!). I have tried all kinds of brands of shave creams, even super thick conditioner...

You know, when I was younger, I had that problem, but as I've aged, I guess my skin has "toughened"!

Definitely shave in a shower or bath---dry shave?????NEVER! I just use my normal soap for shaving...shaving cream is too much trouble! It could be the type of razor you use, too...try a different brand!

There are many out there: Tend Skin, GiGi No Bump, Paula's Choice Skin Relief Treatment, etc. Some brands have more ASA, and some have less, I don't know how much is in the bikini bump product you mentioned. Also, ASA has a limited shelf life, so if your product has been hanging around your medicine chest for a long time, it's possible that the ASA is no longer effective.

I've used all of the above brands and found Tend Skin the most expensive and the most irritating (it did stop the razor burn, but was way too drying), though many people swear by it. Paula's Choice is less expensive and works well, and the GiGi one works well and used to be pretty cheap but has now gone up in price, probably due to the price of Tend Skin.

For a cheap alternative, you can dissolve some aspirin in a small amount of water and use a cotton ball to put that on your legs. I've tried that too but it's kind of a pain to get the solution ready so I just buy the ready-made stuff. I usually apply it right after shaving, and then again before bed, and again after showering the next day.

I agree with alphakitty.

I used to get horrible razor burn & bumps on my underarms but once I started shaving in the direction of the hair growth it all went away. Now, granted, I do have to shave more often but without the bumps and burn I don't mind.

• 1 month later...

I always exfoliate my skin well before shaving. This seems to drastically reduce burn & bumps. I use either a very soapy washcloth, soapy exfoliation gloves, or a natural fiber exfoliation mitt with lots of soap. Use a light touch and a circular motion. I also use single blade razors. They may not shave you as close as those double, triple, or quadruple blades, but they'll save your skin.

It sounds as if your skin is super-sensitive, so you might have a problem with waxing also. I always shave as the last step in my shower, and just use soap to lather up. I use a Gillette Quattro razor, and change the blade at least once a week. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am kind of OCD about having no hair on my legs, so I shave every other day, and it just takes a couple of minutes.

I haven't had this problem since I switched to an epilator. You might think about trying that.

Same here. I love my epilator. However, I recently got the no!no! which isn't painful at all.

You may be using too much pressure and trying to shave too close. A good shave is a clean shave, not a close shave. Razor bumps are caused when the skin heals over the cut hair, since the cut end is blunt.

This was drummed into me as a mantra by my barber teacher more than 30 years ago.

Also, avoid disposable razors, those things are horrid. A good barber shave always goes in the direction of the hair growth. Soaking in a bath prior is an excellent plan, as well as a good emollient so the razor glides over the skin with no pull.

Same here. I love my epilator. However, I recently got the no!no! which isn't painful at all.

What is the no!no! ??

I have very sensitive skin also - I haven't shaved in ages. I use an epilady, the kind with the metal round head that vibrates really fast. (which they don't make anymore:() I bought a couple of the newer epilators and hated them - ended up in the trash. When I used to shave I would get the horrible rash AND the hair was back in less than 24 hours. But with an epilady the hair is gone for at least a week and when it grows back it is much finer and less noticable.

I got a Braun epilator a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think I'll ever go back to shaving. I have fairly sensitive skin, and there is some redness right after I epilate, but it's gone quickly. I do it at night and by morning I'm fine. It's important to exfoliate well so you don't get ingrown hairs. My legs were no problem, and I got none of the horrible pain reported by some people.. I did my underarms figuring one or two hairs and I'd give that up. Not at all. I have no dark shadow, my underarms are smooth as can be. Spend the money for a decent epilator and it might be the answer. I got this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-5270-Silk-%C3%A9pil-Xelle-System/dp/B000EZYKTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1247400793&sr=8-1

What is the no!no! ??

I have very sensitive skin also - I haven't shaved in ages. I use an epilady, the kind with the metal round head that vibrates really fast. (which they don't make anymore:() I bought a couple of the newer epilators and hated them - ended up in the trash. When I used to shave I would get the horrible rash AND the hair was back in less than 24 hours. But with an epilady the hair is gone for at least a week and when it grows back it is much finer and less noticable.

Here's info on the no!no! from Sephora site:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=5883&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-br%20nono-_-S1247413095_ADOGOE_AGI1092054_CRE2733778727_TID104607091_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20%3d_RAWbm8lMjBubyUyMGhhaXIlMjByZW1vdmVy

I've been using an epilator for 15 years, and now, I use the no!no! on some areas and the epilator on others.

I haven't used a razor in 10 years.

Epilator pulls hair out by the root, and no!no! kills the root with light. So both are long term and extrememly effective. I like the nono better for ....shall we say "brazillian areas".

The nono is also great for men with hairy backs/shoulders because men can't take any pain, and the nono is totally painless. (however, nono is slower because you have to go over the area more times than wax).

Archived