I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Biaria

We will be visiting Funchal for our third time on Saturday, Nov 5. On our first visit we took the bus to Camara de Lobos and last time we had 2 days and took a tour of the western part of the island with a private guide.

This time we will only have the one day and would like a suggestion for taking a bus somewhere to the east. Is there any destination you would recommend that is not too far from Funchal, has frequent bus service and is a scenic drive?

Both times we went up to Monte so we will probably skip that this time. We love your market so we would like to have some extra time for that and walking around Funchal.

Thank you for all the advice you give on this board.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I looked through the public transport timetable for the East side and, especially as you're coming on a Saturday, I wouldn't recommend you using it for your tour - on Saturdays, rides are few and far between. However you can have a look to see if you can work something out yourself: http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/ Just click on Carreiras Interurbanas.

I also looked at the touristic rides by Horários do Funchal and their only tour on Saturdays is to the West.

Instead of going to the East, you may consider a visit to the Botanical Gardens, just take Bus#31 or 31A.

On Saturdays the Market closes at 2pm, so, as you're planning to go there again, you'll need to take that into consideration.

You case you decide to do Market/Botanical Gardens, you won't have to walk all the way from the market to the sea front bus stops, as there's one for 31 and 31A a bit further down from the market. Just walk towards the sea, till you reach a line of bus stops, then look for the plaque with 31 and 31A on it.

Hi again Linda,

Following the same link I gave you yesterday: http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/ and clicking on Carreiras Urbanas, you'll find the timetable for Bus#31 and 31A. Look under "Sabados", as it's Saturdays in Portuguese. "Centro" shows the times at which the bus leaves the main stop at the sea front avenue. It'll take about 2 minutes to reach the bus stop down from the market.

I didn't mention yesterday, but there's also a stop for 31 and 31A if you walk on the opposite direction to the indications I gave you yesterday. I explain: with your back to the entrace to the market, if you walk to your left, you'll reach the bus stop I made reference to yesterday; if you walk to your right, you'll reach the bus stop I told you about today.

Hi Biaria,

We are going to stay at Estalagem Quintinha de São João at end of March. How much should we plan to pay for a taxi from the port to our hotel, and then from our hotel to

the airport two days later. Thanks in advance...You're a real asset for those of us cruising to Funchal--thank you. r/wes

Hi Colonel(Ret.)Wes,

From the port to Quintinha de São João and because of your luggage, you'll most probably be charged 15 EUR.

From Quintinha de São João to the airport, you'll pay about 30 EUR.

You're welcome and thank you for your kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jimbo59,

The HOHO bus stop nearest to the port, is along the waterfront avenue, opposite to the pier. When you see a line of bus stops, pay attention as it's right at the start. You'll walk there in 20 minutes.

Hi Biaria,

We were in Madeira for a week just before Easter in 2010, and my memories are of the lovely walks along past the Lidos, around the Marina and in the town. We did not book any tours or go too far afield as I unfortunately developed an abcess in my tooth quite early and wanted to stay near doctors and dentists! Weather was beautiful and people very friendly. The tickets for the local buses allowed us to walk for miles but then get the bus when tired! One place I really wanted to visit was Monte and I wanted to find out what bus to get up to this town when the ship docks - think it's the 21st November.

Many thanks for your help,

Bluebelle

When I visited Funchal back in September it looked as if foot access from the port jetty to the town centre was blocked by a lot of construction work. I used the port shutle but it dropped us almost opposite the ship and it would have been nice to walk.

Is it still possible to walk from the port jetty where cruise ships moor to the town centre? If so i will probably walk rather than ride in January.

Hi Biaria,

I started reading all of your information and there are just so many pages that I though perhaps you wouldn't mind if I just specifically asked questions that you have likely responded to many times.....sorry.

This will be my first visit to your island.....my first visit to Europe as a matter of fact. I will be in Funchal on March 21 aboard the Prinsendam. This will be the first stop of our cruise after 8 days at sea so I will be happy to hit land!

