Swine flu onboard Adventure of the Seas

Lets see, CDC, World Health Organization. Where did you hear otherwise?

CDC, WHO and others. The consensus among the experts is that cases of Swine Flu vary from mild to severe and anywhere in between. They also caution that there is still the potential for thwi Swine Flu to become more contagious and severe down the road. I have not heard any expert refer to the swine flu as being "very mild."

CDC, WHO and others. The consensus among the experts is that cases of Swine Flu vary from mild to severe and anywhere in between. They also caution that there is still the potential for thwi Swine Flu to become more contagious and severe down the road. I have not heard any expert refer to the swine flu as being "very mild."

I have. Especially when they (WHO & CDC) announced that they overreacted. Sorry, but it's just a flu. The spread was what concerned them at first, but even that has slowed. It has even made them rethink how they use their alert system.

I have. Especially when they (WHO & CDC) announced that they overreacted. Sorry, but it's just a flu. The spread was what concerned them at first, but even that has slowed. It has even made them rethink how they use their alert system.

So have I. Today they reported 200 and some odd new cases in Toronto. And they went on to say that ALL were very mild and most had already recovered. So MOST people are getting over it before the labs can even confirm that they have it. :rolleyes:

As for its ability to mutate and become more dangerous later, well yes it can as can most other viruses. Heck, even that little spot you have on your shoulder could end up killing you. So whats the point?

Really? Where did you get that information from? :confused:

Every time I hear about it on the news, be it radio or TV, it's referred to as mild...something tells me the same amount of people who die from the seasonal flu (36,000) ain't gonna be dying from the overhyped...I mean swine flu...

So have I. Today they reported 200 and some odd new cases in Toronto. And they went on to say that ALL were very mild and most had already recovered. So MOST people are getting over it before the labs can even confirm that they have it. :rolleyes:

As for its ability to mutate and become more dangerous later, well yes it can as can most other viruses. Heck, even that little spot you have on your shoulder could end up killing you. So whats the point?

Thanks for backing me up. ;)

Thanks for backing me up. ;)

You're welcome.

Don't misunderstand my posts please.

I understand the reasons that the WHO, CDC and others issued the warnings. The flu had the potential to be devastating (as do most other new strains.) But since then it has become apparent that it is not (at least at this time) the threat that it was widely reported to be by all of the 'media' outlets.

The OPS post was just further proof that the media reports whatever they wish, it doesn't have to be true. Filter your news folks, before spreading crap around.

I've done searches on Google news, Yahoo news, AP and Reuters, and there is nothing coming up for "Adventure of the Seas H1N1," and the only thing that comes up for "H1N1 cruise" is the Pacific Dawn ship that docked in Sydney with three crewmembers who tested positive for H1N1.

I think the AOS thing is nothing more than a rumor.

this is obviously a hot topic - but i must say....I work in a HOSPITAL as i am a nurse. so, with that said......i think all the freaking out about swine flu is definately media spurred. you say 'swine flu' and people start buying bread and water from the grocery stores.

now, i do think that it was appropriate to stop travel to mexico to prevent a spread of a known virus. but, at this point, mexico has been cleared. the swine flu hysteria has died down to an extent. we must keep in mind that the best way to prevent ANYTHING is good handwashing 1000 times over. on a ship, you must be extra vigilant about washing hands since you are in such close proximity. but, let me put it this way - i'm not cancelling any plans to cruise on adventure in the near future.

also, yes, it is true that in comparisson - swine flu isn't a high morbidity diesease. more peole die of MRSA, regular flu, etc.... every year. I just don't want everyone freaking out. just try your best to be healthy - that's all you can do. TB is way more contagious than swine flu - nobody's worrying about that right now.

royal is probably the best of all the cruise lines about prevention of sickness on their ships. everyone uses purell before eating and they frequently spray down parts of the ship with bleach.

MORAL OF THE STORY; just wash your hands to prevent spread of anything, not just swine flu.

this is obviously a hot topic - but i must say....I work in a HOSPITAL as i am a nurse. so, with that said......i think all the freaking out about swine flu is definately media spurred. you say 'swine flu' and people start buying bread and water from the grocery stores.

Well, I am a phisician and I think all of this "freaking out" about the swine flu was government employee spurred. Way too many people sitting around collecting paychecks get a few minutes in the spot light and a chance to "show" that they actually do something to "earn" those paychecks when something like this comes along. I had to call our state's dept. of health to ask a question while this flu was going on and the person answering the phone said she would connect me to the Command Center. I was afraid that while I was sleeping W.W. III had broken out or something.:rolleyes:

I rarely come to the defense of the media but they were just running with the info that government agencies were feeding them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I rarely come to the defense of the media but they were just running with the info that government agencies were feeding them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

well, it's kinda like - which came first the chicken or the egg. either way....the media is what the public sees/hears and it's where they get their information from. regardless of where this started - it's here now and it's obvious that people are very scared of 'swine flu' as a generalization. i think it has to be put it in perspective.

What if the CDC and WHO hadn't put the warning out and the Swine Flu turned out to be a killer? I think the warning was correct as was containment. That does not mean hysteria needed to follow. :rolleyes:

As far as the sarcasm about the medical facilities on RCL ships...they are pretty good. If the State department got the cruise lines the testing kit for the Swine Flu, then they most likely got a result. I don't know if the cruise lines have the kits yet or not, but it would make perfect sense if they did.

What if the CDC and WHO hadn't put the warning out and the Swine Flu turned out to be a killer? I think the warning was correct as was containment. That does not mean hysteria needed to follow. :rolleyes:

As far as the sarcasm about the medical facilities on RCL ships...they are pretty good. If the State department got the cruise lines the testing kit for the Swine Flu, then they most likely got a result. I don't know if the cruise lines have the kits yet or not, but it would make perfect sense if they did.

That's the whole point, Swine flu would not have turned into more of a "killer" than any other flu. This was a MILD FLU! Spread or not, it was not a very dangerous flu. Check your facts. All flu's can kill. Many more so than swine flu. I think you just missed the point here.

We are about to set off for a two week cruise in southeast Asia. The issue for us is not the severity or lack of it but the fact that every port on the itinerary is screening passengers and people could be prevented from boarding the ship in Singapore (or be quarantined there) or not let off at ports because of their proximity to airline passengers who were diagnosed with it or because other passengers come down with it during the cruise. Ask the mayor of New Orleans about his current trip to Shanghai!

That's the whole point, Swine flu would not have turned into more of a "killer" than any other flu. This was a MILD FLU! Spread or not, it was not a very dangerous flu. Check your facts. All flu's can kill. Many more so than swine flu. I think you just missed the point here.

My point is that when a new strain of flu appears nobody knows if it will be a killer flu or not. It is best to error on the side of caution. It will be a tragic day the CDC and WHO don't put out the word and take precautions for the strain that turns into a killer. :rolleyes:

As far as we know maybe it is because of the precautions and extra care to contain the outbreaks that we are not seeing killer flues.

It takes over a week to get H1N1 subtyping back from the CDC. That is not of much help on a 7 night cruise. No one is knocking the medical facilities aboard the ships. But they sure are not going to be able to accomplish something that we can't even get done on land.

As for your comment about CDC's warnings and killer flu strains, there have already been way to many false alarms on this issue. I am not going to go back and review them all. You know the old story about crying wolf one too many times....

Archived