Manhattan post cruise July 4, worth staying to see?

Middleager

There is a 4* listed on Hotwire in Hoboken/Jersey City for $119.00 + tax right now. A little cheaper than what you have AND any of the 4* hotels in that area are right on the water. There are only 3 4* hotels in the area-Westin Newport, Hyatt on the Hudson and the brand new W. I really don't know where you would put 5 people in one room but I supposed they could bring in a rollaway. You would have to call the hotel directly.

Thanks for all the advise. I have been bidding on Priceline for many days, for a 4* hotel in Jersey city. Never got it at $81, but just tried $85 and got the Westin Newport (479 Washington Blvd). With $21 tax, it's $106. Plus parking.

So now I'm thinking when we get off the ship, will put our luggage at the van and tour around Manhattan for a few hours. In late afternoon, go back to cruise terminal to get van and drive to the hotel. Eat dinner near hotel then watch the fireworks.

Looks like the cruise port is still a bit of walk to Central Park, or other attractions. The 2-day double decker bus tour at $49/p is too expensive for my family of 5. So we'd welcome ideas of what we can do probably from 10am to 4 or 5pm, before driving out of Manhattan.

Looks like it is NY subway/bus time for you folks. http://tripplanner.mta.info/

You can do your own hop on hop off for a lot less money. $49/pp will buy 25+ separate bus and subway rides in NY (immediate transfers are usually free).

Put on your walking shoes - 8th Avenue is only 4 avenues from the cruise port. Not that far by NY walking standards. Crosstown buses run on 50th and 57th Sts. Since you only have about 6-7 hours in NY, I would come up with a family list of must see's and then plan out a route. We can assist you with the logistics of getting from place to place and how realistic your choices are for the limited time you have.

Thanks for all the advise. I have been bidding on Priceline for many days, for a 4* hotel in Jersey city. Never got it at $81, but just tried $85 and got the Westin Newport (479 Washington Blvd). With $21 tax, it's $106. Plus parking.

So now I'm thinking when we get off the ship, will put our luggage at the van and tour around Manhattan for a few hours. In late afternoon, go back to cruise terminal to get van and drive to the hotel. Eat dinner near hotel then watch the fireworks.

Looks like the cruise port is still a bit of walk to Central Park, or other attractions. The 2-day double decker bus tour at $49/p is too expensive for my family of 5. So we'd welcome ideas of what we can do probably from 10am to 4 or 5pm, before driving out of Manhattan.

Oh, boy. There could be a couple of BIG problems. Hopefully, you bid for TWO rooms. IF you only bid for one, you will get a room with ONE bed. It is up to the hotel to decide IF they will give you a room with TWO beds. Hotels DO NOT have to give you a room with two beds, per Priceline's rules. AND they will NOT bring in a rollaway on a Priceline bid for a 5th person in one room. All part of the Priceline contract with hotels. You MAY have to pay extra upon arrival unless you bid for two rooms for five people.

We always recommend Hotwire when you need beds for more than 2 people for that very reason.

Leaving your car at the cruise terminal MAY NOT work. You will have to be back at least ONE hour before the next ship departs (ships usually sail out of NYC by no later than 5:00PM). They CLOSE the parking garage when ships are not in port. And you will not be able to get the car out. If for some reason you are late back to the cruise terminal it will be a MAJOR hassle to get your car.

Either take the car out and go to the hotel and take PATH back to NYC OR park the car on 51st St (a couple blocks from the pier) OR another parking garage in NYC. Or be back to the garage NO LATER than about 2:30PM.

Here's a website with about every parking garage/lot in NYC. http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php

PLUS it has GREAT maps of NYC with all the side streets. Click on NYC, Daily and pick a neighborhood (pick the W 50's). Then you can move the map around to see just about everything you want to find in NYC. My drivers use this map all the time-it has great detail.

Greatam - I checked back through the posts and we never mentioned Priceline, just Hotwire and I'm sure that's because they told us they were five people. I hope it works out for them. We also mentioned moving their car to NJ and taking Path back into the city. That way they save a day's parking and can stay in NY until 8 pm and still get back to NJ for the fireworks.

Greatam - I checked back through the posts and we never mentioned Priceline, just Hotwire and I'm sure that's because they told us they were five people. I hope it works out for them. We also mentioned moving their car to NJ and taking Path back into the city. That way they save a day's parking and can stay in NY until 8 pm and still get back to NJ for the fireworks.

Parking-you have to pay for the day at the cruise terminal anyhow. Unless they have changed it, they bill per night, not in by 9:00, out by 3:00 and pay for 6 hours. So they have already paid for the day. But they are going to have to MAKE SURE they get back BEFORE the next ship leaves (actually about an hour before-whatever the cut off time is for boarding the next ship). Or they will close the parking garage.

You are correct-we never mentioned Priceline for 5 people. In fact, I specifically posted a HOTWIRE price of $119.00 + taxes for 5 people at a 4* in Jersey City. I HOPE it works out OK. I am afraid they are going to get hit with a lot of extra charges when they try to check in.

If it was a run of the mill, Holiday Inn/Comfort Inn/Courtyard, etc. etc away from the water, I would feel the chances of getting the extra beds would be fairly good without extra charges. But since there are only 3 4* hotels in the Jersey City area and all are on the water, I have a feeling they will be packed with people and there won't be much "give" at hotel reception.

Thanks for the concerns about us getting just 1 bed due to priceline. I called up Westin Newport, and they changed it to a room with 2 beds on high floor with NYC view, no problem. No rollaway, but again no problem if we bring a sleeping bag for the 5th person the little one. He said there's nothing on roof top, but there are lots of places within walking distance to near the river that'll have great view of the fireworks. Parking is $22/d. There are many good reviews on tripadvisor for this new hotel that's less than a year old.

I called the Mahattan cruise terminal, but it's recording only. There is only one ship that day, leaving at 5pm. So I will aim to get back at least by 3pm to drive the van out.

Thanks for the concerns about us getting just 1 bed due to priceline. I called up Westin Newport, and they changed it to a room with 2 beds on high floor with NYC view, no problem. No rollaway, but again no problem if we bring a sleeping bag for the 5th person the little one. He said there's nothing on roof top, but there are lots of places within walking distance to near the river that'll have great view of the fireworks. Parking is $22/d. There are many good reviews on tripadvisor for this new hotel that's less than a year old.

I called the Mahattan cruise terminal, but it's recording only. There is only one ship that day, leaving at 5pm. So I will aim to get back at least by 3pm to drive the van out.

That is absolutely fantastic news. Enjoy!!!!

Archived