We will be in port from 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM. I always want to see as much as I can. In my reading I discovered the cable car and wicker sled....looks like a traditional tourist things. I read about the Levada walking trails and the market in Funchal as well as Reids Palace. Soooo.......what would YOU recommend that I take in????? Is there a reasonable tour company that would let me do it all??? I don't know what I am talking about as far as distances and time.

I would truly appreciate your help........you have been so wonderful on these boards.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Biaria. I am doing a ships excursion and one of our stops is the funchal market. Would you know foodwise such as spices etc what we can bring back to the states with us.

Thanks

Hi BettyBoop,

To give you a more precise answer, I'll go to the market later this week and I'll have a look around, to find out what you can take home with you.

Hi Biaria,

We were in Madeira for a week just before Easter in 2010, and my memories are of the lovely walks along past the Lidos, around the Marina and in the town. We did not book any tours or go too far afield as I unfortunately developed an abcess in my tooth quite early and wanted to stay near doctors and dentists! Weather was beautiful and people very friendly. The tickets for the local buses allowed us to walk for miles but then get the bus when tired! One place I really wanted to visit was Monte and I wanted to find out what bus to get up to this town when the ship docks - think it's the 21st November.

Many thanks for your help,

Bluebelle

Hi Bluebelle,

So sorry to know about your abcess during your last visit to Madeira, however it looks like you still enjoyed your stay on the island. Hope next time you don't have to deal with any health issues.

The best buses for you to visit Monte are #20 and #21, because they have their last stop in Largo da Fonte. Bus #21A also stops in Largo da Fonte, but it then continues till Lajinhas, so, taking this one would mean you'd have to be careful to hop off in the right place.

The bus stop in town for these buses is not along the main waterfront avenue, but at the beginning of Rua 31 de Janeiro.

Another possibllity for your ride up to Monte, is bus #22 Babosas, it finishes not far from the entrance to Monte Tropical Gardens. The bus stop is near the cable car station in town.

When I visited Funchal back in September it looked as if foot access from the port jetty to the town centre was blocked by a lot of construction work. I used the port shutle but it dropped us almost opposite the ship and it would have been nice to walk.

Is it still possible to walk from the port jetty where cruise ships moor to the town centre? If so i will probably walk rather than ride in January.

Hi davecttr,

I have good news for you - and for everybody else interested in walking form the pier to Funchal town centre - the new sidewalk along Avenida Sá Carneiro is now ready, so you can count on a pleasant walk into town in January.

Hi Biaria,

I started reading all of your information and there are just so many pages that I though perhaps you wouldn't mind if I just specifically asked questions that you have likely responded to many times.....sorry.

This will be my first visit to your island.....my first visit to Europe as a matter of fact. I will be in Funchal on March 21 aboard the Prinsendam. This will be the first stop of our cruise after 8 days at sea so I will be happy to hit land!

We will be in port from 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM. I always want to see as much as I can. In my reading I discovered the cable car and wicker sled....looks like a traditional tourist things. I read about the Levada walking trails and the market in Funchal as well as Reids Palace. Soooo.......what would YOU recommend that I take in????? Is there a reasonable tour company that would let me do it all??? I don't know what I am talking about as far as distances and time.

I would truly appreciate your help........you have been so wonderful on these boards.

Karen

Hello Karen,

It's my pleasure to be answering you, so feel free to ask anything you wish.

A visit to the market is a must, do that first thing in the morning. If you're a good walker, it'll take you about 30 to 40 minutes from your cruise ship to the market.

The cable car from the centre of town to Monte is very popular with tourists. The station is not far from the market, so you'll get there in no time. It opens at 9:30am. Tickets are 10 EUR one way and 15 EUR round trip, per person.

Once you reach Monte you can spend sometime strolling around, among all the vegetation and flowers, not forgetting a visit to Our Lady of Monte's Church, Madeira's Patron Saint.

Next, try the Toboggan ride (another tourist attaction) - a 2km downhill run in a wicker sledge (15 EUR per person, sharing).

