Closed Loop Cruises has been updated

LoriTX

Closed Loop Cruises has been updated on the Carnival website!!!

:D

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

This is NEWSWORTHY for certain.... now if the mods would place it on a "Sticky" on top of the boards... perhaps it would reduce the # of New Passport Threads that appear daily !

Hey Mods.... get rid of the "Swine Flu Sticky" and replace with a "Passport Sticky" !

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

Interesting. Mach said more than a month ago he has been trying to get a for sure yes or no on Belize and Roatan and hasnt been able to since they are not on the list of allowed ports for no passports. Carnival says for sure not necessary.

OK I understand about the closed loop exception, however I am sailing out of Puerto Rico which is US territory NOT a state so how do we know if need passports.

While Puerto Rico is not a state, it is still a US Port.

OK I understand about the closed loop exception, however I am sailing out of Puerto Rico which is US territory NOT a state so how do we know if need passports.

If starting and ending in SJU, a passport is NOT REQUIRED.....but highly suggested ! ;)

I still want to know if any exceptions will be made. For example, the Splendor still had to make a stop in Cabo, even though no one could get off, to satisfy the Jones Act. Even though travel to Mexico was not recommended there was no exception to the Jones Act.

What if a cruise starts in Miami but due to a hurricane it ends in Tampa. These changes have happened before. Would a waiver be made for those that don't have passports?

We've had passports since 1981 so it wouldn't affect us but I'm still curious. Any ideas?

What if a cruise starts in Miami but due to a hurricane it ends in Tampa. These changes have happened before. Would a waiver be made for those that don't have passports?

No. You'll never be able to go home. :rolleyes:

Pammycakes,

I believe if you are flying into San Juan you will need a passport!

On my last cruise, saw two different couples miss the ship in Belize and Cozumel, and a family taken off after their father was taken away by ambulance in Cozumel. Still wouldn't want to be without one, just in case, or rather, knowing my luck I sure would need it to fly home if I didn't have it.

Is there a link? I don't find the words "closed loop" on their site in a search.

On carnivals website go to the bottom of main page (all the grey links) and click on Passport Requirements.

I still want to know if any exceptions will be made. For example, the Splendor still had to make a stop in Cabo, even though no one could get off, to satisfy the Jones Act. Even though travel to Mexico was not recommended there was no exception to the Jones Act.

We've had passports since 1981 so it wouldn't affect us but I'm still curious. Any ideas?

22 CFR 53.2(b)(9)-(10) allow the Department of State to waive the passport requirement for U.S. citizens for "an unforeseen emergency" or for "humanitarian or national interest reasons".

I think it is safe to assume that a cruise that begins as a closed-loop cruise and is rerouted due to a hurricane will qualify for a waiver. If not, up to thousands of U.S. citizens would be stranded at the debarkation port because of a technicality. I don't think that is going to happen.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=553b77919d12978143a081884958acd3&rgn=div8&view=text&node=22:1.0.1.6.35.0.1.2&idno=22

I just want to make sure:

We are cruising on the Ecstacy February 15-20, 2010. We are supposed to go to Progreso and Cozumel. Will my kids need a passport. We have one but none of the adult kids (20 years-25 years) need one? If they can save the expense that would be awesome.

I thank the moderators for making this thread a sticky. It caught my attention due to that!!!!!!!

I just want to make sure:

We are cruising on the Ecstacy February 15-20, 2010. We are supposed to go to Progreso and Cozumel. Will my kids need a passport. We have one but none of the adult kids (20 years-25 years) need one? If they can save the expense that would be awesome.

I thank the moderators for making this thread a sticky. It caught my attention due to that!!!!!!!

As of now and if a "closed loop" cruise.... they do not need the passport, but between now and then, the rules could change. No way to predict. But if I was a betting person, I would say you will be OK UNLESS the policies change.

Archived