When you finish your Toboggan ride, you'll be 2km away from the center of town, so you'll need transport of some kind, but you have to be very careful, because the taxi drivers will rip you off. My advice is: wait for the bus - you'll pay just 1,80 EUR (ticket bought inside the bus). In case you find to be more convenient to take a taxi, like, for instance, if you choose to go to Reid's Palace for tea afterwards, then take a taxi by all means, but don't accept to pay more than, say, 15 EUR for the ride (for a ride to the centre of town pay only 10 EUR).

Levada walking is very nice, too, but for that I'd suggest you make some previous arrangements - there's companies specialized in walks, with guides that will accompany you. I'm sorry I'm not allowed to recommend anybody, but you'll find them on the internet.

If what you're looking for is an easy Levada walk, that you can do on your own, then any tour company will do and you'll be able to tailor your day as you wish.

In any case, walking on our mountains (Levadas, pathways, etc.)will require that you be careful and pay attention to where you're going.

Thank you so much for your kind words and enjoy Madeira.

Oh... I looked at your list of cruises, past and future, and I was impressed - you like reeeealy looooong cruises!

Hello Karen,

It's my pleasure to be answering you, so feel free to ask anything you wish.

A visit to the market is a must, do that first thing in the morning. If you're a good walker, it'll take you about 30 to 40 minutes from your cruise ship to the market.

The cable car from the centre of town to Monte is very popular with tourists. The station is not far from the market, so you'll get there in no time. It opens at 9:30am. Tickets are 10 EUR one way and 15 EUR round trip, per person.

Once you reach Monte you can spend sometime strolling around, among all the vegetation and flowers, not forgetting a visit to Our Lady of Monte's Church, Madeira's Patron Saint.

Next, try the Toboggan ride (another tourist attaction) - a 2km downhill run in a wicker sledge (15 EUR per person, sharing).

When you finish your Toboggan ride, you'll be 2km away from the center of town, so you'll need transport of some kind, but you have to be very careful, because the taxi drivers will rip you off. My advice is: wait for the bus - you'll pay just 1,80 EUR (ticket bought inside the bus). In case you find to be more convenient to take a taxi, like, for instance, if you choose to go to Reid's Palace for tea afterwards, then take a taxi by all means, but don't accept to pay more than, say, 15 EUR for the ride (for a ride to the centre of town pay only 10 EUR).

Levada walking is very nice, too, but for that I'd suggest you make some previous arrangements - there's companies specialized in walks, with guides that will accompany you. I'm sorry I'm not allowed to recommend anybody, but you'll find them on the internet.

If what you're looking for is an easy Levada walk, that you can do on your own, then any tour company will do and you'll be able to tailor your day as you wish.

In any case, walking on our mountains (Levadas, pathways, etc.)will require that you be careful and pay attention to where you're going.

Thank you so much for your kind words and enjoy Madeira.

Oh... I looked at your list of cruises, past and future, and I was impressed - you like reeeealy looooong cruises!

Thanks for all the info. It answered all my questions.

Alex

Hi Biaria

I have been reading your advice and you have given us some wonderful ideas. We will be in Funchal from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 2

Can we walk to the cable car from the Ship? What is the cost of the cable car to Monte?

My plans: take the cable car to Monte then continue on the other cable car to the Botanical Gardens. Is it easy to find the second cable car?

After this we would like to visit the Church and the Palace Gardens. Can we walk to the Gardens from the Church? Are these the gardens that are referred to as the Tropical Gardens?

How much time should we plan to spend doing all of the above? We will then take the Toboggan Ride down.

Again, thanks

Lorraine

Hi davecttr,

I have good news for you - and for everybody else interested in walking form the pier to Funchal town centre - the new sidewalk along Avenida Sá Carneiro is now ready, so you can count on a pleasant walk into town in January.

Hi Biaria

Could you tell me how far the walk from the pier into the town centre is and is the market in the town or do I need another bus to go there.

Thanks